Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I just hope that Orakpo developed some more moves during his time off. I think the reason he doesn't get as many holding calls is because he just tries the same move over and over again. Now, shame on the refs for not calling those holds anyway, but if that is what they are being taught, than Orakpo has to adjust.

Then he couldn't sign it until after the seaso, right? Otherwise, a portion of the salary bonus slides into this year even if we stipulate all monies and bonuses for this year remain the same.

I could be wrong

He could get cash this year but the money against the cap goes where Scott Campbell and Eric Schaffer put it.

I just hope that Orakpo developed some more moves during his time off. I think the reason he doesn't get as many holding calls is because he just tries the same move over and over again. Now, shame on the refs for not calling those holds anyway, but if that is what they are being taught, than Orakpo has to adjust.

Recent articles suggest that he has not, and will not, be learning new moves. My biggest worry is that he'll perform at his usual level, which is good, but we pay him like a top tier pass rusher, and he ties up cap money.

Orakpo has moves, he has the bull rush, the swim, the duck and under speed rush, and a decent inside rip. He says he's not going to be something he isn't and just wants to remain a power rusher, which is fine, look at James Harrison as an example. I think Rak will rip it up this year.

Orakpo has moves, he has the bull rush, the swim, the duck and under speed rush, and a decent inside rip. He says he's not going to be something he isn't and just wants to remain a power rusher, which is fine, look at James Harrison as an example. I think Rak will rip it up this year.

I think that is the move I was referencing. When he does it, he always gets put in a headlock and the refs never call it.

All I am saying is that if he mixes them up more than he used to, maybe he will get some holding calls. And the holding calls will force the linemen to think twice about holding him. And that is when Rak can just tee off....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/07/22/redskins-said-to-be-intent-on-signing-brian-orakpo-to-extension/

The Washington Redskins are intent upon extending the contract of linebacker Brian Orakpo, according to a person with knowledge of the team’s plans.

That person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly, said Redskins officials consider Orakpo a key factor in the team’s defensive success and they’re hopeful of striking a deal well before Orakpo would be eligible for free agency next offseason.

Where have I heard this before?...... lol

• 1 month later...

Orakpo has a chance to make a name for himself on Monday night. The way that you slow the Read-Option is with personnel.  Orakpo, because of his strength and size, if he plays well, can help set the edge, for the QB to hand the ball off, and funnel the RB to tacklers.  Or make the play against the QB.  

He's got a great opportunity.  

Orakpo has a chance to make a name for himself on Monday night. The way that you slow the Read-Option is with personnel.  Orakpo, because of his strength and size, if he plays well, can help set the edge, for the QB to hand the ball off, and funnel the RB to tacklers.  Or make the play against the QB.  

He's got a great opportunity.  

Orakpo, will, without question,be Vick's read on a good number of Zone Read plays.

If he knows he's the read, he can leverage his athletic ability to feint in one direction, but commit in the other direction.

So, at its most basic form, make it appear that he is going to crash down on the inside hand-off, so that Vick keeps the ball, but in reality, he planned to step out into Vick's running lane all along. Its almost like doing the scrape-exchange, but with only one player.

You would always rather have the QB run with the ball over the RB.

Archived