Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I don't think Rak is overhyped, for many of us the jury is still out. His presence is definitely felt when he is healthy and on the field. He frees up Ryan and takes some of the pressure off of our less than stellar secondary. We gave up on Carlos Rodgers and LaRon Landry, both went on to be Pro Bowlers with their new teams the following season. I would hate to see that happen with Rak. I think Rak's potential upside with us (if he stays healthy) is larger than his current trade value. After back to back season ending injuries I doubt many teams are going to give up much for him in a trade situation.

Well, I keep thinking I'm going to catch up and then post, so maybe this has been touched on.  The question at hand seems to be about Rak's value in our system and his worth (either contract or trade).  Shanahan has done what he can to create competition.  I'm surprised I haven't seen Brandon Jenkins listed to this point either.  Unknown rookie?  Certainly.  If Rak bounces back and has a good year the skins will try to keep him.  After his injuries it most likely won't be for top 5 money no matter how well he has played.

If Jenkins and Jackson show they can do close to as well as Orakpo, maybe they go with the cheaper pair and look to draft another guy for competition.  I think Rak will sign a slightly more moderate deal to stay with the skins and we'll have a solid set of rush linebackers. 

I really hope a healthy Jenkins shows and we can all do a little dance.

I am going to side with GHH on this one. We seem to fall for hype all to often, Rak is a phenomenal athlete, but doesn't play up to his potential, he has no pass rushing skill to speak of, it's straight-line speed, & brute force, which a bigger man (OT) will neutralize. If he's capable of developing a go to move to get to the passer he would be lights out, but the fact he's yet to develop that tells me he probably can't. I would trade him for picks while he still has value, and I say this only because it could help us to get better as a team, in general I really like the guy! But I really liked what R. Jackson did in his absence.

P.S. Really liking the new improvements with ES!

I'll bite: Other than, in your opinion, not having a pass rush move... How does he not play to his potential? What isn't he doing?

Let me add this nugget:

Redskins all-time sack leaders:

1. Dexter Manley - 89 (.71/game)

2. Charles Mann - 79 (.48/game)

3. Monte Coleman - 42 (.19/game)

4. Ken Harvey - 40 (.54/game)

5. Dave Butz - 34 (.16/game)

6. Andre Carter - 32.5 (.4/game)

7. Brian Orakpo - 29.5 (.46/game)

8. Bruce Smith - 29 ( .46/game)

11. LaVar Arrington - 22 (.27/game)

Please don't compare Rak to LaVar. Please. And Rak's sack/game ratio is pretty high up on the all-time charts for us.

And this is JUST going by SACK numbers.

Let me add this nugget:

11. LaVar Arrington - 22 (.27/game)

Please don't compare Rak to LaVar. Please. And Rak's sack/game ratio is pretty high up on the all-time charts for us.

And this is JUST going by SACK numbers.

Not to be anal, but I know that Dexter Manley had 91 sacks with the Redskins, 97.5 career sacks, and 103.5 sacks if you count the 6 he had in 1981, his rookie season which was the year before sacks became an official statistic. Charles Mann also had 82 sacks with the Redskins and 83 career sacks, Mann is also the Redskins all time leader with 17 forced fumbles. I did some research on some of the Redskins career leaders and I also helped update the Redskins wikipedia page. Any way, I think if Orakpo remains a Redskin and remains healthy, he can become the all time leader for the Redskins in sacks and forced fumbles. HTTR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins Redskins career records towards the bottom

That's being anal. Especially on a point that was backing you up :)

I pulled those numbers off of a web site, I did not see all of their sacks, so I may be wrong. I just did the /game statistics.

And what a fine job you did my friend, I just had to give credit to Manley and Mann for every sack they got with the Redskins.  B)

Thanks for backing me up.

Let me add this nugget:

3 and a half of those sacks Coach in 18 Divisional games. 1 and a bit sacks per season against East teams. 

Statistics darn statististics. 

Hail. 

3 and a half of those sacks Coach in 18 Divisional games. 1 and a bit sacks per season against East teams. 

Statistics darn statististics. 

Hail. 

I will agree with you that is not satisfactory and hopefully that will change soon, I think it will. But just because he doesn't have many sacks against NFC East teams doesn't mean he doesn't get pressure and have an impact, case in point look at the game against the Cowboys to open the 2010 season, Orakpo got held on the final play in which Romo threw the game winning touchdown that was brought back because of the hold. Orakpo won the game for the Redskins with that pressure that he would have most likely had a sack on if not for the hold. I remeber that game clearly because that was when I was trying out being an over the road truck driver, I was at a truck stop outside of Denver, CO. It was funny becuase the Cowboys fans cheered when they thought the Cowboys won, but then the TD got called back and the Redskins fans went wild! Good memory.

Anyway, I believe Orakpo will get a lot more sacks now, not just because of his improved technique, new pass rush moves he's added, and experience playing as a LB, but also because it looks like the Redskins have a high powered offense now that can actually put up some points and get leads. Orakpo should now have plenty of more opportunities now to pin his ears back and chase down the QB to rack up sacks, and hopefully forced fumbles too.

Let's not overlook how much Brian brings as a teammate, he has been an essential element in the rebuilding of character and professionalism in the lockerroom that the new regime had to establish in the wreckage they inherited. He has been more than merely solid, and has shown himself to be a committed player giving all he's got to help the team succeed. We gripe about football being a business and franchises not valuing players the way we as fans do, but we do that too. I want the solid guys, I want the Orakpos and the Cofields doing the heavy lifting, I appreciate the selfless players that focus on the big picture instead of just getting themselves into highlight reels. Trying to assess Orakpo in a vacuum based on sack numbers alone is pretty shortsighted.

This season will be very telling in determining Orakpo's future in Wash. He's been consistently good to above average but not upper tier elite. When he was out last year there was a big drop off in the defense. If the D picks it up again that could help Brian's case for a big time contract.

This season will be very telling in determining Orakpo's future in Wash. He's been consistently good to above average but not upper tier elite. When he was out last year there was a big drop off in the defense. If the D picks it up again that could help Brian's case for a big time contract.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a good to above-average player. Just make sure to pay him accordingly.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a good to above-average player. Just make sure to pay him accordingly.

Therein lies the problem. Raks going to want elite level pay. But it remains to be seen if he warrants that amount.

I like him and hope he stays but that'll remain a question mark until its time to negotiate his contract.

Therein lies the problem. Raks going to want elite level pay. But it remains to be seen if he warrants that amount.

I like him and hope he stays but that'll remain a question mark until its time to negotiate his contract.

Given the fact that it's May and no contract talks have started, trying to determine what Rak does and doesn't want is basically impossible.

If he wants elite pay, I doubt he'll get it here. I'm sure we could discuss if he'd get it anywhere.

Rak is a notch below elite. He is elite at generating pressure and penalties but not elite at getting sacks and forcing turnovers. That's how you earn the big bucks. However when he is clicking our front seven as a whole is unblockable IE Oakland in 09, Rams in 2011 New Orleans in 2012. When he has a dominate game I don't think we have ever lost. If he can do that once our twice a year I am fine with over paying a little because he has nothing but been exemplary redskins. work hard, and produce, you reward guys like that. For those who say he is a one trick pony you are ill informed. He has become a very good run defender (something Rob Jackson wasn't) and you can't really ask for much more in coverage from a 3-4 outside LB. 

If he wants elite pay, I doubt he'll get it here. I'm sure we could discuss if he'd get it anywhere.

The Redskins may try to sign him this offseason and try to get him at a discount, or they may wait to see how he performs next season and if he can remain healthy. If he performs very well, and remains healthy, he deserves to get paid, and with all of the cap space we are going to have next season, I say back up the brinks truck to keep him. A pass rusher is a priority in todays NFL if you want to have a dominant defense.

I'd say right now he's above average, but not elite.  2013 will be a big year for him to see if he can make the jump.  There was talk of him working on new push rush moves last offseason and he showed some in the opener last year.  

My biggest beef with him was not going for the strip sack.  There was the game against Philly I believe in '11 where he had a free blindside shot at Vick.  He got the the easy sack, but Ware, Allen or one of the other elite pass rushers would of gotten the strip.  Kerrigan has as many or  more strip sacks then Rak in a shorter timeframe.  Those are the type of plays that change a game.

Reading this article and seeing the success and more often failures of the 2009 class shows the value of Orakpo in that spot.  He may not be an elite OLB yet but it was a good move for our franchise to get a productive player when so many other teams swung and missed that year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9309332/the-2009-draft-class-vanishing-teams-picked-it

Archived