Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

He's fine, he showed improvement in pass coverage albiet briefly in 2012 vs the Saints.  He's been consistent and I want to see him stay here for a while. Sure he's not putting up Bruce Smith, Reggie White sack numbers, and who knows if he's hit his prime yet.

Remember a guy we used to have in Chris Clemons? I loved him as a skin. He would play like 30 snaps a season but would put great pressure and get sacks here n there. We let him go, and went into his prime several years later in Seattle and at 31 had 11.5 sacks for the 3rd consecutive season.

I don't know why you'd want to let a guy like him walk because he isn't putting up hall of fame numbers.

As far as Orakpo's pass rushing moves, it seems a lot of fans don't think he has any besides his bull rush. But besides his bull rush, he also has learned how to bend and dip his shoulder out of the 2 point stance on his outside speed rush. He also has a really nice swim move as well. It would be nice to see him add a really nice spin move, rip move, and hump move to his pass rushing arsenal too though, hopefully he has a few new moves up his sleeve for this upcoming season.

Orakpo demonstrates his swim move in the below video against Trent Williams.

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/tbd-skins/2010/11/redskins-lb-brian-orakpo-racks-up-sacks-despite-frequent-holds-double-teams-4469.html

One of the most important things Orakpo learned from Mann and Smith was to stay low as he attacks the edge in pursuit of the quarterback. In the past, he always relied just on his power and speed to get into the backfield. But with linemen using different tactics, he tries to switch things up as well.

“I’ve started getting lower under their hands where they like to punch, you know, at the point of attack. You seen in the Colts game, I got lower and was able to dip and get under the guy and to the quarterback,” Orakpo says.

“I’m glad we started working on it in OTAs,” Orakpo says. “It took me a while because I'm not even a three-point stance guy. I was a four-point guy, I would explode and stay low. The trick when rushing out of a two-point stance, and the hardest thing about a two-point is, you're automatically up and you're exposing your chest, so the difficult thing for me was to stay low out of the two.”

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-re...er-2011-season

That being said, Orakpo still is looking inward for improvement, both as a rusher and a run defender. Being able to using your hands effectively as a defender is one of the most vital elements in getting off blocks and attacking the ball carrier. Orakpo's hand usage has been one of his biggest issues in his brief career.

"He would use his shoulders [instead] once in a while last year," Haslett recalls.

This offseason, using his hands as weapons to engage opposing blockers has become a focus for Orakpo. Most of his offseason training activity was spent in Austin, Texas, where he worked on hand to hand combat techniques in his training facility at his alma mater.

" some boxing and MMA type stuff," he explains. " better technique as far as getting to the passer, and [this season] I can transfer it on the field."

"[Now] he's using his hands really well." Haslett says. "It's something he's got to keep working on. He's doing a good job with his hand placement taking on [blockers]."

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/orakpo-will-be-full-go-camp

The two-time Pro Bowl selection also said he focused on preparing for the double-teams he’ll no doubt continue to attract.

That preparation, he said, included work on technique, footwork and hours studying film.

“I’ve been preparing for that,” he said. “Rushing on my own, doing different things, trying to get acclimated to have two bodies on me instead of just one. …When you talk to rushers from around the league, we’re always trying to fine-tune our skills. We watch every game from last season and try to see what we can do to get better.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...ng-repertoire/

“I’m trying to change it up this year,” Orakpo said after practice. “I’ve been working on a lot of different things. I know I got it in my arsenal, but I can’t be afraid to use different things. That’s one thing I wanted to try. Even if I do get blocked, I’m still trying to learn different things, and that’s something I’m trying to incorporate throughout the training camp.”

“I’m physical,” he said. “I like to get into tackles and be aggressive. But I’ve got to switch it up. I’ve got to do different stuff, and I can’t be afraid to use swim or the inside moves. I’ve just got to do it, let it come natural, and then I’ll be good to go.”

I'm not sure how anyone can be convinced of what 98 will or won't want come money time. It's possible he wants elite pay. It's possible he wants very good pay. It's possible he even takes a bit of a discount to remain a Skin. Only time will tell.

Personally, I'd get him signed to a modest deal now. If he has a fantastic year his price tag soars. Waiting after the season is a gamble... Look at the Ravens with Flacco.

Guys understand that in order to be a part of a team, a real team, they may have to sacrifice some personal money. Even DeAngelo Hall realizes that Haynesworth and Hall's contracts hurt us. It's a for the good of the team thing.

I have no doubt Rak will get paid well, yet manageable. If not, he simply won't be here, for better or for worse.

I understand the business perspective of Rak weighing in on fans minds, but from a player perspective he's among the all time best pass rushers in Redskin lore. He's not overhyped, if anything, especially around here it's the opposite. He's undervalued.

The thing about Orakpo is that he's a pass rusher and he knows the premium that the NFL places on pass rush. Shoot, just like 5 years ago we were desperate to get a sack. Now we call it a bad year when Orakpo gets 10 sacks and Kerrigan gets 8.5 sacks. I think a big question is going to be which Redskins FO is going to be here next year. Will it be one similar to the one that brought in Haynesworth? I mean even in 2012 when we brought in Garcon for a big price. Or a few years further back we brought in Wilson for a hefty price. Clearly hefty is relative cause Wilson hefty isn't Haynesworth hefty, but people can rightly question if he's lived up to that contract (and the fact that he renegotiated it might mean something about leaning towards the negative on that). 

I doubt we let him go though. The fact that we've got our draft picks signed means that we don't NEED anything to be done immediately, but I'd bet its on our list of priorities right now. There's probably going to be some difference in guaranteed money and this is where I'm curious to see how the Skins play it because the old Skins would up the guaranteed money counting on keeping the player the whole time, not caring though how much that would restrict us in the future should we choose to cut them. Hopefully that way of doing things is gone, but that's probably directly at odds with Orakpo who likely wants guaranteed money. 

But I think just last year shows that he's a player who's worth trying to get back here. It's probably going to cost a bit to keep him, but unless dude from FSU comes in and shows that Orakpo's pass rush is replaceable, I'm not in favor of going back to the days of no pass rush. 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/11/redskins-orakpo-no-regular-rookie/print/ Redskins’ Orakpo no regular rookie

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2009-12-22-brian-orakpo-rookie-focus_N.htm  Rookie Focus: Brian Orakpo a rare bright spot for Redskins

"At the end of the day, I want to be in the conversation as one of the premier pass-rushers of all-time in this league. It's a tall tree to climb, but we'll see."

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/25357

Darren Chandler, Az

Who was your favorite player groing up?

Brian Orakpo

I would have to say Reggie White. This guy bullied people and was very physical. He was a great all around player and person.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/09/16/game-ending-penalty-start-holding-pattern-redskins-linebacker-brian-orakpo/ Game-ending penalty could be start of holding pattern for Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo

"He has great leverage and he knows how to use it," fullback Mike Sellers said. "He makes a lot of linemen panic because he's one of those new guys in the league that people watch to see what he's doing. He'll be the next DeMarcus Ware, probably even a little bit better, to be honest."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/12/brian_orakpo_cares_about_losin.html Brian Orakpo cares about losing

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/11/26/brian-orakpo-racking-em-up-for-redskins/ Brian Orakpo Racking 'Em Up for Redskins

"I watched film last year and I said, 'Well, he's OK as a cover guy,' because they used him as a linebacker more than a rush guy," Haslett said. "I think he's a heck of a cover guy. He knows how to cover tight ends and running backs when he gets in space. He's really smart. He's really athletic. You got to have a will to do it. He has the ability to (play the run and cover receivers) and be really good at it. I think he's an excellent run defender. I think he can do everything."

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/brian-orakpo-workout-arcl-1257.html Brian Orakpo Workout   

Orakpo's 40 yard dash time is a blistering 4.63 seconds, which is blazing fast for someone his size and to rep out 225 pounds on the bench press for 31 times is something unheard of. Orakpo has a vertical leap of 42" (39 1/2" in the draft, but now has boosted it up a few inches since he came into the NFL), which is actually better than Dr. J's (41") and Kobe Bryant's (38") if you can believe it, despite the extra 50 pounds he carries. Orakpo is that physically gifted.

I don't think he's been as good as we anticipated he would, but he has been a solid pass rusher. The two things I've been the most disappointed about is his lack of versatility in pass rushing and durability. I give him major points for getting better in pass coverage. 

2013 Brian Orakpo season prediction...

85 combined tackles

20 sacks

33 QB hurries

12 QB hits

8 forced fumbles

3 fumble recoveries

1 safety

8 passes defensed

2 interceptions

1 defensive touchdown

10 stuffs

1 blocked kick

pro bowl

1st team all pro

defensive player of the year

super bowl mvp

super bowl ring

ap111106075083_display_image.jpg?1357521

I don't think he's been as good as we anticipated he would, but he has been a solid pass rusher. The two things I've been the most disappointed about is his lack of versatility in pass rushing and durability. I give him major points for getting better in pass coverage. 

What did you expect him to be? In three seasons + 2 games he is 7th in Redskin HISTORY in sack totals. He does a tremendous job generating pressure and has improved his game versus the run and in pass coverage, though I'd say coverage is still his achilles heel. I think a lot of people here have actually forgotten how good Orakpo really is due to not seeing him play for essentially an entire year.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate concerns with parts of his game... There are. But having said that, he's done everything we've asked him to do.

But the durability point that you made is probably the WORST reason given for being disappointed in him. In his first three years he missed ONE game. Last year was the only year that he missed multiple games, and that happens when you have the type of injury he had. I'm not even sure where this durability issue got started... Was it someone that just wanted to rag on him so they made it up, or is it because people consider any injury a durability issue? It's absurd.

This is such a dumb question IMO. He's far from overatted. He's is a damn good rusher. We miss use him and we have a Joke for a D Coordinator. I bet when Hasslett "Mr Predicatble" gets canned Rakpo will be back in the pro bowl. Rak Would have about 15 sacks a season if Holding was actually being called in Washington. LMAO I remember hearing people **** about RK being overated, or not as effective without Rak. Truth is, RK got the Rakpo treatment last season. Getting held on damn near every play. I tell people to look at the game film from last season. Watch RK he looks just like Rakpo. Killing Ol men, but gets a obvious Choke hold move being put on them. Both of our guys are goog. they are being used incorrectly by our DC. When Jh gets canned this season for having the worst ranked defense in the league again we will see these playmakers become elite. Now are you saying is Rakpo worthy of trading? Hell yes is the answer to that question,but Rak & RK are studs. Stop hating on them. It's not their fault that the Redskins get the short end of calls. Now with the RGIII factor the Zebra's won't be able to get away with that crap anymore #HTTR I love my team  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000208163/RG3-is-taking-the-patiently-aggressive-approach  Brian Orakpo says he is going to be a force to be reckoned with this upcoming season. Orakpo, Cofield, and 4 other Redskins players worked out with technique coach Jay Caldwell in New Jersey this off season to improve their hand technique and explosiveness.

http://tbrtraining.com/?page_id=25

Jay Caldwell, the creator of Total Body Recognition (TBR) Technique Training, is a highly sought after Technique Coach by both professional and collegiate athletes alike. Mr. Caldwell has perfected applying a fusion of wrestling, boxing, and karate movements tailored to optimize performance for specific positions in a number of sports at the professional level.

Under the tutelage of the great Carl Adams-­‐Boston University Wrestling Head Coach, 2x National Champion, and 3-­time All-American-­‐Jay gained valuable experience and insight about the technical aspects of body alignment, posture, and leverage that is the foundation of his TBR techniques.

Jay’s client list continues to expand as he has provided training and film analysis for well over 30 accomplished NFL players, Pro Bowl, and Super Bowl Champions. His list of clients include: B.J. Raji (Green Bay Packers), Justin Tuck (NY Giants), Courtney Upshaw (Baltimore Ravens), Osi Umenyiora (Atlanta Falcons), and Margus Hunt (Cincinnati Bengals). Most recently, several of the Washington Redskins Defensive line players contracted Jay for a specialized technique camp.

Archived