Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/for-brian-orakpo-its-not-all-about-sacks--and-yet-it-is/2013/06/02/a0ce39a6-caed-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html

Redskins outside linebacker Brian Orakpo wanted to make something clear. Orakpo knows he isn’t widely considered an elite player. But he should be listed among the NFL’s best. Just ask him.

“Absolutely,” he said after organized team activities Thursday at Redskins Park. “My teammates know it, my coaches know it and my peers, the guys I go against, they know it. . . . The perception that’s out there man, trust me, that’s gonna change.”

Haslett is Orakpo’s biggest supporter in the organization. Orakpo doesn’t get the credit he deserves for his overall impact on the Redskins’ defense, Haslett often says. Orakpo is particularly strong against the run, “and in our scheme, we rely heavily on stopping the run first,” Orakpo said. “That’s what Haz wants us to do. Once we do that, then we get after it (rush the passer).

“I’m not rushing as much as some of those other guys (3-4 outside linebackers). And you have a lot of one-dimensional guys out there. All they do is get after it. Man, I take pride in everything I do in my craft. I take pride in getting it done on both sides and helping my teammates.”

Orakpo only has one double-digit season, “and the perception is that if you don’t get around that [16-sack range], you had a good year but you didn’t have a huge year,” Orakpo said. “Obviously, I haven’t hit the range.

“But if you look at the film . . . it’s havoc all the time, man. I’m creating stuff — hurries, this and that. . . . Now, don’t get it twisted. I always want to have a big year. And I know I can.”

This is the year Orakpo absolutely dominates.

Thought I'd post this since there seems to be a disagreement as to Orakpo's play in regards to where he was drafted.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/pick/13

13th Pick in Round of NFL Draft

Year Name Team Round Pick Player Position College

2013 Sheldon Richardson Jets 1 13 13 DT Missouri

2012 Michael Floyd Cardinals 1 13 13 WR Notre Dame

2011 Nick Fairley Lions 1 13 13 DT Auburn

2010 Brandon Graham Eagles 1 13 13 LB Michigan

2009 Brian Orakpo Redskins 1 13 13 LB Texas

2008 Jonathan Stewart Panthers 1 13 13 RB Oregon

2007 Adam Carriker Rams 1 13 13 DE Nebraska

2006 Kamerion Wimbley Browns 1 13 13 LB Florida State

2005 Jammal Brown Saints 1 13 13 T Oklahoma

2004 Lee Evans Bills 1 13 13 WR Wisconsin

2003 Ty Warren Patriots 1 13 13 DT Texas A&M

2002 Donte' Stallworth Saints 1 13 13 WR Tennessee

2001 Marcus Stroud Jaguars 1 13 13 DT Georgia

2000 John Abraham Jets 1 13 13 LB South Carolina

1999 Troy Edwards Steelers 1 13 13 WR Louisiana Tech

1998 Takeo Spikes Bengals 1 13 13 LB Auburn

1997 Tony Gonzalez Chiefs 1 13 13 TE California

1996 Walt Harris Bears 1 13 13 DB Mississippi State

1995 Mark Fields Saints 1 13 13 LB Washington State

1994 Joe Johnson Saints 1 13 13 DE Louisville

1993 Brad Hopkins Oilers 1 13 13 T Illinois

Just did the last 20 yrs. Kinda odd the Saints had 4 #13 picks in that span.

FWIW:

An article from PFF in March has a blurb about Orakpo in their 2009 first round "re-draft".

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/27/pffs-2009-first-round-re-draft/

13. Brian Orakpo, OLB, Washington Redskins

Key Stat: Owner of the sixth-highest Pass Rushing Productivity score of all 3-4 outside linebackers in 2011.

Notes: Orakpo was miscast in his rookie year as a 4-3 outside linebacker, but since switching to a more attacking role in the Redskins’ 3-4 defense he has flourished. Year after year he has has shown significant improvement, even if he may never be the most complete defender in the league. It’s a shame he missed so much of 2012 injured because his 2011 season, where he earned a +20.0 pass rushing grade, was something to really build on.

Another early year blurb about Orakpo from PFF.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/01/next-man-up-2012a-biggest-losses-and-best-subs/

The Costliest Injuries of 2012

5. Brian Orakpo, 3-4 OLB, Washington Redskins

During the 2011 season, Brian Orakpo emerged as one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL. He earned 59 quarterback pressures and four batted passes, and his 12.2 Pass Rushing Productivity was fifth-best among all starting 3-4 outside linebackers. He picked up right where he left off this season, tallying four hurries, a sack, and a forced fumble in a game and a half. But a nagging pectoral injury returned and left the Redskins without their best pass-rusher for the rest of the season. Backup Rob Jackson played admirably in reserve, with four interceptions and just 35 yards allowed in coverage. However, he wasn’t close to the disruptive force that Orakpo was, with just 17 quarterback pressures and a 7.3 PRP. He was particularly ineffective down the stretch, with just one sack and one hurry in 69 pass rushes over his last four games, including no pressures in the Redskins’ playoff loss to the Seahawks. Washington is left to wonder if their playoff run may have lasted longer with a healthy Orakpo rushing Russell Wilson.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/06/06/brian-orakpo-pectoral-comeback-robert-griffin-iii/2397639/ Brian Orakpo: Defensive Player of the Year is 'very obtainable'

A share of Comeback Player of the Year honors is not the only individual goal Orakpo is chasing.

"Defensive Player of the Year is a goal of mine,'' Orakpo said. "I worked extremely hard this offseason and Defensive Player of the Year is very obtainable."

"I would love to be Redskin for life," Orakpo said.

Last week, Orakpo unleashed a wicked spin move against Pro Bowl left tackle Trent Williams, who acknowledged Orakpo is a chore to block. Head coach Mike Shanahan has noticed.

"I walked over to Brian yesterday and said, 'Hey, I know what it's like to be out. Sometimes, you miss the game,' " Shanahan said, who took a sabbatical in 2009 after his firing in Denver. "He said, 'You really do. You realize how much you enjoy playing, once you're away from the game.'

"I said, 'I just love the way you're playing. Your energy, your attitude.'

"You can tell he's giving everything he has," Shanahan added. "He's really practicing like that."

Orakpo said he learned it's not all about sacks after watching 2012 Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt impact games by batting down 16 passes, along with his 20.5 sacks and four forced fumbles.

"It's not even about double-digit sacks, it's about being disruptive and being a force out there like I've done and I know I can be again," Orakpo said. "Sometimes you can have eight sacks and still be a dominant force. It's all about being disruptive and being relentless to the quarterback."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/64552/91-day-nfl-warning-brian-orakpo-is-back-and-he-looks-as-good-as-ever

In 2011, Orakpo’s third season, the outside linebacker finished the season with nine sacks — less than half the total of that season’s sack king, Jared Allen. Teased out, though, the numbers show that Orakpo’s year ranks alongside Allen’s, and just about anyone else’s. His 49 combined hits and hurries were just two fewer than DeMarcus Ware’s total, according to Pro Football Focus. Orakpo had 12 fewer pressures than Ware and 22 fewer than Cameron Wake (who led all 3-4 outside linebackers), but he also rushed the passer less often. According to PFF’s numbers, Orakpo came on just 74.4 percent of pass plays, a rate almost 10 percentage points lower than Ware. Overall, it leaves their pass-rushing production at about the same level.

That’s the player Washington missed out on last year, and it lost him just as his pass-rush mate emerged as one of the best 3-4 outside linebackers in football. Ryan Kerrigan was second among players at the position with 69 total pressures a year ago, and his season was good enough to get the 24-year-old to the Pro Bowl.

kerriganrak1010.jpg?uuid=6iC2EO4DEeCBjMD

Kerrigan/Orakpo = Mann/manley: i love that we have both of these monsters on our defence cant wait for them to start shredding offences

You can't do an equal..that's disrespect. We hope this combo will be close to or better than they were, but they aren't equal. yet.

I love what I've seen out of Kerrigan so far...and have high hopes for Rak this season.

Kerrigan/Orakpo = Mann/manley: i love that we have both of these monsters on our defence cant wait for them to start shredding offences

Just seen this. 

Come on man. We all like we what have and hope they turn out to be league dominant for many years to come. 

But to compare them to absolute living Redskins legends?

Come on man. 

Hail. 

I think John Elway is still getting sacked by Dexter and Charles (and Alvin Walton for that matter :) ).

I just got childhood goosebumps all over again at the memory's of Richies ubber dominant D lead by the Secretaty of Defense and his compadres.

Happy days.

Hail.

Full disclosure, I watched it with my son this weekend.  He's learning "Hail to the Redskins" and that game (especially the 2nd quarter) offers plenty of chances.  So proud of the little dude.  He's got the first verse down.

Totally forgot how dominant Alvin Walton got in that game as the game went on.  But I digress.

Orakpo and Kerrigan need at least one of those before they can boast Manley or Mann, who each have two.  And that goes for the overexcitement of the fanbase (which... is why this thread exists  ;) )

I think John Elway is still getting sacked by Dexter and Charles (and Alvin Walton for that matter :) ).

I just got childhood goosebumps all over again at the memory's of Richies ubber dominant D lead by the Secretaty of Defense and his compadres.

Happy days.

Hail.

Full disclosure, I watched it with my son this weekend.  He's learning "Hail to the Redskins" and that game (especially the 2nd quarter) offers plenty of chances.  So proud of the little dude.  He's got the first verse down.

Totally forgot how dominant Alvin Walton got in that game as the game went on.  But I digress.

Orakpo and Kerrigan need at least one of those before they can boast Manley or Mann, who each have two.  And that goes for the overexcitement of the fanbase (which... is why this thread exists  ;) )

:lol: You're diplomacy becomes you man. 

And bless the lil' dude. Not only are he and his brother adorably cute' he's 'super smart' and a 'core Redskin (fan)' already at such a young age as the great man would say.  :)

Hail. 

“Absolutely,” he (Stephen Bowen) said. “It’s about getting better pressure. The year before I had six sacks.”

The entire defense was thrown off kilter after defensive end Adam Carriker and pass-rushing linebacker Brian Orakpo were lost to injury in Week 2 last season. And the defensive line was no exception, Bowen said.

Overall, the starters along the line saw their sack total decrease from 14.5 in 2011 to 3.5 last season.  

Getting Orakpo back will help, Bowen said. So will a more experienced Jarvis Jenkins.

“I’m not making any excuses, but having Rak back, when he’s there, the offensive line has to pick their poison,” Bowen said. “Who do you block?”

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/bowen-aims-be-more-disruptive-force

2013 Brian Orakpo season prediction...

85 combined tackles

20 sacks

33 QB hurries

12 QB hits

8 forced fumbles

3 fumble recoveries

1 safety

8 passes defensed

2 interceptions

1 defensive touchdown

10 stuffs

1 blocked kick

pro bowl

1st team all pro

defensive player of the year

super bowl mvp

super bowl ring

If he ends up with those numbers, that would be just about the best season ever by a defensive player. Not that I'd be complaining...

For gits and shiggles, because I've seen more than a few people say "We drafted him 13th overall to be this or that", lets look at some other 13th overall picks.

2005: Jammal Brown, OT, 85 starts out of 84 games, 2006 and 2008 Pro Bowl, 2006 All-Pro

2006: Cameron Wimbley, DE, 48.5 career sacks in 7 years with three teams, 110 starts in 111 games.

2007: Adam Carriker, DT, who was pretty much considered a bust until he got here. 2 sacks in 3 years with the Ram, missed the entire 2009 season.

2008: Jonathan Stewar, RB, 3,836 yards, 27 touchdowns, 19 starts in 71 games

2010: Brandon Graham, DE, 8.5 sacks in 3 years with 32 games played and 12 starts

2011: Nick Fairley, DT, 6.5 sacks in 2 years with 23 games played and 7 starts

2012: Michael Floyd, WR, 45 receptions, 562 yards, 2 touchdowns, 3 starts, 

With the exception of maybe Cameron Wimbley (who's 26.5 sacks after four seasons still don't match up to the glamour stat 29.5 that Rak is getting crud for), and keeping in mind that Fairley and Floyd are still early in the careers, I'd say that Rak had exceeded expectations for a guy drafted 13th overall.

Archived