Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I like everything I've heard out of the offseason camps thus far about him. Looking like a straight beast off the edge. He 1)needs to stay healthy, and 2) have a 13+ sack season.

Agreed. I think Orakpo needs any number over 13 sacks this year to show he is becoming the player that we saw with so much promise his rookie year. If he mans up, then Kerrigan will be elevated as well.

I think I hate the sack stat. Not because I hate sacks, but because of how it makes all other aspects of DL play look inferior, which is blatantly not true.

I'm with you coach.

It's like judging a cornerback solely on his INTs, or a quarterback solely on how many yards he throws. So much more factors into what makes a player a good or great player other than that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/26/brian-orakpo-says-a-season-on-the-sideline-made-him-smarter/

“Just watching, missing so many games, and having a different perspective of the game, I was able to actually learn what offenses are really doing instead of just running plays, instead of just getting after quarterbacks,” Orakpo said. “I could kind of sit down and go over what is going to happen beforehand. That is something I picked up a lot. The first day in OTAs that I was able to participate in, I am out there flying around, calling stuff out; it is starting to become natural for me now instead of just going out there being athletic and rushing the passer.”

I like everything I've heard out of the offseason camps thus far about him. Looking like a straight beast off the edge. He 1)needs to stay healthy, and 2) have a 13+ sack season.

Agreed. I think Orakpo needs any number over 13 sacks this year to show he is becoming the player that we saw with so much promise his rookie year. If he mans up, then Kerrigan will be elevated as well.

Kerrigan is already very good, potentially dominant even without Orakpo's help...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=6495&line=263899&spln=1

According to Pro Football Focus, Ryan Kerrigan led all 3-4 outside linebackers
in quarterback hurries with 50 last season.
Kerrigan
terrorized opposing quarterbacks even though pass-rushing partner Brian Orakpo
played in just two games. So Kerrigan saw increased offensive attention. He
racked up 8.5 sacks, 54 tackles, one interception, two forced fumbles and eight
pass breakups. Kerrigan will see more single blocks this year.

I think I hate the sack stat. Not because I hate sacks, but because of how it makes all other aspects of DL play look inferior, which is blatantly not true.

Couldn't agree more Coach. 

But when it comes to payday, that's what separates the top guys from the rest. Love 'em or hate them, sacks are a necessary evil when it comes to defining pass rushers. 

Hail. 

Kerrigan is already very good, potentially dominant even without Orakpo's help...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=6495&line=263899&spln=1

According to Pro Football Focus, Ryan Kerrigan led all 3-4 outside linebackers

in quarterback hurries with 50 last season.

Kerrigan

terrorized opposing quarterbacks even though pass-rushing partner Brian Orakpo

played in just two games. So Kerrigan saw increased offensive attention. He

racked up 8.5 sacks, 54 tackles, one interception, two forced fumbles and eight

pass breakups. Kerrigan will see more single blocks this year.

Great stats on Kerrigan. He could be in for a huge breakout year with Orakpo back and the reduced attention from what he got used to seeing last year. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Orakpo-Im-Going-To-Rip-It-Up-This-Year/cdf77f32-e31c-40c5-ac75-929dd981194f

One of the criticisms from fans and the media has been the perception of a lack of a second move to keep him from getting held by offensive linemen.

As far as Brian Orakpo is concerned, he already has all of the necessary tools at his disposal.

“It’s not hard [to add moves], but you have to play your game. I’m going to come out and do what I do,” he said. “You are never going to see a spin from me, because that’s not my type. You’re not going to see other moves that other people are doing, because that is their body types.

“I’ve been doing this for a long time. I’m going to continue being a powerful, edge pass rusher. I do have counter moves, inside stuff like that, but you have to know what type of player you are. You don’t want to go out there and look stupid trying to imitate someone else.

“I could care less what people say. You just have to go out and do your thing. Believe in what your coaches are critiquing you on your game, and try to establish that on Sundays.”

Just going to stick with the bull rush, then, I guess.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Orakpo-Im-Going-To-Rip-It-Up-This-Year/cdf77f32-e31c-40c5-ac75-929dd981194f

One of the criticisms from fans and the media has been the perception of a lack of a second move to keep him from getting held by offensive linemen.

As far as Brian Orakpo is concerned, he already has all of the necessary tools at his disposal.

“It’s not hard [to add moves], but you have to play your game. I’m going to come out and do what I do,” he said. “You are never going to see a spin from me, because that’s not my type. You’re not going to see other moves that other people are doing, because that is their body types.

“I’ve been doing this for a long time. I’m going to continue being a powerful, edge pass rusher. I do have counter moves, inside stuff like that, but you have to know what type of player you are. You don’t want to go out there and look stupid trying to imitate someone else.

“I could care less what people say. You just have to go out and do your thing. Believe in what your coaches are critiquing you on your game, and try to establish that on Sundays.”

Just going to stick with the bull rush, then, I guess.

Which is perfectly fine, because Orakpo is quite the beast as is. I don't know, does James Harrison have an awesome spin move? How about D Ware? Those guys seem to be pretty consistent in how they attack the passer and are VERY good at it, right? 

I agree about the sack stat.  Good call.  Like what if a QB throws the ball away b/c of pressure?  Does that get included in stats?  It's bascially a loss of down due to a pass rush, but if one of the guys don't get a sack, it's like they're not credited.

Even if Rak isnt putting up 15 sack seasons he is still a very good player and starter to have on any defense.  He doesnt need to be Reggie White for him to be valuable to us, just having him out there and healthy this season is better than NOT having him like last season.

I digg Rack off the edge and his bull rush. I think he gets held a lot and the zebras don't  flag a lot of holds which should be called.

It sickens me, Rak gets close-lined around the neck and dragged down on many plays, these should all be penalties. It is what it is.

My beef with Rak is his health. I hope he can finally contribute for a full season. The three games and out routine is just not acceptable regardless of how good he is. I do like Jackson as an alternative, he is better in coverage.

Let's hear it for Rak playing the whole season!   B)

Now how does that above quote work when many in this thread argued he does have multi-moves?

Strange.

Hail.

I know that wasn't directed at me, but if I can respond...

All a good pass rusher needs is two good moves. A main and a counter - most often an outside and an inside move. That's what he said he has, so I'm good with it. If his bull rush hasn't lost anything, and he has at least a somewhat effective counter (inside) move, he can get to be dominant.

With the exception of maybe Cameron Wimbley (who's 26.5 sacks after four seasons still don't match up to the glamour stat 29.5 that Rak is getting crud for), and keeping in mind that Fairley and Floyd are still early in the careers, I'd say that Rak had exceeded expectations for a guy drafted 13th overall.

I think most of the Orakpo's hype ( fan's extremely high expectation) is not based on his draft position but based on his rookie season... We were expecting Orakpo to be Ware (in his prime) type of passing rushing machines but he has yet to have that type of impact consistantly.

Still he is the best pass rusher we have on the team and honestly, these guys don't grow on trees...

I think Orakpo has not lived up to his type mainly because it was way too high to start with.  Saying all that, I can't see a scenario in which Redskins do not "over pay" little bit to lock him up for next 4-5 years if he is healthy..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/07/22/redskins-said-to-be-intent-on-signing-brian-orakpo-to-extension/

The Washington Redskins are intent upon extending the contract of linebacker Brian Orakpo, according to a person with knowledge of the team’s plans.

That person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly, said Redskins officials consider Orakpo a key factor in the team’s defensive success and they’re hopeful of striking a deal well before Orakpo would be eligible for free agency next offseason.

I think watching a healthy Orakpo this year will remind us what kind of difference maker he is.  He was so missed last year, I think we took him for granted. We're so quick to judge him on what he's not, and we don't think about how he fits into our system on defense and what he brings to the table.  So he's not a Superstar, Oh well...He's still the best edge rusher we have, and still a HUGE difference maker not only for the secondary but Kerrigan as well

I think watching a healthy Orakpo this year will remind us what kind of difference maker he is.  He was so missed last year, I think we took him for granted. We're so quick to judge him on what he's not, and we don't think about how he fits into our system on defense and what he brings to the table.  So he's not a Superstar, Oh well...He's still the best edge rusher we have, and still a HUGE difference maker not only for the secondary but Kerrigan as well

This is good stuff right here.  Does anyone think we extend him before the season starts?

This is good stuff right here.  Does anyone think we extend him before the season starts?

I think we do. Rotoworld put it best about our idea to sign him now instead of after this season, it's sleazy but we could benefit if 'Rak breaks out.. 'Rak talks about having an MVP type season say what you want about his prediction but if he delivers and has that career year his price tag skyrockets and we may not be able to afford him.

If you look at the DE, rush Linebackers, OLB FA signings this off season, seems rush LB got better contracts compared to their counterparts, its not a wide margin but the biggest deals were given to them. Paul Kruger (Rush LB) got 5 years 41mil. Dumervill (DE) got 5 years 26 mil. Philip Wheeler (OLB) 5 yrs 26 mil. Those are the best contracts for those positions this off-season. IDK about you but 'Rak's resume is 10x better than Krugers, and Paul played on an amazing defense.. 'Rak hasn't.. I'm thinking his agent is asking for 50 mil.

So if we can sign him now, we run to risk of either getting played if he regresses, or we could save some money if he delivers for the next few seasons and we get him for maybe a bit less than if he hits the open market. If we can't get a deal done we run the risk of losing him if he has a great year, or signing him to a huge deal that affects other important players contracts..I guess its on 'Rak, if he bets on himself, he doesn't sign. If he has kids to feed and family to take care of, we get a deal done soon.

Rotoworld said what our FO is doing is sleazy but understandable and while you can make the argument that supports it, it could benefit the team..

Rotoworld said what our FO is doing is sleazy but understandable and while you can make the argument that supports it, it could benefit the team..

Well they said it would be a shrewd business move not sleazy...  Plus many of smarter teams that tends to avoid cap problems do this all the time...

If we can get Orakpo signed to a good contract with some insurance against any major injuries  this year then I think we we should go and do it.  If we can get him for something around what Kruger got then we will be doing real good...

Archived