Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Almost done with s2 of my rewatch of Star Wars Rebels. I'm not convinced there was a better star wars show (cartoon or live action) than this one. I know people are partial to Clone Wars, but the time jumping in that one always throws me off.

This show builds from 5 years before Battle of Yavin (Luke blowing up the first Death Star) to 1 year before. If you love Star Wars stuff and haven't watched Rebels, do it. Each episode is only 22mins at most. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 7/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Starting the show Twisted Metal.  Loved this game as a kid.

Binged that whole season this weekend.  Was damn fun and enjoyable.  The Sweettooth character is hilarious.

Crowded Room has been interesting and a change for Tom Holland.  I can see why he said he was going to take a year off from acting after going thru the emotional changes in this show.  

Started Hijack as well with Idris and am enjoying it so far.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Is It Cake?  is awesome for seeing how realistic these bakers can make their cakes look.  It's entertaining to watch them put all the effort into making it and then placing it amongst real items for people to try and guess which is cake.  It should be easy to tell right?  Not so much...

I am also really enjoying Lioness, but I wish I had waited until the season was over to start watching it,  Now I have to wait for a weekly show.  I am spoiled and don't want to wait.  

Edited by gbear
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to recommend Rogue Heroes - MGM+. A phenomenally good show. Crazy Brits (Paddy Maynes was seriously wack) starting the SAS in the Egyptian desert during WWII. Killing Nazis en masse to a soundtrack of AC/DC and Motorhead. ****ing awesome. Too short at six episodes but a new season is coming next year and the yanks are showing up. 

• Thumb up 1

Just finished watching the first season of Severance on AppleTV and OMG is it good!!! Briefly described as drama, dystopian, psychological thriller and sci-fi, it’s addictive from the start and only gets better. The season ender was one of the most riveting pieces of TV I can remember in a long time. Can’t say enough about it.

Just in case you’re put-off by the sci-fi tag, it’s not that kind of sci-fi… It’s filmed in up-state NY using normal people living normal lives. Well, some of them may be…

HIGHLY recommended!

PS: Just realized there’s a 2006 film by the same name. This is a 2022 production 

IMG_0163.jpeg

Edited by FuriousD
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

Finished Twisted Metal last night.  I liked it.  It's pretty short only 10 eps and like 30 mins each, one 20 mins.  It definitely does not take itself seriously at all but was just a fun "turn your brain off" type of show that is pretty over the top.

It's an excellent show when paired with a few puffs.

• Thumb up 1

LA TIMES VIA MSN.COM: Can ESPN survive while cable TV dies? 

Above link for full article by Stephen Battaglio 

>>>>

ESPN has long been called “The Worldwide Leader in Sports,” and for decades no network had it better in the cable business.

When consumers pay their cable or satellite TV bills, networks get a cut, and the biggest portion is passed along to ESPN whether you watch it or not. It has long been the most expensive part of the pay-TV bundle, currently getting close to $9 per subscriber.

Live NFL, NBA and Major League Baseball contests and the authoritative highlight show “SportsCenter” made the Walt Disney Co. unit's package of channels a must-have for households with sports fans.

ESPN commanded fee increases every time it negotiated new deals with pay-TV providers. The dollars pulled in helped fund the growth of Disney over the years as it became an entertainment behemoth, acquiring Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm.

But the TV game has changed over the last decade — and now Disney is scrambling to come up with a new playbook.<<<

The live action version of One Piece has no reason to be as good as it is.

The story is ridiculous,  the characters are insane and yet for whatever reason it works. 

1/2 through S1 and I'm hooked. Now I feel like I should go watch some of the billion hours of the cartoon version of it when I'm done. 

Also..the actor who plays Monkey D. Luffy is perfectly cast. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 9/1/2023 at 10:06 AM, FuriousD said:

Just finished watching the first season of Severance on AppleTV and OMG is it good!!! Briefly described as drama, dystopian, psychological thriller and sci-fi, it’s addictive from the start and only gets better. The season ender was one of the most riveting pieces of TV I can remember in a long time. Can’t say enough about it.

Just in case you’re put-off by the sci-fi tag, it’s not that kind of sci-fi… It’s filmed in up-state NY using normal people living normal lives. Well, some of them may be…

HIGHLY recommended!

PS: Just realized there’s a 2006 film by the same name. This is a 2022 production 

I watched it a few months ago and sort of forgotten about it, but seeing this makes me anxious to see where season 2 starts. And to see an assault stapler in action.

Before this, the only TV series I remember featuring Patricia Arquette was Medium. It's kind of jarring how opposite of a role she's playing.

31 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I watched it a few months ago and sort of forgotten about it, but seeing this makes me anxious to see where season 2 starts. And to see an assault stapler in action.

Before this, the only TV series I remember featuring Patricia Arquette was Medium. It's kind of jarring how opposite of a role she's playing.

She was in an eight part miniseries a few years ago called The Act. It’s on Hulu. She plays a mom with Münchausen syndrome by proxy. Based on a true story. Worth a watch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 11:50 PM, The Evil Genius said:

The live action version of One Piece has no reason to be as good as it is.

The story is ridiculous,  the characters are insane and yet for whatever reason it works. 

1/2 through S1 and I'm hooked. Now I feel like I should go watch some of the billion hours of the cartoon version of it when I'm done. 

Also..the actor who plays Monkey D. Luffy is perfectly cast. 

Full disclaimer:  Anime nerd here.

One Piece is one of my favorite series and it's up to something like episode 1075 and  I'm up to episode 540-something.

I was skeptical that they could pull it off, but I was wrong.   They nailed it. 

In just 8 episodes, they managed to pull in enough backstory on  characters, and storylines, to make it make it true to the series.   

Even if you don't follow, or know anything about the anime, it's a fun watch.  Plenty to keep you entertained.  I cannot wait for the next season.

On 9/5/2023 at 1:53 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Finished the live action One Piece tonight.

What a first season. And that's how you adapt something from cartoons (comics, manga, etc). 

Exactly.  

They absolutely nailed it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Full disclaimer:  Anime nerd here.

One Piece is one of my favorite series and it's up to something like episode 1075 and  I'm up to episode 540-something.

I was skeptical that they could pull it off, but I was wrong.   They nailed it. 

In just 8 episodes, they managed to pull in enough backstory on  characters, and storylines, to make it make it true to the series.   

Even if you don't follow, or know anything about the anime, it's a fun watch.  Plenty to keep you entertained.  I cannot wait for the next season.

Exactly.  

They absolutely nailed it!

should I invest in the show if it seems impossible they’ll do all of the story from the anime with that many episodes? Are there feasible end points they could use throughout and not continue the story?