Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Really enjoying this limited docu-series on Netflix, "Pepsi, Where's My Jet?"

I remember this promotion from Pepsi in the 90s, but I didn't remember this story.  Basically they had one of those promotions where if you drink a bunch of Pepsi and collect the proof of purchases, you can get stuff like a t-shirt, jean jacket, etc.  They had this commercial on tv that ended with this kid landing a Harrier jet in front of a school and for 7 million Pepsi points, you could get the jet. 

Obviously it was a joke, but the commercial that aired didn't have any fine print.  Anyway, this 20 year old kid near Seattle took it seriously and found a way to get the points through a bit of a loophole.  And dammit, he wanted his jet.

It's really well done, equal parts 90s nostalgia, buddy adventure movie, legal battle and comedy.  And the twist at the end of the end of the 2nd episode is one that I did NOT see coming.

Me and the wife started that last night and finished it today.  It was great, imo.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

That LOTR show on Amazon is about as interesting as watching paint dry in the rain.

I've slept through about 1/2 of the first few episodes and my wife said that we didn't need to go back because I didn't miss anything worth watching.

She's also watching Manifest on Netflix. I've been getting way ahead on the naps.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

That LOTR show on Amazon is about as interesting as watching paint dry in the rain.

I've slept through about 1/2 of the first few episodes and my wife said that we didn't need to go back because I didn't miss anything worth watching.

She's also watching Manifest on Netflix. I've been getting way ahead on the naps.

That show was a big fat "MEH".  The only really good episode was episode 6 if I recall.   I wish they completely just cut out the harfoots from the entire story.  Like just edit every part with them out of every future episode.  The acting is so sub par for a big budget show like that, as are the effects and costumes.  Most scenes are either clearly on a blue screen or they look like something out of a high school play set.  I'm not sure if I'll watch season 2 whenever it comes out.

On another note, Yellowstone season 5 started and 3 episodes in, I gotta say it's just alright.  So far it's my least favorite season of the series.  There are just some story lines that are boring and I just completely don't care about, and they are doing too much flashback stuff.  They are showing stuff in the past that I just do not care about at all and it seems like a huge waste of time.   Some of it is stuff that would have made much more sense way back in earlier seasons but now it seems like it's just filler and showing us stuff we already know.  We'll see where it goes though.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:20 AM, Die Hard said:

Geez, it generally takes me at least 3 seasons before I care to learn the character’s names. 😂

LOTR is definitely a slow burn. But I kinda like it…. we kinda already know how it’ll end. So there’s no rush to the finish line… just build up the journey/story. I think season 2 will have all the action.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:35 PM, Chew said:

Abbot Elementary is top tier.  Five Emmy noms after just one season.  The cast is perfect.  

It's so weird seeing Everybody Hates Chris all grown up.  Dude's 30, **** is wild.  

This is so me! I still call him EHC too. In GOT, I never got past calling dude “Half Man”. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, purbeast said:

On another note, Yellowstone season 5 started and 3 episodes in, I gotta say it's just alright.  So far it's my least favorite season of the series.  There are just some story lines that are boring and I just completely don't care about, and they are doing too much flashback stuff.  They are showing stuff in the past that I just do not care about at all and it seems like a huge waste of time.   Some of it is stuff that would have made much more sense way back in earlier seasons but now it seems like it's just filler and showing us stuff we already know.  We'll see where it goes though.

I concur, pretty much sums up exactly what my wife and I think.

I wasn’t even pumped to watch this weeks episode because I thought the 2 episode season premiere was kind of ho-hum.

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I concur, pretty much sums up exactly what my wife and I think.

I wasn’t even pumped to watch this weeks episode because I thought the 2 episode season premiere was kind of ho-hum.

Casey's whole family storyline is infuriating.  It's just so out of place and stupid, especially what happened in the premiere.  His wife and son are the worst characters on the show and by far the worst actors too.  Them are so bad they seem out of place.  I wouldn't be surprised if both of them have family involved in the show and that is how they got their in lol.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Casey's whole family storyline is infuriating.  It's just so out of place and stupid, especially what happened in the premiere.  His wife and son are the worst characters on the show and by far the worst actors too.  Them are so bad they seem out of place.  I wouldn't be surprised if both of them have family involved in the show and that is how they got their in lol.

It definitely feels like they feel obligated to stuff them in and all I can think of is that it’s wasting time and pulling from better storylines.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It definitely feels like they feel obligated to stuff them in and all I can think of is that it’s wasting time and pulling from better storylines.

It also is a bit jarring how much the actor that plays Carter grew up lol.

I had to IMDB it just to be sure it was the same actor, because he looks so different.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

My girlfriend wasn't in the best mood yesterday and wanted to watch something to make her laugh and we watched this show called Chrisley Knows Best.

I don't typically like trash reality tv but this was one of the funniest things I'd seen in awhile.  Basically this guy, Todd Chrisley, is a real estate mogul in Atlanta.  He's super loaded, his family has something like a 30k square foot house.  He's a control freak, the whole show revolves around him trying to lord over his kids and wife and watch their every move.

I'm pretty sure he's also gay which makes the whole thing weirder and more hysterical.  

On 6/26/2020 at 12:53 PM, The Evil Genius said:

• Thumb up 1

Been watching "Wednesday" on Netflix.  I saw that it smashed some Stranger Things records for most streams or something.

I don't really understand the need to keep bringing back Addams Family stuff but I guess there's a group of fans out there that still pine for this stuff.  It's produced by Tim Burton, who, again, someone I don't see the need for but whatever.

It's like a mashup of Stranger Things and Harry Potter.  Wednesday Addams finds herself being dropped off at this boarding school on the outskirts of an idyllic Vermont Town.  Her parents went there when they were young and after she'd recently been expelled from another school, this is a last ditch effort of sorts.  A murder of a fellow student happens, there's a coverup and some other shenanigans and side stories with her schoolmates.  She's on the hunt to figure out who (or what) murdered her fellow student.  Two guys are interested in her, she's not interested in them, etc.  

I don't think it's nearly as good as Stranger Things, though I do think the girl who plays Wednesday is fantastic in the role, even if the writing is relatively weak (you can see her macabre comebacks coming a mile away and they quickly get old).  The relationship she has with Thing (the severed hand that acts as her sidekick) is pretty great.  

All this said, I like it and I still can't figure out why I do.  I was ready to turn it off after the first 20 minutes of the first episode but decided to keep going.  I'm on the 5th episode now and while there's no real HOLY **** moments like you get in Stranger Things, I'm invested.  

On 11/30/2022 at 11:35 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Been watching "Wednesday" on Netflix.  I saw that it smashed some Stranger Things records for most streams or something.

I don't really understand the need to keep bringing back Addams Family stuff but I guess there's a group of fans out there that still pine for this stuff.  It's produced by Tim Burton, who, again, someone I don't see the need for but whatever.

It's like a mashup of Stranger Things and Harry Potter.  Wednesday Addams finds herself being dropped off at this boarding school on the outskirts of an idyllic Vermont Town.  Her parents went there when they were young and after she'd recently been expelled from another school, this is a last ditch effort of sorts.  A murder of a fellow student happens, there's a coverup and some other shenanigans and side stories with her schoolmates.  She's on the hunt to figure out who (or what) murdered her fellow student.  Two guys are interested in her, she's not interested in them, etc.  

I don't think it's nearly as good as Stranger Things, though I do think the girl who plays Wednesday is fantastic in the role, even if the writing is relatively weak (you can see her macabre comebacks coming a mile away and they quickly get old).  The relationship she has with Thing (the severed hand that acts as her sidekick) is pretty great.  

All this said, I like it and I still can't figure out why I do.  I was ready to turn it off after the first 20 minutes of the first episode but decided to keep going.  I'm on the 5th episode now and while there's no real HOLY **** moments like you get in Stranger Things, I'm invested.  

Wednesday is fantastic. Watched the first 3 eps last night and had to stop at midnight so I wouldn't watch it all night. Can't wait to finish the last 5 tonight or tomorrow.  Jenna Ortega nailed the part 💯

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Wednesday is fantastic. Watched the first 3 eps last night and had to stop at midnight so I wouldn't watch it all night. Can't wait to finish the last 5 tonight or tomorrow.  Jenna Ortega nailed the part 💯

Finished it last night.  Really liked it.  Still not as much as Stranger Things but it's still very good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

After finishing the season 1 finale, I’d vouch for The Peripheral. Looks like it turned into a time travel story line which has been so popular the past couple of years.

I have a 5+ hr plane flight next week, so I was planning on downloading it to my iPad mini. Glad to hear it's a good watch. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

1. Yellowjackets. Star-studded cast. Girls high school soccer teams goes down in place crash in Rockies on way to nationals. They aren’t found for 19 months. The story takes place 20 years later from the perspective of the 4 survivors and their dark secrets of what really transpired. Supernatural element, like Lost. Gore, violence.

2. White Lotus. If Yellowstone draws you in for the beautiful scenery of Montana, WL draws you in for the distinctive music/audio. Very artistic, strange, beautiful, funny, out there, and fun.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1

Team Foxcatcher on Netflix.
Not really notable as anything more than a rich guy goes nuts, kills a wrestler and holes up in his mansion for days documentary...

Except that place is where I spent the best days of my childhood. Before age 10, I lived in Newtown Square PA, and that place was right on the edge. 
If you've watched the show, Dick Fairlamb, the police sergeant / game warden was my uncle. My aunt and he and my cousins lived in one of those houses right up the pasture from the pond. (that DuPont drove his car into several times.) My mom would visit, I'd go. I'd spend weekends there, like two or three times a summer.
For me it was paradise.
I used to fish in that pond. My mom has a picture of me at about age 8, like 1970 or so.. right there on the shore holding up my trout that I caught. I caught lots of fish in that pond. I used to ride my bike all over that place. I rode around through those hunting grounds with my uncle, the fields, ran around trough the barns.

Once when i was about ten I sat on my Uncle's porch (a house you can see once in the film) and John duPont sat there and told me about how having a flush toilet in virginia 20 years prior was a sign of wealth.
Told ME this. My aunt is there, my uncle, my mom, him, me.. and he's like "LISten JOHNNY.. Back in THOSE days, having a FLUCHING commode meant you were QUITE rich...." i was laughing.

I think th last time I was there I was probably 14.

When the murder and standoff happened, it was surreal.

Watching this is quite interesting for me.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bang said:

Team Foxcatcher on Netflix.
Not really notable as anything more than a rich guy goes nuts, kills a wrestler and holes up in his mansion for days documentary...

Except that place is where I spent the best days of my childhood. Before age 10, I lived in Newtown Square PA, and that place was right on the edge. 
If you've watched the show, Dick Fairlamb, the police sergeant / game warden was my uncle. My aunt and he and my cousins lived in one of those houses right up the pasture from the pond. (that DuPont drove his car into several times.) My mom would visit, I'd go. I'd spend weekends there, like two or three times a summer.
For me it was paradise.
I used to fish in that pond. My mom has a picture of me at about age 8, like 1970 or so.. right there on the shore holding up my trout that I caught. I caught lots of fish in that pond. I used to ride my bike all over that place. I rode around through those hunting grounds with my uncle, the fields, ran around trough the barns.

Once when i was about ten I sat on my Uncle's porch (a house you can see once in the film) and John duPont sat there and told me about how having a flush toilet in virginia 20 years prior was a sign of wealth.
Told ME this. My aunt is there, my uncle, my mom, him, me.. and he's like "LISten JOHNNY.. Back in THOSE days, having a FLUCHING commode meant you were QUITE rich...." i was laughing.

I think th last time I was there I was probably 14.

When the murder and standoff happened, it was surreal.

Watching this is quite interesting for me.

~Bang

There’s a movie about it with Steve Carrell.

16 hours ago, Ball Security said:

There’s a movie about it with Steve Carrell.

I know, i haven't bothered with that. My cousins said it didn't really get the feel, and I figure one day if I'm bored, maybe, but no need to see a fictionalization.

~Bang