Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving to Guatemala: 18 Months and Counting

AsburySkinsFan

My family and I have just recently publicly announced that we are preparing to move to Guatemala in order to become full-time missionaries. For some of you who know me, and who know the path that I have been walking over the past three years this will come as no surprise.

Three years ago I went to Guatemala for the first time and over the course of that week my life was forever changed in a way that cannot be unchanged. I fell in love with Guatemala and her people, I fell in love with the ministry being done there and I knew that I wanted to be part of it. My family has spent the past three years in prayerful discernment, at times just allowing God time to answer and at other times in earnest seeking. Over this last year one thing has become more and more clear to me, and that is that serving as the pastor to a local church here in the United States makes me feel like I'm wearing someone else's shoes and I've got them on the wrong feet. This dis-quietedness has been a dull hum in my life for three years and after this long process we have committed ourselves to this mission.

The next three months we will be speaking in various churches as we work to build the mission support team that is so crucial to any missionary endeavor. In June we plan to travel to Texas where we will attend our mission agency's orientation program. After that we will relocate to Central Kentucky for the remaining year where we will work and continue speaking in churches and building support. Our plan is to step into the mission field in June of 2014 for an initial 2-5 year stint.

Yes, we're nervous...but we've already watched God opening several doors just because we started walking toward them.

Ya'll are crazy here, but I consider many of you friends and routinely pray for you and your families, as such I just wanted to share a little of my life and future with you.

We would greatly appreciate any prayers that you would lift up on our behalf

8499074922_010c050297_b.jpg

8497969875_9d9151a469_b.jpg

This definitely isn't too surprising as you've showed such a passion for Guatemala on here and facebook after your missionary trip a few years back. I'm super happy for you and I think your family is going to have an amazing experience :)

My grandparents and a couple uncles were missionaries in Africa. Several of my cousins grew up in Nigeria while their parents were medical missionaries in the 60's and 70's and their stories are incredible. They loved it! I hope your children enjoy it as well and become just as inspired by their time in Guatemala.

Your family will definitely be in my prayers. Please let us know if there is someplace people can go to donate to your family's mission.

We would greatly appreciate any prayers that you would lift up on our behalf

You'll be in my thoughts, because we both know you'll be doing your missionary thing and then get called up to do something else, like Tribal Wars. Someone, Art, will talk you into it, then what will you do?

Anyway, good luck, I hope that you are given the meaning to yours and your families' lives that the sharing and helping of others will provide.

Can people donate through a web site specifically to you?

That option will be available in June, I will keep you posted. The online contributions go through a 501c3 which allows for the tax benefit and they will send you the necessary tax information for your filings. We aren't planning to establish a 501c3 yet, maybe in the future, first we have to get established.

Thank you

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 02:43 AM ----------

This definitely isn't too surprising as you've showed such a passion for Guatemala on here and facebook after your missionary trip a few years back. I'm super happy for you and I think your family is going to have an amazing experience :)

My grandparents and a couple uncles were missionaries in Africa. Several of my cousins grew up in Nigeria while their parents were medical missionaries in the 60's and 70's and their stories are incredible. They loved it! I hope your children enjoy it as well and become just as inspired by their time in Guatemala.

Your family will definitely be in my prayers. Please let us know if there is someplace people can go to donate to your family's mission.

Thank you Katie, I keep telling folks that the only people who are surprised are the ones who don't spend time with us. ;)

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 02:44 AM ----------

Thank you Katie, I keep telling folks that the only people who are surprised are the ones who don't spend time with us. ;)

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 02:48 AM ----------

You'll be in my thoughts, because we both know you'll be doing your missionary thing and then get called up to do something else, like Tribal Wars. Someone, Art, will talk you into it, then what will you do?

Anyway, good luck, I hope that you are given the meaning to yours and your families' lives that the sharing and helping of others will provide.

Tribal Wars is a mission field that is outside of my calling! LoL!

Thank you for your well wishes, we just want to be a blessing to others.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 02:50 AM ----------

From life changing to changing lives. I wish you well on your endeavors. That is a wonderful story. I hope you'll be able to share with us when you are abroad.

Oh, I'll definitely be able to share, a major part of our communication back stateside is via the internet. Trust me, this ain't the last you've heard from me. I'll probably get banned for spamming! :ols:

As you know I am not a praying person that being said I wish you much success and above all Happiness & Safety

If I were not an atheist I would seek a church with a Pastor such as yourself. I have no doubt you will make a difference where ever you go

Good for you Asbury! You've always seemed like a very caring and compassionate person, and I have no doubt your calling will make a huge difference. Be proud of yourself- you should be, and all the best to you and your family! :)

Thank you so very much, I compare this calling to having a stone in your shoe that won't shake out. And as we've started walking forward we've already seen God opening doors ahead of us, kinda like walking into a grocery store, before you get to the door they start opening, but if you weren't walking then they'd stay closed. Lots of work still ahead of us, and a ton of transition, but we are walking by faith and it kinda spooks me!

That's great. I'd love to check that area out. How close are you going to be to Belize? Or are you going to be closer to the Pacific?

What a beautiful place to live and a beautiful thing to do.

We will be just outside of Guatemala city, not far from Antigua. With our visas we will have to leave the country every 90 days in order to renew our visas, and most of the missionaries go to Belize for a weekend to do that, we'll probably join a group. We'll have to do this for two years until we can establish residency, then we can stay on a permanent basis, that will also allow us to purchase property etc. Guatemala is a beautiful country to be sure, but it has so many problems, as any country would that is less than two decades removed from a 30 year civil war. We'll be in the mountains and the temps there are a near constant 72 degrees year round...THAT I can get used to!!

As you know I am not a praying person that being said I wish you much success and above all Happiness & Safety

If I were not an atheist I would seek a church with a Pastor such as yourself. I have no doubt you will make a difference where ever you go

Thank you very much! That means a lot for me to hear, maybe more than you know. I just want to be faithful to this calling in my life.

This is a big, brave decision you and your family are making. I know you'll miss the States, but it seems that God is calling you to assist and enrich the lives of those in Guatemala.

You'll be in my prayers.

Thank you! Guatemala has been in our consciousness for three years now, but we know that there will be a time of culture shock until we settle into our new homes and patterns, but I know that God will lead us through it all, and I know that the rewards will greatly out-weigh any trials.

Good luck and much respect. I hope everything goes well.

I hope so too, there are about 1,000 things left to do before we leave and right now my eyes are on all of them which is needless to say a bit over-whelming.

I'll definitely say a prayer or two for you and that brave family of yours. Remember to be overly cautious until you know the lay of the land, especially what areas/neighborhoods/people to avoid. You're in for some seriously interesting times ahead and I wish you the very best. Thanks for dedicating yourself to helping others.

I'll definitely say a prayer or two for you and that brave family of yours. Remember to be overly cautious until you know the lay of the land, especially what areas/neighborhoods/people to avoid. You're in for some seriously interesting times ahead and I wish you the very best. Thanks for dedicating yourself to helping others.

Thank you very much! We will be partnering with a missionary family who have been serving there for seven years who will be helping us get settled and giving us the lay of the land. I'm nervous as can because I just want to be faithful and serve well.

• 3 weeks later...

People often wonder why we have decided to follow Jesus to Guatemala.

Here is a blog article written by a friend I look forward to serving along-side in Guatemala.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13, 2013

The Cost Of Blood.

As usual, we had another busy day planned for El Rosario. As much as we try to slow down and spend more time with each person we visit, it never seems long enough. But on this day, something weird was happening. On our first visit we dropped off 175 pairs of shoes to a pastor to distribute to outlaying villages. As we were talking to him, the couple we were going to visit next happened to be walking by. We invited them in and before you knew it, our schedule opened up. In the 7 months I have been visiting, this just doesn’t happen.

My good friend and fellow missionary David and I looked at each other. We were thinking the same thing. “Oh man…what does God have planned for us today?” It was a little bit of excitement and a little bit of fear of the unknown.

We then stopped by to visit a single mom, Elvira (pronounced el-vee-duh), to check her new water filter. We helped her set it up a few days ago and this would be the very first day her family would be able to drink purified water. Ever. I have no doubt it will make a significant difference in their health.

As we were leaving, Elvira asked us if we had time to go with her to pray for a friend. As a matter of fact, we did! “Of course!” we answered.

She introduced us to Bernarda, who was also a single mom with 2 boys and a girl. Her older boy was at school and Edie was just hanging out. Her 16 year old daughter was getting water from the well and no longer goes to school. Most kids in El Rosario stop going after the 6th grade. Public school isn’t offered and private school is just too expensive.

“Why aren’t you in school?” I asked Edie.

“I could only afford to send one to school this year. He will go next year.” Bernarda answered for him. (Public school tuition and supplies is about $35.)

I just can’t imagine having to make that decision. We helped more than a dozen kids get to school this year. We asked around. “Are there any other children who are not at school?” It’s so frustrating. If we would have known.

Bernarda looked tired. She was clearly in bed when we stopped by.

“How are you?” I asked.

“Good.” Her answer was more out of politeness than truth.

“Elvira asked if we could pray for you. Is there anything specific we can pray about?” I asked.

“Please pray for my children and pray that I will be able to pay for blood so I can have an operation.”

I’m sure my face must have shriveled up when she said that.

“WHAT?” I had no idea what she was talking about. What did she mean “pay for blood”?

She explained that not only did she have to find a blood donor that matched her blood type but the donor had to be tested and cleared AND THEN they would have to agree on a price for their blood. As it turns out, she had two donors and had already paid one. She was now praying that she would be able to pay for the second.

Bernarda is so sick right now, she can’t work. Her daughter, who lives nearby, helps her with food but the truth is, her daughter doesn’t have enough to feed her own family.

“Bernarda.” My mind was spinning and I couldn’t get the right words out. “We love you. Jesus loves you. God called us here today to pay for your blood.” And as I spoke those words, I couldn’t help but think of the blood of Jesus, covering our sins. And even though we continue to sin, He still loves us. When we repent, our slate is clean. We are forgiven.

“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.” 1 John 1:7

“We are not only going to pay for your blood but we will pay for both of your boys to go to school next year.” David explained. If she had any worry or concern, we wanted to give her a tiny bit of peace.

My 9 year old son Samuel took the day off school to be with me on Friday and so I took a few minutes to catch him up on what had just happened. That Bernarda was a single mom, that she could not send one of her sons to school this year, that she had to have an operation, that she had to find TWO people with the same type of blood, THEN she had to pay for the blood and that she was too sick to work to pay for the blood. It was a lot to take in. I can’t imagine what Samuel was thinking.

“Samuel, we’re all going to pray for Bernarda right now. Would you pray first?” He looked up at me, with very sad and concerned 9 year old eyes and nodded yes. Samuel is our prayer warrior at home and he prayed from the very depth of his loving heart.

Before we left the States, we had more than one person share their concern for our kids. How could we take them from the comforts they were used to in the U.S. and subject them to the poverty of a 3rd world country? On this day, my answer would be, “How could we not?”

Update: I spoke with Elvira tonight and she said that Bernarda had paid for the needed blood, Q150, which is $20 US. She is going in on Thursday to set her appointment at the National hospital which is free. But free comes at a price. She will have to wait and she will probably be squeezed into an already bursting hospital.

Please pray for that she gets the care she needs and that her operation goes smoothly. Please pray that she will recover and be able to continue to care for her children. Praise God that He cleared our schedule that day, that He was able to show Bernarda that He loves her, that He cares for her and that He hears her prayers.

http://georgesisneros.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-cost-of-blood.html

Archived