Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many states in the Union have you lived in ?

deejaydana

PR - Born in Ponce(Navy Dad), came back when I was a year old.

MD - Calvert County. My home. Stayed until I realized it was a dead end and joined the USMC. Still miss the Bay and the culture surrounding it.

PA - 1 year of college in Philly. What an armpit.

SC - If you call 12 weeks at Parris Island living....

GA - Albany, 1 year of school for my military MOS. Small southern town and all that goes with it. Not a bad place all in all

NC - Camp Lejeune.(See Albany above.), Greensboro, Charlotte. Pretty state but the natives are very cliquey. I experienced a lot of fake southern hospitality.

FL - 15 years in Ft Lauderdale area. Great food, great beaches, great weather(I hate the cold!), great nightlife. Outrageous property taxes and insurance and generally rude people. It's exactly what you would expect South Florida to be.

Texas - Dallas area. Yes it's hot but that's not a bad thing for me. Flat and dry. Genuinely nice people everywhere I've been in Texas. I like Dallas but if I could choose a major city in TX, it would have to be Austin. I am in love with that town and don't want to leave when I visit.

Virginia- Grew up there. But I have no desire to ever live there again.

DC- Lived on a boat for almost two years down by the seafood market in SW, then moved to Petworth. Loved living in DC but still no desire to move back.

How was that? I work right off of Maine Ave I can see those boats from my window. Could you give me a rundown of boat living like costs,lifestyle, etc.

I'm pretty boring.

Born in VA (McLean, Falls Church)

Moved to Albuquerque, NM for a year when I was young.

Back to VA (McLean/Falls Church)

Stayed in Virginia for both college degrees

Now that being said, I have a lot of family in New Mexico and Colorado and spent large portions of my summers out there growing up. Not "living" per se but long enough to be familiar. With Colorado, most of the time was in the Fort Collins-Loveland-Longmont area. In New Mexico, it was a tiny, dried up old mining town on the NM/CO border called Raton.

Now that being said, I've been able to travel several places for 1-2 weeks at a time that have allowed me to broaden my scope a little. I hated Detroit, that place was just depressing, and I was in the middle of downtown. I loved Savannah, GA...such an easygoing place, but I was bored by the end of my stay. Boston was absolutely fantastic, I could see myself spending more time there, but I was there in the late spring/early summer, I didn't experience a Boston winter.

Frankly, I really enjoy the DC area. I don't mind the road rage or the power hungry personalities because I'm used to it and don't let it get to me. But I certainly wouldn't mind spending time in a few other places post-retirement. One random town I'd like to go back to for a few days is a place about 60 miles outside of Chicago called Wonder Lake, Illinois. I visited a cousin there years back, and loved the concept of a small town built around a large lake. Very friendly people as well.

Semi-permanent residence in :

WV - till I was 6

VA - All over the southern border. Mostly Norfolk, dad was in the Navy at Little Creek. Moved at 11.

WV - from 11 to 20.

WA-20 to 33 (now). Love the area, traffic sucks, but the ruck marches through the mountains, salmon fishing, snowboarding, mountain bike riding, etc. all within an hour or two of where I live.

I also spent 6 months in Fairbanks, Ak Just amazing.

1 year in northern Iraq. Actually a lot prettier and more awesome than you would think. The lake up there has like 48" trout. Its ridiculous. However, it stinks - all the time.

6 months in Afghanistan. Crap hole. Period.

A month here and there in CA, MD, AZ, NV, all for work. Yuma, Az (outside of WV) would be my favorite place to live. Gorgeous and a lot of great people. Been there like 10 times.

The only states I haven't vistited, at least, are in new england. Thinking about it is wierd. Should probably go ahead and make that happen.

Asheville NC- Moved when I was 4 parents loved the place to young to remember really anything about living there.

Milwaukee WI- Well the suburbs to be exact moved out when I was 7. It was cold very very cold.

Northern VA- Ever since besides 4 years of college at RU the area was nice scenery wise and I enjoyed my professors and classes at RU but the town and the people suck. Probably will be in the northern VA area for the foreseeable future as well.

West Virginia - The state is beautiful....just not the part where I grew up. I have a very strong emotional attachment to WV; I think anyone who grew up there did. We are probably only second to Texans for irrational love of our state. At the same time, I could never live there again. Economically, politically, socially, it is so unattractive to me right now.

New Jersey - I think New Jersey is awesome in its special way. Generally, I don't really like suburban culture and Jersey is one big endless suburb. But it's kind of an ugly, gritty suburb. I find a weird beauty in all the things most people hate about NJ.

Pennsylvania - I like PA more or less. I lived in Pittsburgh, and that is a severly under-rated American city. Though everyone says Pittsburgh is under-rated now, so maybe it's become over-rated. Who knows? I wouldn't live in Central PA if you gave me a house. I like Philly a lot, which I know is an unpopular opinion here but go to hell. I like places with scars.

Virginia - Northern Virginia to be exact, which should be its own state. I enjoyed living there, except I felt like I was suffocating a lot of the time. There is just too many people and too many cars on too little land. And it's all a little too new for my tastes. I lived there for 10 years and always had a good job but never felt like I was ever going to get ahead financially. I could never figure out how anyone could afford a $500K town home with a $600 month HOA fee and still eat. It seemed to be that everyone was either secretly a millionaire or in overwhelming debt.

Texas - I love it here in February. Hate it in July. Like the people. Hate the politics. I like that I have a nice house in a city with 1/3 acre backyard. I hate the fact that there is no zoning and you could literally build a rendering plant on my street if you wanted to. Ultimately, Texas should be its own country. It has nothing in common with any other state, except possibly Oklahoma. I wish I could drop my house and the weather into New Jersey.

Though, I have also lived in Tokyo, Berlin, and Bangkok. Years ago, though.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing another thread that covers places lived and visited abroad just to get ES members stories/experiences on that as well. I know we have a good amount of regulars outside the country and it's always interesting hearing them chime in and contribute.

Pennsylvania - I like PA more or less. I lived in Pittsburgh' date=' and that is a severly under-rated American city. Though everyone says Pittsburgh is under-rated now, so maybe it's become over-rated. Who knows? I wouldn't live in Central PA if you gave me a house.[/quote']

I'll agree with this. My wife's parents live outside of Pittsburgh in a pretty crappy little river town (they're in ministry) and while I don't care for the town, I really enjoy Pittsburgh. My fathers family is all from central PA...a dead railroad town. That place I don't care for at all. I could hunker down in State College if it was football season.

Born in Norfolk Va. From there it was,(I believe):

Fort Rucker Alabama.

Fort Sill Oklahoma.

Forth Worth Texas.

Norfolk Virginia.

Fort Rucker Alabama,(again. 1966-1968).

Fort Sill Oklahoma,(again. 1968-1969).

Colorado Springs Colorado,(1969-1971).

Omaha,Nebraska,(1971-1972).

Fort Leavenworth,Kansas,(1972-1973).

Clarksville,Tennessee,(1973-1975) -------Spent about 2 months of the Summer of 73 just outside Savannah,Georgia before heading to Tennessee.

Fairfax,Annandale,and Alexandria,Virginia (1975-1983). Still like to call that one of my "homes".

Homestead,(HAFB),Florida,(1983-1987). Brief stays,(6 weeks),in San Antonio and Wichita Falls before Florida. Go figure. :silly:

Park City,Utah,(1987-2012).

Carson Valley,Nevada,(2012-present).

:whew:

Virginia- Grew up there. But I have no desire to ever live there again.

DC- Lived on a boat for almost two years down by the seafood market in SW, then moved to Petworth. Loved living in DC but still no desire to move back.

How was that? I work right off of Maine Ave I can see those boats from my window. Could you give me a rundown of boat living like costs,lifestyle, etc.

At the time I didn't have to pay for the boat, it was my grandparents and they bought it when they retired. It was fun when it was nice out, but winter was brutal. It was freezing cold all the time. From what I remember the slip itself was pretty expensive, then you pay for regular ults like cable, water and power on top of it. I can't remember if the parking pass was included or not. So if you were to do it, your paying for your boat and then basically rent on top of that to keep it in the slip. It was fun and if it was just for spring-fall I would do it again, but the winters sucked so much. Worrying about slipping off the pier in the middle of the night into freezing water was another negative. Plus back then SW sucked and was still mad ghetto, this was years before the stadium. I will say this, when I used to party at Nation up the street, all the girls wanted to come back and see my boat lol. Walking home from there was always a throw of the dice though.

I've lived in

PA born and current

MD Raised in PG County

VA Northern VA was my favorite place, but it's too crowded now and too expensive

FL Just sucked. Seriously - too hot and humid, flying 4 inch long roaches that laugh when you step on them. A nice place to vacation, but living in a tourist trap is for the snowbirds.

Birth-1995: Hialeah, FL ('bout 20 minutes outside of Miami). Pretty uneventful place. My dad was working at Homestead AFB at the time. Then in '95, he got a job working for the Pentagon, so we moved to the DC area.

1995-Present: Waldorf/Brandywine/Germantown, MD. When I first moved here I had to immediately get used to the weather. Never saw snow, never saw leaves changing, etc. It was weird as hell. I remember being freaked out during the "Blizzard Of '96", and my mother dam near suffocating me with extra layers and ****.

Anyways, I lived in Waldorf long enough to see a dramatic transformation. When I first moved there, there was a bunch of "New" stuff going on, with a lot businesses coming into the area. Then as the years went on, it became more and more, and more and more crowded, to the point where it eventually became a pain in the ass. But I love Maryland, and I love the DC area in general. I'll probably end up moving back to Florida someday, depending on what opportunities present themselves, but this place will always be home to me.

Orange County, Irvine, CA. Gorgeous place South of LA, Huntington Beach

Philadelphia, PA. I've been a student at Penn, the city isn't beautiful but has some great history. The thing I couldn't get is that they build a statue of Rocky in front of the Museum, that was insane.

Englewood, Port Charlotte, FL. Beautiful sunny Florida, small seaside towns with nice beaches, I met warm and friendly people, and my girlfriend there.

Twelve (Based on 3 Months or more)

Arizona - x2 94-95, and 08-13 . It's OK, great weather but miss the snow best year of my life was 94-95 met the Mrs. (Likely will end up retired here but not really my top choice).

Louisiana - 2010 March through May. Lucked out wierd weather for the area resulted in little to no humidity when I was there so I thought it was pleasent, but can see why everyone else hated living in the Ft Polk area due to the humidity (I missed) and the isolation.

New Mexico - 2000-2003 Loved it Lived in Albuquerque fantastic weather yet had four seasons

Kansas Feb-May 2005. It was ok but isolated and cold.

Texas -x 3 1971-1972, 1984-1986 and 2003-2008, Lorado l liked it but then I was only 6 and liked everything, El Paso was dirty and poorly run, a very ugly city and dusty didn't like it. Sugarland (Houston AO) very good housing but Summer sucked due to humidity. One thing though, as a whole, Texans are the best people I've come across.

Hawaii -1996-2000 Absolutely loved it, favorite place in the world was always outdoors doing something. I'd retire there if my wife would let me. One draw back is the attitued of the population - relatively unfriendly and bigoted.

Alabama - 1991-1994 It was Ok bit isolated at FT Rucker.

Maryland - X4 1972-1974 PG, 1976-1977, 1980-1982, 1986-1989 Born there; graduated HS (Gaithersburg, Undergrad Western Maryland College) I liked it but it has been a long time.

Virginia 1977-1980 Warrenton Liked it.

Kentucky 1989 -1990, Had a lot of fun at OBC.

Florida 1989 June-Sep. St Pete. Family lives/lived there I like the beaches and people, sad memories now (Family passing on)

Washington DC. 1964-1966. Had a blast I think Prettty sure the Washington DC I lived in doesn't exist anymore but heck I wouldn't know anyway but it does have my earlies memory (major Snow storm 1966).

Other locations I've lived include

England, Scotland, Germany, Korea and Iraq.

Archived