Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many states in the Union have you lived in ?

deejaydana

I'm kind of more interested in what people thought of the places that they lived, not just the bare lists. :whoknows:

That was the intention of the thread but my threads historically seems to sink or go sideways more often than not. Would love to hear some feedback on HI and other states I've visited but never lived in. I'll contribute this about California: plenty of people say they're California "natives" even though there's no such animal, every last person's a transplant.

NC - small mountain/foothills town, Charlotte and now right outside of Charlotte

Almost moved to VA Beach or Chesapeake Bay back in 2000, wife could have moved for her job and after talking to another couple (close friends of ours) we all were looking for a change and my philosophy was **** it, I can work in a grocery store and live in an apartment anywhere in the US. Might as well move somewhere cool while Im young and without kids. Never happened, cant really remember why now lol.

Looked and pondered moving to Houston, TX a while back for my wifes work as now I work from home and can move anywhere in the US with my job if I need too. After further thought and with a 4 year old daughter, we decided to remain here. We are in Cabarrius Co. now, school system is good, and my daughter will be starting kindergarten in August and her elementry school will only be 2 blocks away.

I'll add this: the whole Midwestern hospitality thing is for real (and especially noticeable after you've lived on the coasts). People in TX/KS/IL have a very genuine nature/approach overall then the snobbery you'll find in abundance in California. There are of course many exceptions to this but it's more true than not.

I grew up in kearneysville and live in Charles town. If you ever have any questions feel free to pm me

I'm sure y'all run into my parents all the time. (Although the GPS says they live in Kabletown..it's really Charles Town).

;)

Did you go to Jefferson, Major? If so, I'm thinking you went to school with my cousins...or had my Aunt as a guidance counselor.

MD - born and raised

IL - college

TX - semester-long internship in Austin (great town BTW, I couldn't see living there long-term however)

MO - first job in St. Louis (hated the job, decent town)

MI - second job in the Detroit 'burbs (actually fell in love with the area somehow)

Currently living in IL again.

Well, let's see...

Virginia, specifically Fredericksburg (birth-17 yeard old) - Born there and lived there the first almost 18 years of my life. Love it there, and still visit quite often to see my family. But I don't know if I would want to settle down there. It has just become a congested suburb of DC at this point. Who knows though.

Tennessee (17-27) - Moved to Johnson City, Tenn. at 17 to go to college at East Tennessee State. Loved it and still do. Beautiful area and great people. Really laid back place with beautiful scenery and great weather. Got all four seasons, but never too extreme either way. I went to school there for four and a half years and worked there for over five years after I graduated. I still visit a couple of times a year. I reached a point where I just wanted to do something new, and was still living like a college student for the most part. It was time for a change.

Maryland (28-29) - This was probably the wrong change. I got a call one day for a job in Bethesda, and I figured what the hell, why not. I took the job and got a way too expensive apartment in Gaithersburg. Almost immediately, I knew it was not going to last long. The job was fine, but like LKB said, I felt like I was suffocating. Too many people, not enough space. It was frustrating sometimes because there are so many great things about the DC area, but it is so damn hard to get to them. After about a year and a half, I had enough. I walked in my bosses office and told her that I was quitting. I did not have anything to fall back on, but I was done with that chapter. I was just spending too much time in my car and my life had become so routine. And so many people are miserable in the DC area for that reason.

Back to Virginia for almost a year (30) - I moved back to the Fredericksburg area for a short time while I was looking for a job in Charlotte. After visiting the area a handful of times, I decided long before that I wanted to live in Charlotte at some point. So, I figured I was just wasting my time living somewhere where I was not happy if that was something I eventually wanted to do.

North Carolina (30-current) - I eventually got a job in Charlotte. Then about two weeks later, I got a call about a job doing the same thing I was in Maryland, just at a different firm. That worked out pretty well. After moving around a bit, I am pretty sure I am going to be here for a while. The cost of living is great and it is big enough of a city where there is always something going on, but it is still easy to get around. Big league sports, good music scene, a lot of good local bars and restaurants. It is in a good location that I can get to the beach or the mountains pretty easily, and I can get to places like Atlanta, Charleston and even the DC area with relative ease. I live about 12 miles from work, about the same distance I lived from work in Maryland. It takes me about 20-25 minutes here, where it almost always took at least an hour there. Works for me.

North Carolina (30-current) - I eventually got a job in Charlotte. Then about two weeks later, I got a call about a job doing the same thing I was in Maryland, just at a different firm. That worked out pretty well. After moving around a bit, I am pretty sure I am going to be here for a while. The cost of living is great and it is big enough of a city where there is always something going on, but it is still easy to get around. Big league sports, good music scene, a lot of good local bars and restaurants. It is in a good location that I can get to the beach or the mountains pretty easily, and I can get to places like Atlanta, Charleston and even the DC area with relative ease. I live about 12 miles from work, about the same distance I lived from work in Maryland. It takes me about 20-25 minutes here, where it almost always took at least an hour there. Works for me.

That's debatable.:)

Archived