Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: first take Skip Bayless put redskins 2nd in most likely to win Super Bowl in 2013

x96bryan10

The Giants are sure to bounce back? From what? Finishing 9-7? From getting beat by us?

They've done that two years in a row. The only difference between this year and last year is that another team in the division (namely, us) was capable of winning 10 games.

When's the bounce going to happen, exactly?

I expect them to play better next year. Same with the Saints. I can't see both of those teams performing worse than they did in 2012. And you know the Packers, Falcons, 49ers, and Hawks are all going to be there come playoff time. It's not going to be easy at all.

Where in the hell is this "Brutal" schedule? I thought we had a pretty tough schedule this year and we finished 10-6 with half a team.

Let's look at next year:

NYG, Dallass, Philly- We went 5-1 this past season and no reason we can't go (4-2).

Green Bay, Minnesota, Detroit and Chicago- Lambeau will be tough, but their D stinks. We beat Minny this year, but they'll be a test on the road. Do Detroit and Chicago scare you? Could we lose to them? Sure, but I think for once, teams are starting to fear us. (3-1)

SF and Atlanta- We get the Niners at home and Atlanta on the road. Who knows what Atlanta will do. They can be up and down. SF will be tough, but not impossible (1-1)

Denver, Oakland, SD and KC- Only game that is tough is at Denver. (3-1)

So, even befor I weigh in Free Agency and the draft and going solely just on this past season, my preliminary prediction is 11-5.

I just don't think the schedule is any worse than what we've faced the last couple of years.

We could, realistically, enter 2013 with our defense as following:

DE: Carriker, Stephen Bowen, Jarvis Jenkins

NT: Barry Cofield

ILB: Perry Riley, London Fletcher, Keenan Robinson, Lorenzo Alexander

OLB: Ryan Kerrigan, Brian Orakpo, Rob Jackson

CB: DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, Jamar Taylor (4th round), Richard Crawford, Chase Minnefield

FS: Bacarri Rambo (3rd round), Corey Lynch (FA)

SS: Brandon Merriweather, DeJon Gomes

I would like that defense, a lot, compared to this year ... assuming everyone is healthy ...

BTW that is under the assumption that we use our 2nd rounder on a RT, TE or WR. You could easily turn Jamar Taylor into David Amerson or Desmond Trufant or Bacarri Rambo into Matt Elam, etc. etc. if you choose to address the secondary with both the 2 and 3 ... You get the point, though.

Question for you. Both Seattle and SF went into the playoffs with virtually all their stars healthy. So here is the question. Where would we be if entering the playoffs we had RGIII, Orakpo, Carriker, Merriweather, Jackson, Davis, Helu 100% healthy.

We all would be at a parade right now...

Health makes the biggest difference by far. We had bad injuries this year, but had an unusually healthy year from our OL. Our OL depth is so unproven, one or two bad injuries there could be devastating. Or, maybe Ribby, Compton and Gettis are ready to go. Every team has injuries - winning teams have injuries where they have depth. There's a lot of luck involved...

CB: DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, Jamar Taylor (4th round), Richard Crawford, Chase Minnefield

Don't forget we get Chris Nield back at NT as well.

I would like that defense, a lot, compared to this year ... assuming everyone is healthy ...

BTW that is under the assumption that we use our 2nd rounder on a RT, TE or WR. You could easily turn Jamar Taylor into David Amerson or Desmond Trufant or Bacarri Rambo into Matt Elam, etc. etc. if you choose to address the secondary with both the 2 and 3 ... You get the point, though.

That's just the thing. No one ever is. Quite a few of those guys have serious injuries that they'll be coming back from, not to metnion the injuries that always happen in Training Camp/Preseason/Regular Season. Hopefully we don't get bit as badly next year.

I expect them to play better next year. Same with the Saints. I can't see both of those teams performing worse than they did in 2012. And you know the Packers, Falcons, 49ers, and Hawks are all going to be there come playoff time. It's not going to be easy at all.

The Saints, yes. But the Giants seem to always finish around 9-7. They pretty much had the same season as they did in 2011.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 01:43 PM ----------

Where in the hell is this "Brutal" schedule? I thought we had a pretty tough schedule this year and we finished 10-6 with half a team.

Let's look at next year:

NYG, Dallass, Philly- We went 5-1 this past season and no reason we can't go (4-2).

Green Bay, Minnesota, Detroit and Chicago- Lambeau will be tough, but their D stinks. We beat Minny this year, but they'll be a test on the road. Do Detroit and Chicago scare you? Could we lose to them? Sure, but I think for once, teams are starting to fear us. (3-1)

SF and Atlanta- We get the Niners at home and Atlanta on the road. Who knows what Atlanta will do. They can be up and down. SF will be tough, but not impossible (1-1)

Denver, Oakland, SD and KC- Only game that is tough is at Denver. (3-1)

So, even befor I weigh in Free Agency and the draft and going solely just on this past season, my preliminary prediction is 11-5.

I just don't think the schedule is any worse than what we've faced the last couple of years.

I was one who thought out schedule in 2013 looked tough, but you're right, after breaking it down, it's not much worse than 2012's. I mean the NFC North is a damn good division so its not like playing the Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers were gimmies. Then the NFC South is usually solid and we went 2-2 there.

I don't know if we'll go 5-1 in our division again, but I see no reason we can't go at least 4-2. We were right there with the Falcons this year and possibly could've won if RG3 doesn't go out with a concussion. I'd say 10-6 is a solid bet for next year.

That's just the thing. No one ever is. Quite a few of those guys have serious injuries that they'll be coming back from, not to metnion the injuries that always happen in Training Camp/Preseason/Regular Season. Hopefully we don't get bit as badly next year.

We were the most injured team in the league this year. That most likely does not happen again. If we were even just an averagely injured team, is that 1 more win? 2? With a healthy rg3 are we facing Atlanta in the second round? Further? We don't have to assume perfect health, but even just averagely healthy makes us a LOT healthier than we were this year.

A good comparison would be the 2012 Washington Nationals team. A lot people including myself did not think they would be good until 2013(now) but they broke out and won the NL East last year, some would say the Skins already broke out last season but I'm talking elite top seed in the NFC. If we are talking really really early 2013 predictions for the Skins I'm saying 10-6 - 12-4 depending on RG3's health.

This isn't far fetched. Our team had a lot of injuries on defense/offense and we still managed to finish with a 10-6 record. Winning 7 games in a row seems impossible to do in the NFL. For a young team to do that, you have high expectations for next season.

Being in the super bowl next season, isn't that far from reality as we would think.

This isn't far fetched. Our team had a lot of injuries on defense/offense and we still managed to finish with a 10-6 record. Winning 7 games in a row seems impossible to do in the NFL. For a young team to do that, you have high expectations for next season.

Being in the super bowl next season, isn't that far from reality as we would think.

I agree with you here. In years past I would have said that was a homer-ish point of view. If we can stay healthy and get hot in the playoffs there is absolutely no reason we couldn't win it all. I just hope we don't miss our window of opportunity like the Caps appear to have done :(

Whether he is saying good things about the Redskins or bad things Skip Bayless does not have a clue what he is talking about and should be ignored.

On a network that various people have documented here loves the cowboys and tends to give the Redskins short shrift, for me Bayless is a welcome oasis in the desert.

The guy predicted the Redskins would win 7 straight last year before they did. He said they'd win the division. He is by a mile the biggest fan in the media of RG 3, he worships the dude, he was just as intense as anyone of us in arguing for RG 3 over Luck in the draft and ROTY. During the season, First Take seemed to do an RG 3 segment every week.

And neither Cofield or Nield are the dominating NT the 34 needs. More reliable depth guys.

Hail.

Certainly not me endorsing Nield as a quality starting NT but he was overlooked as personnel returning from injury. He does have a mean streak and has show some flashes but agree, we could improve here but I think given the handcuff of salary cap penalty and the condition of the secondary, we will need to accept these two as our NT's for next year.

Certainly not me endorsing Nield as a quality starting NT but he was overlooked as personnel returning from injury. He does have a mean streak and has show some flashes but agree, we could improve here but I think given the handcuff of salary cap penalty and the condition of the secondary, we will need to accept these two as our NT's for next year.

Sorry man. I didn't mean that to sound condescending or anything like you were saying that. I just picked your post and run with it.

And I fully agree on all counts. Which then rolls on to me agreeing with DC9 above that 2014 is the year to start seriously thinking good about ourselves as serious contenders. 2013 is just another building block on the road.

Hail.

On a network that various people have documented here loves the cowboys and tends to give the Redskins short shrift, for me Bayless is a welcome oasis in the desert.

The guy predicted the Redskins would win 7 straight last year before they did. He said they'd win the division. He is by a mile the biggest fan in the media of RG 3, he worships the dude, he was just as intense as anyone of us in arguing for RG 3 over Luck in the draft and ROTY. During the season, First Take seemed to do an RG 3 segment every week.

Whether he likes us and/or RGIII is not my issue with him. He consistently takes extreme positions, often contrary to conventional wisdom just to be dfferent and shouts loudly about those opinions to gain attention and ratings. He adds nothing to intelligent debate IMO.

Whether he likes us and/or RGIII is not my issue with him. He consistently takes extreme positions, often contrary to conventional wisdom just to be dfferent and shouts loudly about those opinions to gain attention and ratings. He adds nothing to intelligent debate IMO.

So he's basically like most of ES :P

Archived