Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fix the Darn Field Snyder

Frediemac

There's feelings of nostalgia and then there's reality. Whatever our grounds crew is doing is NOT working... and if grass won't grow in Landover it needs to be fixed with an alternative technology.

I can't really blame the grounds crew. They can only do so much to keep it in shape. The problem is the amount of use it gets. Between concerts, college ball, and Skins games, real grass does not have the time it needs to rest and grow between uses.

If Snyder wants to use FedEx for anything other than Skins games they must switch to a turf/grass hybrid.

Everyone noticed how bad the field was. Look at what Peter King said today:

"I think if I'm Chris Clemons, and I come out of the MRI tube in Seattle today with a torn knee ligament, and I'm gone for the rest of this dream playoff run and maybe for part of next season, and I see the replay of my leg planting and slipping on the poor field at Washington Sunday, I've got a huge problem with the working conditions. Huge. That was a subpar field, with lousy turf. The NFL needs to take more responsibility on late-season natural-grass fields, particularly in the east and north."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130107/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-playoffs-wild-card/#ixzz2HJ0IvAXv

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 10:48 AM ----------

I can't really blame the grounds crew. They can only do so much to keep it in shape. The problem is the amount of use it gets. Between concerts, college ball, and Skins games, real grass does not have the time it needs to rest and grow between uses.

If Snyder wants to use FedEx for anything other than Skins games they must switch to a turf/grass hybrid.

I'm not blaming the crew... I'm blaming the technology. Whatever they are using needs to be changed... so, I agree!

I see no reason why Snyder has not upgraded the field to the DESSO system yet...the only reason not to make that investment is if you think you will not be at FedEx long term. I have no way of knowing any of this but its the only thing that I can think of that would make you hesitate in dropping that type of $$$ in that stadium. Having said that, Snyder has dropped serious $$$ on imporvements to the gameday experience (party decks, solar panels etc...) so I dont know what to make of not putting in the DESSO.

It really is an embarrassment.

Granted it's a natural field in winter but it only hosts what? 16-20 games a year including college? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It really should be in much better shape. Is field turf the answer or could they just manage it better?

This team, at least the offense, is built on speed...should be conscious of that.

its the 24 other events they host during the football season that hurt the grass the most. I think if they have to resod the whole field every other week, then the redskins have to do it.

Problem with resodding is that it does not work real well after October it gets too cold and the grass just does not take root and usually just dies or gets chopped to bits as soon as it is walked on.

The only thing with the fieldturf is, it is very slick. Rain or shine, I see players slipping all the time.

Does anyone besides me feel that RG3's knee was worse off after the injury against Baltimore than they originally were telling us? I do.

Unfortunately, I think there is something to that.

I see no reason why Snyder has not upgraded the field to the DESSO system yet...the only reason not to make that investment is if you think you will not be at FedEx long term. I have no way of knowing any of this but its the only thing that I can think of that would make you hesitate in dropping that type of $$$ in that stadium. Having said that, Snyder has dropped serious $$$ on imporvements to the gameday experience (party decks, solar panels etc...) so I dont know what to make of not putting in the DESSO.

Yeah, Snyder's just a cheapskate. Those multi million dollar HD video screens were never installed and the millions of dollars in other improvements never happened. Yeah, you're right...he's got to be too cheap to install a field that YOU want.. And yeah, he was the guy who refused to spend his money on a bubble all these years. Had nothing to do with all the rain and bad weather the past couple months.

Yeesh....some fans need to learn about their team before going off with baseless complaints.....

Problem with resodding is that it does not work real well after October it gets too cold and the grass just does not take root and usually just dies or gets chopped to bits as soon as it is walked on.

Yah, but, I think they can put a clear tarp over the field and create a greenhouse effect and get it to root (I'm not 100% sure on this but I think it can be done)

I think the real problem is time, not weather. When the field started getting really bad there were no 3 week stretches where sod could have been put down and taken root

If i had to guess.... I think snyder just LIKES the idea of messy fields and smashmouth football. he is a fanboy, first and foremost (for better or for worse)

THAT is the redskins football from his youth, Riggo and the Hogs smashing the opponents faces into the muddy turf... hoooyaaa!

That's no excuse. Over here, the Bills are still planning on over $100 million in upgrades to the 40 year old Ralph Wilson Stadium while looking for locations for a new stadium. And I'm talking about a team that's not nearly as wealthy as the Redskins.

Fix the field issue Dan.

Yeah, Snyder's just a cheapskate. Those multi million dollar HD video screens were never installed and the millions of dollars in other improvements never happened. Yeah, you're right...he's got to be too cheap to install a field that YOU want.. And yeah, he was the guy who refused to spend his money on a bubble all these years. Had nothing to do with all the rain and bad weather the past couple months.

Yeesh....some fans need to learn about their team before going off with baseless complaints.....

Calm yoursefl and read what I wrote. When/where did I say Snyder is a cheapskate?? Not sure how you got that from what I wrote but you need to chill out I was just adding my opinions to a discussion.

If i had to guess.... I think snyder just LIKES the idea of messy fields and smashmouth football. he is a fanboy, first and foremost (for better or for worse)

THAT is the redskins football from his youth, Riggo and the Hogs smashing the opponents faces into the muddy turf... hoooyaaa!

I believe this too. He also listens to guys like Sonny and Joe T and a lot of old school guys. I'm sure they tell him how great it was playing in all those glory day games in the slop. But as we saw this year, the game has changed. The technological advances make turf more viable than it did years ago. He just needs to buck up and make the switch.

How hard is it to maintain a nice grass field? FedEx is a mess every dang week! I hope they fix it, but I think Dan has a master plan to make the field so bad, that we switch to artificial turf, then a dome. I hope that's just me being a conspiracy theorist. Natural Grass is way better than turf, and it looks better too. Dan is a billionaire, why can't he fix this?

I believe this too. He also listens to guys like Sonny and Joe T and a lot of old school guys. I'm sure they tell him how great it was playing in all those glory day games in the slop. But as we saw this year, the game has changed. The technological advances make turf more viable than it did years ago. He just needs to buck up and make the switch.

Ahh, the good ole days. Horse-collar tackles were legal and tickets were 20 bucks. (sarcasm)

Doesn't matter what kind of grass you use or how well it's cared for if the stadium is going to be whored out to every event they can possibly book during the season. Playing a game at FedEx Field is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway at this point.

Doesn't matter what kind of grass you use or how well it's cared for if the stadium is going to be whored out to every event they can possibly book during the season. Playing a game at FedEx Field is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway at this point.

...or like giving a whale a tic-tac.

Artificial surfaces use to be associated with indoor stadiums and people have always seen those teams as "soft" for not playing in the elements. With all the technology we have now, you can play on a much better surface and play in the natural elements. I think the crap they played on yesterday was hazardous.

Archived