Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fix the Darn Field Snyder

Frediemac

Calm yoursefl and read what I wrote. When/where did I say Snyder is a cheapskate?? Not sure how you got that from what I wrote but you need to chill out I was just adding my opinions to a discussion.

Did you not post?

I see no reason why Snyder has not upgraded the field to the DESSO system yet...the only reason not to make that investment is if you think you will not be at FedEx long term. I have no way of knowing any of this but its the only thing that I can think of that would make you hesitate in dropping that type of $$$ in that stadium

That sure implies you think he is too cheap to put in your DESSO field. Yes, the field was bad. In past years, they have resod half way through the season. Why they did not do that this year I do not know. But NOT spending money for anything is not something that applies to Snyder. He spends more money on players, coaches, all the support stuff that goes with it and stadium improvements than probably any owner in the league. Has it been spent well? Players, mostly no. The rest have been fairly well spent. Did someone, not likely Snyder, drop the ball on resodding this year. Sure looks like it.

But that is a mistake/incompetence not cheapness on Snyder's part. In the past, FedEx Field has been fine most every year. The injuries that happened to Clemons and Griffin had nothing to do with the field. Check out the video.

I am not saying the field is OK. Clearly, something needs to be done to make sure this does not happen again. Maybe it is DESSO. But Snyder has relied on his coaches and other managers to let him know what he needs. That is why we never got a bubble. Shottenheimer and Gibbs both said they did not want one. When Shanny asked for it, it was ordered right away. Not everything is Snyder's fault.

My buddies (Falcons fans) who I was watching the game with were talking smack about our field, and although I am in no way saying the field is okay, I honestly don't mind it. Obviously, if its a big threat to our own players' safety, something needs to be changed, but I kind of take the stance that it gives us a unique "home field advantage", ala Soldier field. But, with RGIII's knee problems, maybe it is time for change.

Only time I have ever liked anything Pete Carrol has said:

Sunday's wild-card game between the Washington Redskins and Seattle Seahawks took place on a noticeably beat-up surface at FedEx Field.

Twitter caught fire as onlookers blamed the poor conditions for Robert Griffin III's knee injury and what is feared to be a torn anterior cruciate ligament for Seahawks defensive end Chris Clemons. Clemons wore 3/4-inch cleats on the messy turf, leaving his agent, Donal Henderson, to rip the "crappy" conditions.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Monday heard from league spokesman Greg Aiello, who said neither team expressed any issues with the playing conditions.

"It is the responsibility of the home team to maintain the field," Aiello said. "It's a grass field. It's winter. There were no complaints about it by either team. ... Injuries occur, unfortunately, on every field."

Teams have a full week to prepare the playing surface. It's not an easy task as winter creeps in, but many felt the Redskins could have done a better job heading into their first home playoff game in 13 years. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll appears to agree.

"The field was horrible. As bad as a field can get. We deserve better," Carroll told KIRO-AM in Seattle on Monday, adding that poor conditions impacted both teams.

The Seahawks haven't yet filed an official complaint, but one might not be far off.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000123381/article/pete-carroll-differs-with-nfl-on-fedex-field-conditions

The field was trash before the game started me and dad were talkin about it, he argues that is redskins tradition playing in the mud, but new football style is more efficient on the new fields, so I think they should fix it.

right, it's not so much about look,, we've got players who can benefit greatly from it. The team makes more than enough money, and the way i read it, those fields pay for themselves in the relative lack of maintenance.

That field we played on the last two games looks like absolutely no ground work had been done on it except to spray some paint down.

It's not just between the hashes,, the whole thing is packed with sand and there's clumps of whatever that is,, painted mud or dead grass EVERYwhere.

~Bang

Yah, but, I think they can put a clear tarp over the field and create a greenhouse effect and get it to root (I'm not 100% sure on this but I think it can be done)

I think the real problem is time, not weather. When the field started getting really bad there were no 3 week stretches where sod could have been put down and taken root

I'm sure they can figure it out if they were motivated.

Was talking with someone from the FOX crew today and they said it would've cost Snyder only $80,000 to have the field completely re-sodden between the hashes and he refused to do it.

He may end up paying a whole lot more than that when this whole thing is over.

Was talking with someone from the FOX crew today and they said it would've cost Snyder only $80,000 to have the field completely re-sodden between the hashes and he refused to do it.

He may end up paying a whole lot more than that when this whole thing is over.

You can lay sod whenever you want. But it won't stick if you do it the week before the game. That'd be a serious injury concern.

The field is fine until late Dec and then it becomes a players worst nightmare. Look what it did to Adrian Peterson.

False. Go back and look at our home opener. Even then, with months to prepare, players are still kicking up huge clouds of sand with every step. Its just sod on top of sand that slides everywhere. Awful.

And for the record add Cooley to the list of injuries caused by the field. Pretty sure i read about him twisting his knee in a big divot that wad on the field from the U2 concert that took place there.

The real problem is Snyder constantly renting out the field for concerts and other sporting events to try and add additional income. The field never gets a chance to recover

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

We share the same kind of turf as 5 other teams, but we are farther north than most of them. I'm no turf expert, but maybe there's something to the type of grass we have and the climate. Here in the Rockies, Mile High always looks and plays well even well in to the winter. They use this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desso_GrassMaster

Here's another reason to switch that Snyder should pay attention to.........

I GURANTEE that FedEx Field will never get picked to host a Super Bowl if he doesn't make the switch. No chance in hell. Chew on that for a bit Danny........

There will never be a Superbowl at FedEx Field.

Not because of the field or Dan.

Too cold of a climate for an outdoor stadium, that time of year.

No way any owner wants to have a SuperBowl game played in the cold when you have places like Tampa, Miami or any other indoor facilities to play in.

Location,location,location.

There will never be a Superbowl at FedEx Field.

Not because of the field or Dan.

Too cold of a climate for an outdoor stadium, that time of year.

No way any owner wants to have a SuperBowl game played in the cold when you have places like Tampa, Miami or any other indoor facilities to play in.

Location,location,location.

It's in NY soon, i know NY is a bigger more commercial city but it's still cold :).

Archived