Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fix the Darn Field Snyder

Frediemac

Maybe they could try something like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2259001/Borussia-Dortmund-use-artificial-lights-repair-pitch-Bundesliga-winter-break.html

Edit: Dortmund's average high temperature: Dec 41°F, Jan 39°, Feb 41°,

D.C.: Dec 47°F, Jan 43°, Feb 47.2°

Now that is a GREAT suggestion. That's really something that could be possible. I looked up the climate data as well. It looks like they are probably colder than DC.

I agree with the 1st part of your post. I have also played on Field Turf, although it was baseball and not football and not that much to be honest.

You make an interesting point about the Bermuda not taking root. I'm pretty sure they re-sod every year and I think I remember them re-sodding mid season a few years ago.

I too played football in NOVA and we only practiced on our field once a week, Thursday, but it was more of a walk through than a real practice. Maybe the condition of the field by you has to do w/ the deep roots. Who knows. Most high school football seasons end in early Nov and they normally play 5 home games and a scrimmage. Unless they get into the playoffs. I only know of 1 team in Fairfax County that made it to December, Oakton, and they lost 12/1 so I'm not sure who you saw practicing until mid-Dec. Westfields last game was 11/23 and Chantilly and C'ville was 11/16. FedEx had 11 home games (1 post, 8 reg, 2 preseason). I guess my point is that NFL games put a lot of traffic on the field, pushing 300lb bodies around and also that a lot of that came after the growing season w/ 1 game Mid-Nov, 3 in Dec and 1 in January.

Briar Woods in Ashburn, the state championship was 12/8. Since it is dark at 5pm that time of year they practicing under the lights in the stadium.

Briar Woods in Ashburn, the state championship was 12/8. Since it is dark at 5pm that time of year they practicing under the lights in the stadium.

Makes sense. I wrongly assumed you were talking about a FFX county school b/c of your profile. I know that Chantilly is also in LoCo. Makes sense about needing to use the lights. We used to get out of school at 2:05 or 2:20 and practice at 3. I know LoCo starts later. Also, they knew they weren't going to play on the field again, b/c the championship game was at a neutral site. Not sure I'd call 12/7, mid-December, but I do see your point.

My high school has artificial turf, my high school, it's the way of new football, football used to be played with leather helmets should we go back.

High schools and colleges went to the fieldturf for one reason. Cost. It may cost to initially put it in, but the upkeep is minimal. Pretty much all they do is add the pellets to fill in. No water, no sunlight, no cutting needed and it lasts for probaby 20 years.

They were saying it was basically painted dirt and sand, not even grass.

That is a total embarrassment. It's one thing if the grass is coming up... it's another if there's just NO GRASS!! What an indictment of the grounds crew.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 02:50 PM ----------

I don't think there is any question that we have the worst field in the NFL at this point. Regardless of any nuance brought to light, the terrible conditions and number of injuries on our turf in the last year alone is terrible press for Snyder. If he doesn't change the technology he doesn't care about the health of the players on the field... period.

I thought this was a great post by one of the users on profootballtalk:

madpunter88 says: Jan 9, 2013 8:49 AM

I’ve often thought the “painted dirt” descriptions were exaggeration. But in that video it clearly is just paint on the dirt…you can see the paint chip away as he scratched the surface to reveal sand and dirt. It’s astounding really. It is bad enough that it just looks ugly on TV…but in that game alone there were two torn ACLs, an offensive lineman who quickly aggravated an existing ankle injury, and a kicker who went on IR with an ankle injury. It has become commonplace for kick-offs to go deep in the end zone in the NFL but in that game neither kicker could even get loft on their kicks because they could not plant.

Four separate players, at least, suffered leg injuries in that game due in no small part to the playing conditions. How can the team sit by and not make a change next yet?

That is a total embarrassment. It's one thing if the grass is coming up... it's another if there's just NO GRASS!! What an indictment of the grounds crew.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 02:50 PM ----------

I don't think there is any question that we have the worst field in the NFL at this point. Regardless of any nuance brought to light, the terrible conditions and number of injuries on our turf in the last year alone is terrible press for Snyder. If he doesn't change the technology he doesn't care about the health of the players on the field... period.

It's easy to critisize, but what's your suggestion for a solution that would reduce injuries? Your quick to critisize the grounds crew, what did you expect them to do? Throw some seed down? Re-sod the field? None of that works in Dec/Jan in DC.

Wait until you see San Fran's field this weekend. I doubt it's much better and they are in a much different climate.

It's easy to critisize, but what's your suggestion for a solution that would reduce injuries? Your quick to critisize the grounds crew, what did you expect them to do? Throw some seed down? Re-sod the field? None of that works in Dec/Jan in DC.

Wait until you see San Fran's field this weekend. I doubt it's much better and they are in a much different climate.

I'm not an expert. It's not my job to fix it... and my opinion doesn't matter to the Skins.

What do I expect them to do? Find a technology that works and doesn't get people hurt. Look at Lambeau... that field is freaking gorgeous and they live in a much colder climate.

I can't understand how you could possibly be okay with it... did you watch that video? If so, you're just apologizing for Snyder.

After seeing that video I'm starting to think that maybe the field conditions did play some part in Robert's injury. Just seeing photos of Robert reaching for the snap and how much dirt and sand u can see flying up it certainly didn't help his already injured knee.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but is there any proof that the injury Fred took when he came down with that TD was caused by the turf? Or was it just a bad planting of his foot?

Giants and Jets have Fieldturf. I watched a video of how they replace the endzones with blue Giants logo and green Jets logo. The field is intact. The endzones are replaced by 4 x 4 squares of fieldturf. So in essence, the endzones at Metlife are like a puzzle or putting together a basketball floor with seams. I think he caught his foot in a seam.

I'm not an expert. It's not my job to fix it... and my opinion doesn't matter to the Skins.

What do I expect them to do? Find a technology that works and doesn't get people hurt. Look at Lambeau... that field is freaking gorgeous and they live in a much colder climate.

I can't understand how you could possibly be okay with it... did you watch that video? If so, you're just apologizing for Snyder.

GB uses a hybrid system, GrassMaster. As well as PHI and DEN. If you think that's the best option, then say that, instead of blaming the grounds crew. They can only work with what they have.

My point is that Fed Ex is Bermuda grass and there is very little they can do to fix a field in Dec/Jan. See my previous posts on pg 14 of this thread.

I'm not defending Snyder. I'm not his biggest fan, but what would you like him to do differently? Again, it's easy to say the field sucks, why not offer a solution?

And if you don't think you're opinion matters, I would disagree. You don't think they are hearing loads of complaints from people like yourself about the field conditions on Sunday?

GB uses a hybrid system, GrassMaster. As well as PHI and DEN. If you think that's the best option, then say that, instead of blaming the grounds crew. They can only work with what they have.

My point is that Fed Ex is Bermuda grass and there is very little they can do to fix a field in Dec/Jan. See my previous posts on pg 14 of this thread.

I'm not defending Snyder. I'm not his biggest fan, but what would you like him to do differently? Again, it's easy to say the field sucks, why not offer a solution?

And if you don't think you're opinion matters, I would disagree. You don't think they are hearing loads of complaints from people like yourself about the field conditions on Sunday?

They can only work with what they have? How about they act like professionals and tell their owner that they need better technology or someone is going to get hurt? Oh yeah... too late for that. You can't give them a free pass... they are stakeholders here, too.

My solution: hold the grounds crew accountable for finding the right technology and give them the budget to execute. It's really that simple. If they fail to deliver... find the right people for the job.

I like the GrassMaster system, but I don't really give a **** what we go with as long as it's not that atrocity we have right now.

My singular opinion doesn't hold much water... the volume of a collective voice for change does. I think we're probably on the same page right there.

They can only work with what they have?

I'm saying b/t the Dallas game and the Wild Card came, they couldn't do anything more than what they did.

This isn't a new issue. Any grass field, especially in colder climates have issues. Soldier Field, Heinz Field, etc. Do you remember the NFC Championship Game vs the Lions at RFK? The field was spray painted that game too b/c they played the Falcons the week before in a Monsoon, the seat cushion game.

My overall point is that this new Field Turf technology is very new and there is little data. What is there seems to indicate that there are more injuries on those types of Artificial Surfaces vs Grass. Grassmaster although it looks good, has mixed reviews. In fact, Heinz field ripped it out after several years after players rated it the worst field in the league.

So GrassMaster has mixed reviews and Field Turf may lead to more injuries. I don't want the team to make a knee jerk reaction based on the field the other day, when it may be better to keep the grass in the long run.

I'm saying b/t the Dallas game and the Wild Card came, they couldn't do anything more than what they did.

This isn't a new issue. Any grass field, especially in colder climates have issues. Soldier Field, Heinz Field, etc. Do you remember the NFC Championship Game vs the Lions at RFK? The field was spray painted that game too b/c they played the Falcons the week before in a Monsoon, the seat cushion game.

My overall point is that this new Field Turf technology is very new and there is little data. What is there seems to indicate that there are more injuries on those types of Artificial Surfaces vs Grass. Grassmaster although it looks good, has mixed reviews. In fact, Heinz field ripped it out after several years after players rated it the worst field in the league.

So GrassMaster has mixed reviews and Field Turf may lead to more injuries. I don't want the team to make a knee jerk reaction based on the field the other day, when it may be better to keep the grass in the long run.

I'm with you, man. I don't want a knee-jerk reaction either. I want a well thought out evaluation of the available technology followed by a perfect implementation. There is too much money in this organization not to make this happen.

People don't realize having a ****ty field was our home field advantage. This is the first time we were any good. We slowed games down big time because of this. How many close games were we in? Do people realize the field is also another reason why we go through so many Field goal kickers!

I'm with you, man. I don't want a knee-jerk reaction either. I want a well thought out evaluation of the available technology followed by a perfect implementation. There is too much money in this organization not to make this happen.

+1 Agree. I am passionate about this. I think Field Turf is the easy way out and in the long run it's cheaper. That's what most people in this thread were calling for. GrassMaster is interesting, but I'm not sure it creates a great surface if it gets bad reviews from the players.

The most interesting thing I've seen was something posted in this thread that they use in soccer fields in Europe. Take a look:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2259001/Borussia-Dortmund-use-artificial-lights-repair-pitch-Bundesliga-winter-break.html

Now I would love that. Keep the grass, which is probably better for injuries and bring in some lamps.

Oh, and I don't think this is a cost issue. Field Turf is cheaper, if Danny wanted to be cheap, he'd throw that down and be done with it. Of all the bad things I could say about him over the years, I do think he cares about his players. Heck, he probably tucked RG3 in last night.

Archived