Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fix the Darn Field Snyder

Frediemac

Ouch... so, you think we can pull off 100% natural grass with a better approach/grounds crew?

Absolutely we can.

Grass fields will never be perfect especially in December and January but there is no excuse for the slop we saw this year

There is no excuse not to move to a hybrid type of turf like the Desso. This is 2013 it shouldn't even be an issue with the technology available but for some reason, we are behind the curve on this.

We are building a speed team and need a field that doesnt take away our speed advantage and use an offense with a one cut system. I'd much prefer these one cut backs to have more sure footing when planting and cutting, same with Griffin.

Its not like injuries could get any worse either. Besides, this isn't like playing in the Astrodome on carpeted concrete, the new stuff is very high quality.

Are the extra events (concerts specifically) an issue? It seems that placing all of those things directly on the playing surface would impact live grass. Do other natural grass venues host concerts too?

Absolutely they are an issue.

I took a behind the scenes tour of Camden yards once. The tour guid told us under no circumstances to touch the grass, much less walk on it. One of my coworkers playfully put his foot on the edge of the grass just barely. She kicked him off the tour

Bluegrass would get destroyed on a football field. It would be mud after week one

Also, you can't cut bluegrass short like it needs to be on a football field. It will die.

Climate isn't the issue. Just mismanagement

It still seems like having a grass that suits the climate would just be better.

Cleveland uses Bluegrass and their climate more closely resembles ours than the Titans, who use the same blend of Bermuda we do (according to Wikipedia)

Does anyone know how long the Redskins have used the current grounds keepers at FedEx?

Absolutely we can.

Grass fields will never be perfect especially in December and January but there is no excuse for the slop we saw this year

I agree that it was atrocious... I wonder if the below is the bigger issue.

Stop having concerts at Fed Ex destroying the field....that combined with an adequate irrigation system may help.

This may be the real issue... trying to squeeze every dime out of the place is really what ended up hurting Snyder.

I took a behind the scenes tour of Camden yards once. The tour guid told us under no circumstances to touch the grass, much less walk on it. One of my coworkers playfully put his foot on the edge of the grass just barely. She kicked him off the tour

I figured.

Granted, it's Snyder's property and he has every right to make money when it's not being used for the team 10x per year. But maybe all of these decisions need to be in tandem (if I'm going to hold concerts, etc. then I need a different type of surface).

I took that same tour and they were "crazy" about DO NOT TOUCH THE GRASS. They let me stand in the batters box for a quick second but told me 'if you touch the grass you are out of here." That field is also immaculate and they have a drainage system that is state of the art. Never has standing water.

Concerts held here on the field is just unacceptable. It destroys the field to the point it never recovers. Get smart Snyder, either put in field turf and do whatever you want or manage the grass field properly.

Snyder should be fined $10Million for that piece of Crap of a field!

Maybe that ass Mara will tell Snyder he gets his cap space back right before he hits him with a cap penalty of equal size for disrupting "competitive balance and safety" with our field conditions.

I figured.

Granted, it's Snyder's property and he has every right to make money when it's not being used for the team 10x per year. But maybe all of these decisions need to be in tandem (if I'm going to hold concerts, etc. then I need a different type of surface).

Common sense would tell you they should have been hand in hand all this time. Pay for a field that can withstand the extra events but don't hurt your cash cow(Redskins) and the extra events will help pay for the new field as well. Heck he could host more events there with a better field.

I may have been on that particular tour. Although many have probably tried it.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 09:50 AM ----------

Snyder should be fined $10Million for that piece of Crap of a field!

In exchange for changing the field, Snyder should get the cap space back from last year. If they (the league and owners) don't want to give the cap space back...no new field. It solves two problems! or none

It still seems like having a grass that suits the climate would just be better.

Cleveland uses Bluegrass and their climate more closely resembles ours than the Titans, who use the same blend of Bermuda we do (according to Wikipedia)

Does anyone know how long the Redskins have used the current grounds keepers at FedEx?

There are so many hybrids out there nowadays... Thousands and thousands. Sounds like there is a bluegrass that you can mow that short if Cleveland is using it. So sounds like I'm wrong on that

Keep in mind, when people say Bermuda, it's like referring to an Audi as a car. There are almost an infinite variety of Bermuda hybrids and blends. I'm sure the variety chosen was selected with climate in mind. Bermuda is the field of choice because it is the toughest thing out there, and rhizomes spread rapidly to fill in bare spots. You can cut it very short and it has very good climate tolerance.

Speaking of which, keep in mind Cleveland has MUCH cooler summers than DC. Bluegrass wilts very quickly

Just like on the golf course, sprinkle a little sand on top of your bermudagrass divot and runners will fill in aggressively. Problem with FedEx field is that it has been mismanaged and it is ALL sand at this point...

I heard from Chris Russell (I think) that the cost of re-sodding the field between the Ravens and Cowboys game was $50,000. The Redskins didn't do it that time but that gives some scale to how much it would cost the team to try to manage this field moving forward. It seems like it would be much more cost effective to just start over or install something synthetic. Even still, re-sodding it 10x per season isn't exactly going to put Snyder in the poor house ($500,000) if they were admament about sticking with the current grass.

I'm guessing that Dan Snyder will make changes to the field this offseason. Contrary to popular belief, he really cares about this team and isn't afraid to throw money where it would help the team.

But is he willing to give up revenue from over-use of the field (concerts, etc)?

If the field can withstand it, I don't think what happens on that field is any of our concern.

If our field ends up in the condition it was in on Sunday because of this type of overuse we should be concerned about it. I don't think anyone wants to watch our players get hurt. But, I get your point... if the field can take it and be in good, playable shape that doesn't increase the risk of injury I could care less. It just needs to be ready for game day.

If our field ends up in the condition it was in on Sunday because of this type of overuse we should be concerned about it. I don't think anyone wants to watch our players get hurt. .

I agree.

But, I get your point... if the field can take it and be in good, playable shape that doesn't increase the risk of injury I could care less. It just needs to be ready for game day.

That was my only point. If they put field turf down, they could probably safely hold a pre-game concert every Sunday.

Actually the Packers use Desso GrassMaster. As I posted before, this should be the NFL standard, in the link I provided there is a list of fields with it.

I don't understand why the NFLPLA isn't pushing it, think of all the benefits. Player safety, less injuries, play making ability etc. If a player plays half his career on this compared to a field such as ours he would have a much more productive career. When players are more productive and injured less they get better contracts, fans come to see them play and the team has an advantage in play making ability. The owners would be happier because the chances of their star players getting inured is much less, they play at a higher level and fans pay for that, everybody wins. The NFL is a multibillion dollar a year industry with safety being a top concern, this should be a no-brainer.

HTTR

While it seems to be better to us, many fields that had the desso were rated very low by players

I still dont get how a bad field makes a foot stick in the ground to cause injury.

If its dirt the foot slides and doesnt bind? So why is everyone blaming the field foot people's feet sticking in the turf.

I truly believe that RGIII's injury came from the brace....you ever tried to bend over while wearing a knee brace? Nearly impossible.

Just want to make a few points:

1. I believe the biggest issue with the grass playing surface is the climate. I watched a documentary on MLB network where they interviewed grounds crews. Toughest place to maintain the field.....St. Louis. Their climate would be very similar to ours. Yes, the Redskins picked a Bermuda Grass for the field.

2. We are too far south for Bluegrass it would never hold up in the DC summer heat

3. There were 3 games this year where it was raining. Colts, Falcons, Ravens

4. How can you grow grass in Dec/Jan in DC? Throw some seed in your yard and tell me how that works out.

5. How can you re-sod in past Nov? I don't know how the roots would grow and take hold.

6. Look at San Fran:

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/billy-cundiff-photos-facebook-show-candlestick-parks-horrible-turf-49ers/

Even they have a perfect climate and they can't maintain the field

7. 10 years ago, there was no HD. Now you see everything.

8. The casual fan doesn't know the difference b/t Turf and Grass. So when they look at the Ravens stadium or others and they think wow, that looks great. They're comparing apples to oranges.

9. What Northern Climate grass field has great field conditions? GB and PHI don't count as they use the GrassMaster system. Cleveland? Maybe, but I don't know if they played any games in the rain this year and, as mentioned, they use Bluegrass which would never work here at the length they need to cut the grass

10. I've been to several concerts at Nats stadium in the summer. I'm sure it doesn't help things, but Fed Ex isn't the only stadium to hold outdoor concerts over grass.

Archived