Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fix the Darn Field Snyder

Frediemac

nope

Haha thanks. Looking forward to more of the same, then!

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 02:31 PM ----------

I hope they go to those grow lights like they use in some European soccer stadiums. Lets them grow year round. Expensive, but supposed to be nice. The Seattle Mariners have started using it too.

Wow. Now that is cool!

Kevin Sheehan just announced on Espn 980 that Fed-ex will not get field turf and will remain grass. Source Doc Walker

If they are sticking with grass they should probably resod with TifGrand instead of Tifway 419. Tifgrand is brand new (just released within the past few years) and is basically the next generation of improved Bermuda by the people that invented Tifway. More football fields are starting to switch over to it. Tifgrand has several advantages over Tifway:

• Does better in the shade/requires less sun (so the grass in the shaded parts of the stadium will do better)
  • Does better in cold weather
  • Needs less water and fertilizer
  • Darker green vs. Tifway

I have both varieties in my yard and can vouch it does better in the shade than Tifway (which is why I replaced it).

Of course if you don't know how to take care of it in the first place, nothing is going to look good.

Kevin Sheehan just announced on Espn 980 that Fed-ex will not get field turf and will remain grass. Source Doc Walker

I'm so sick of rich, uppity guys that are so damn stubborn. Dan Snyder sees that his field is crap but he's not changing a thing.

This might be surprising, but I'm starting to think Dan Snyder is a cheap owner. From what I hear he had to have his arm twisted to build a practice bubble and now he don't want to put a new turf down? Why? It cost money. I'm starting to see Dan Snyder as an owner that loves making money but don't want to spend it.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 03:12 PM ----------

Yeah, because there are no more variables involved than that.

There isn't. Just rip up that dirt that's our field and lay down a new turf. Very easy.

This might be surprising, but I'm starting to think Dan Snyder is a cheap owner. From what I hear he had to have his arm twisted to build a practice bubble and now he don't want to put a new turf down? Why? It cost money. I'm starting to see Dan Snyder as an owner that loves making money but don't want to spend it.

I heard it took Loudon County forever and I mean forever to approve the dome and it seems many experts are not sure what to do about the field because of the weather and location of the staduim. But yeah, he signe free agents, lets players use his personel jet and all that but let's hate on the owner because we still think he's a jerk.

I heard it took Loudon County forever and I mean forever to approve the dome and it seems many experts are not sure what to do about the field because of the weather and location of the staduim. But yeah, he signe free agents, lets players use his personel jet and all that but let's hate on the owner because we still think he's a jerk.

Who said he was a jerk? I'm not there, but I'm sure the Skins could have had a practice dome years ago is Snyder wanted it. And have you ever thought that some of our past free agent signings were mainly to fill a 90,000 seat stadium and increase revenue which puts money in his pockets?

I look at it this way, our team is built for speed from the QB to the receivers to arguably the defense as well. Having a crap field with poor traction and footing eliminates one of our competitive advantages for 8 games a year. It's crazy and it needs to be fixed asap.

Who said he was a jerk? I'm not there, but I'm sure the Skins could have had a practice dome years ago is Snyder wanted it. And have you ever thought that some of our past free agent signings were mainly to fill a 90,000 seat stadium and increase revenue which puts money in his pockets?

Gibbs wanted to practice outdoors.

From what I understand, he didn't put a bubble in b/c Gibbs didn't ask for it. Gibbs never had a bubble before at old Redskins park. When Shanny came, he asked for it and he got it.

Grass is more expensive for the Skins than Field Turf, so if Danny wanted to be cheap about this, he'd put in Field Turn.

I look at it this way, our team is built for speed from the QB to the receivers to arguably the defense as well. Having a crap field with poor traction and footing eliminates one of our competitive advantages for 8 games a year. It's crazy and it needs to be fixed asap.

They are, but on the flipside our defense is not built to stop a quick offense. A slow field absolutely benefitted us in the finale versus Dallas, especially with a limted RG3.

I'm sure that even though they're keeping grass, they'll improve the conditions. There's been so much negative attn that they can't avoid it.

Yeah, I would agree with that. I'm sure they felt the heat of the PR firestorm that ensued about that field. And you have to think the league and NFLPA placed a call to Snyder about this.

This is one of those situations where I would've loved to know what Snyder personally thinks about the state of the field during the game. Or if he's shocked at the reaction to it.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 03:41 PM ----------

I'm hoping this is something that's been researched and discussed long before now, because I would've hoped they would've spent more than 4 days coming to that decision. I was expecting to hear they were going to survey fields around the league, new technologies, groundskeeping personnel, etc before determining the best way to go.

Not to mention that Shanahan is the first coach to ask for a practice dome. I mean, if Shotty, Gibbs or others wanted one, I'm sure Snyder would have built it.

I'm hoping this is something that's been researched and discussed long before now, because I would've hoped they would've spent more than 4 days coming to that decision. I was expecting to hear they were going to survey fields around the league, new technologies, groundskeeping personnel, etc before determining the best way to go.

What if they took 4 days to determine that they wanted to stay with a natural surface and now will spend more time researching the top natural surfaces available? We always talk about how bad it is to be so reactionary, so why should Sunday's game change a 80-year tradition of having a natural surface? Unless I'm misunderstanding, they aren't committing to the same surface they played with this year.

What if they took 4 days to determine that they wanted to stay with a natural surface and now will spend more time researching the top natural surfaces available? We always talk about how bad it is to be so reactionary, so why should Sunday's game change a 80-year tradition of having a natural surface? Unless I'm misunderstanding, they aren't committing to the same surface they played with this year.

But Sunday's game was it all just coming to a head, the field's been a problem for a while now. This wasn't the first time the state of the field has been called into question.

Making a decision on the surface and then gathering the info later just seems backwards to me.

not sure this has been posted but here's some live shots of the deplorable condition(s) of the field. Snyder& the NFL should be ashamed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21533403/watch-michael-robinson-documents-shoddy-fedex-field

Yep, makes our FO look really stupid. Get a dynamite QB, just don't give him a decent surface to play on.:silly:

But Sunday's game was it all just coming to a head, the field's been a problem for a while now. This wasn't the first time the state of the field has been called into question.

Making a decision on the surface and then gathering the info later just seems backwards to me.

But it's a phased decision...

Do we fix the field?

If yes, do we install better natural turf or artificial turf?

If natural turf, which type of natural turf?

Maybe they've answered the first two and will research the last one?

Well, you have heard wrong. Snyder had suggested a bubble or indoor facility in the past but both Shottenheimer and Gibbs said no. They were old school coaches who believed it was better to practice in the elements. When Shanahan asked for a bubble, he got it. It got slowed down by local zoning and then the weather.

Snyder does not skimp on his team; not on salaries for players and coaches; not on flights or hotels; not on anything. But someone on the football side has to make the request. In past years, FedEx Field normally got new turn in the middle of the year. Why that did not happen this year, I don't know. I've heard there was no 3-4 week window to lay sod and let the roots knit into the soil because of the college games, concerts, and rainy weather. You cannot just lay down new sod and play football the next day.

You do realize that Snyder spends more money on his team than almost any owner in the league, short of maybe Jerry Jones? Dumb football spending maybe. Cheap owner, hell no. Go check out what other owners spend on their teams.

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 12:46 PM ----------

It is not like the field has been horrible for years. This was a bad year, granted. But watch candlestick park this weekend. Won't be much better if at all. Heinz Field has been horrible for several years in a row, although I can't speak to this season. That was becuase the High School football championships were played on the grass surface. Four games in two days followed by professional football games destroyed that field for a couple years in a row.

There is no doubt that the Redskins will evaluate the field and decide what needs to be done to avoid this. IF Snyder is going to host collegiate games and concerts he almost has to go to an artificial surface or hybrid. Clearly, the grass turf cannot put up with that much continuous action.

Archived