Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fix the Darn Field Snyder

Frediemac

Here's another reason to switch that Snyder should pay attention to.........

I GURANTEE that FedEx Field will never get picked to host a Super Bowl if he doesn't make the switch. No chance in hell. Chew on that for a bit Danny........

Well duh! Have you ever been in Washington, D.C. in late January? It's miserable! Super Bowls are played in warm climate cities (Miami, Tampa, San Diego, Phoenix, Los Angeles) or cities with domes (Minneapolis, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Dallas). That's how it ought to be. Plus, do you *really* want the normal D.C. traffic compounded by the traffic that comes along with the Super Bowl?

Not having the Super Bowl in D.C. is a major blessing.

Well duh! Have you ever been in Washington, D.C. in late January? It's miserable! Super Bowls are played in warm climate cities (Miami, Tampa, San Diego, Phoenix, Los Angeles) or cities with domes (Minneapolis, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Dallas). That's how it ought to be. Plus, do you *really* want the normal D.C. traffic compounded by the traffic that comes along with the Super Bowl?

Not having the Super Bowl in D.C. is a major blessing.

Isn't the thing going to be in Jersey next year?

I dont want it, just sayin'

And it will be a disaster in NY.

Mark it down.

Truth. I'd rather have the Super Bowl at the run down old L.A. Coliseum than MetLife Stadium.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 06:15 PM ----------

Isn't the thing going to be in Jersey next year?

I dont want it, just sayin'

See

And it will be a disaster in NY.

Mark it down.

Truth. I'd rather have the Super Bowl at the run down old L.A. Coliseum than MetLife Stadium.

First of all, this is football. Take your ideas about synthetic turf and keep the in the closet with your pretty pink dress

That said there is no reason for us to be playing on painted dirt. Hell, Lambeau looks like a golf course, and they're 20 degrees colder up there.

Snyder needs to take a close look at the turf management team

With all due respect, the way its always been is not a reason not to change. Field Turf is infinitely better than Astroturf. If it was a choice between grass and Astroturf, I'd agree with you. But Field Turf extends careers and actually gives the 'Skins a competitive advantage with RG3 and the zone blocking run game...

:2cents:

Uh...didn't we build a practice bubble?

http://nflredskins.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_2245.jpg

If not, Dan should be pressed some other person built this thing on his property.

You also don't fix a field in a week.

Of course he built it, but it was after about a decade of hand-wringing about it. Same with the FedEx field, which has been atrocious for years. Maybe next year we'll finally get a proper playing surface, if Snyder can find some money laying around to pay for it...

Chris Clemons was pretty upset about the condition of the field. He said it was the worst he has ever played on.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 11:56 PM ----------

There will never be a Superbowl at FedEx Field.

Not because of the field or Dan.

Too cold of a climate for an outdoor stadium, that time of year.

No way any owner wants to have a SuperBowl game played in the cold when you have places like Tampa, Miami or any other indoor facilities to play in.

Location,location,location.

Uh, the Super Bowl is in New York next year.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 12:09 AM ----------

First of all, this is football. Take your ideas about synthetic turf and keep the in the closet with your pretty pink dress

That said there is no reason for us to be playing on painted dirt. Hell, Lambeau looks like a golf course, and they're 20 degrees colder up there.

Snyder needs to take a close look at the turf management team

Not sure if serious. Lambeau looks like a golf course because they play on the hybrid turf.

Ok there are several cold weather cities that have natural grass fields. It shouldn't be that difficult to determine what they use and do the same thing. The problem comes when they use for college games, concerts, soccer etc... IMHO

Actually the Packers use Desso GrassMaster. As I posted before, this should be the NFL standard, in the link I provided there is a list of fields with it.

I don't understand why the NFLPLA isn't pushing it, think of all the benefits. Player safety, less injuries, play making ability etc. If a player plays half his career on this compared to a field such as ours he would have a much more productive career. When players are more productive and injured less they get better contracts, fans come to see them play and the team has an advantage in play making ability. The owners would be happier because the chances of their star players getting inured is much less, they play at a higher level and fans pay for that, everybody wins. The NFL is a multibillion dollar a year industry with safety being a top concern, this should be a no-brainer.

HTTR

DGM ftw!!! Seriously, the conditions are pathetic and you are 100% correct. There is no argument against this unless you have some misguided emotional attachment to the way things used to be. Well, the way things used to be also ruined many players' post-football lives. Not a sermon just a thought.

I like grass fields, however, I like healthy players better. The sorry excuse of dirt and paint that we call a field is an embarrassment to the team. We can put jumbotrons in the end zones, but cannot get a proper field in place? It is time to bite the bullet and go to field turf at Fed Ex. The climate and usage that the field gets will never allow grass to be in good condition for an entire season. I am sure it is an expensive undertaking, but Danny has never shyed away from spending money, it is time to spend money on something that may actually benefit the players and prolong some careers.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

We share the same kind of turf as 5 other teams, but we are farther north than most of them. I'm no turf expert, but maybe there's something to the type of grass we have and the climate. Here in the Rockies, Mile High always looks and plays well even well in to the winter. They use this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desso_GrassMaster

I'm not sure why we're using Bermuda grass at FedEx. That grass thrives in warmer climates, not in MD. Why not use Kentucky Bluegrass if they're set on natural grass? It performs much better in cooler weather.

I'm not sure why we're using Bermuda grass at FedEx. That grass thrives in warmer climates, not in MD. Why not use Kentucky Bluegrass if they're set on natural grass? It performs much better in cooler weather.

8+ homes games, a couple college games and concerts will destroy most any natural grass. Add in rain, heat...it is time for field turf.

8+ homes games, a couple college games and concerts will destroy most any natural grass. Add in rain, heat...it is time for field turf.

I'm definitely for the Desso GrassMaster system now. But if the team is set on natural grass (which seems to be the case) why not use a variety that thrives in the climate your football team plays in?

I'm definitely for the Desso GrassMaster system now. But if the team is set on natural grass (which seems to be the case) why not use a variety that thrives in the climate your football team plays in?
I agree man, I love grass, but it seems clear that the climate and or irrigation at Fed Ex combine with the heavy usage is not sufficient to keep grass in decent shape. The grass may be somewhat better with a variety designed for cooler weather, but ultimately I think it is a losing battle to try and keep the field playable. Hail

Bluegrass would get destroyed on a football field. It would be mud after week one

Also, you can't cut bluegrass short like it needs to be on a football field. It will die.

Climate isn't the issue. Just mismanagement

Ouch... so, you think we can pull off 100% natural grass with a better approach/grounds crew?

Archived