Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is "too much" being made of RGIII's injury going into Sunday?

NoCalMike

I still think that the passing performance had some to do with the knee, but much more with his brain. After all, his passes didn't look so bad against the Eagles. I think the team had been building up to that game and winning the division really meant a lot to him and for the first time he felt the pressure. He needed to be perfect seven games in a row to meet his promise and that game was finally there and it was against Dallas. RGIII is smart enough to understand the moment.

In a weird way, the pressure is now turned way down. Getting there was the hump and if you listened to him mic'ed up during the game you heard him tell Morris about how they hadn't won the division since 1999. That was on his mind. Now, he can just be a player again. There will still be pressure, of course, but I think it's the normal kind and I think his passes, brace or no, will be much better.

I wish i could find the article link, but Rich Tandler i believe wrote an article i found on twitter giving some insight. If anyone else is searching his timeline, it's title was something like "RGIII brace not coming off any time soon". It said basically 3 things:

1) RGIII said he is ready for the brace to come off and feels he can play without it

2) RGIII said doctors and training staff (head training staff guy was mentioned like 3 times by name) are unconvinced he's ready to play with it off. Griff says he does as much as he can without it on but when they find out he doesnt have it on, they make him put it on.

3) and maybe most importantly, he said the brace does add a limp/gimp/hitch to his running. He seemed to be implying he could run more smoothly/swiftly if it were taken off/had a different brace on. He mentioned how the point of it is to restrict mobility

So from what i gathered, he may be nearer to 100% than we know, he wants it off, and docs/training staff arent giving the ok on that...yet

Definitely too much is being made of it. I was laughing my ass off when Collinsworth referred to him as "hobbled," only to rack up first down after first down. It was classic.

His accuracy is what concerns me. I can't believe I'm even typing that, but it's true. His passes were terrible.

I agree. He was very Lazy with some of his throws. I also feel like the Cowboys gameplan was to drop a lot of people and make him throw the ball. It worked to a point but we were able to take advantage running the ball. IDK if the brace is having an impact on his throws, but this will be his third week playing with it so hopeuflly he will be fine. I have all the confidence in him.

---------- Post added January-4th-2013 at 07:41 AM ----------

I wish i could find the article link, but Rich Tandler i believe wrote an article i found on twitter giving some insight. If anyone else is searching his timeline, it's title was something like "RGIII brace not coming off any time soon". It said basically 3 things:

1) RGIII said he is ready for the brace to come off and feels he can play without it

2) RGIII said doctors and training staff (head training staff guy was mentioned like 3 times by name) are unconvinced he's ready to play with it off. Griff says he does as much as he can without it on but when they find out he doesnt have it on, they make him put it on.

3) and maybe most importantly, he said the brace does add a limp/gimp/hitch to his running. He seemed to be implying he could run more smoothly/swiftly if it were taken off/had a different brace on. He mentioned how the point of it is to restrict mobility

So from what i gathered, he may be nearer to 100% than we know, he wants it off, and docs/training staff arent giving the ok on that...yet

Well if its anything like the brace i had to wear it restricts your range of motion. So when he's running full speed and you need 100% range the brace may only be allowing him 70-80%. Try to imagine running like that. Having 1 leg full range and the other restricted. Im sure its not very comfortable.

Well, if it is "smoke" it's working. Most of the sports media think he's not 100% and therefore are picking us to lose. Just hope the Seahawks think the same thing.

He did say in a PC this week he's been practicing without it until the trainers notice he's not wearing it. Then they make him put it back on.

I think it comes off this Sunday.

I will say his throws scared me for the first time all season last Sunday. He was off more than ever before and if that were to continue into this game and we need to throw it more against this secondary...it wont be good. Im praying thats not the case but I can see why its being talked about.
I think it was just a bad game combined with we really didn't have to throw the ball AT ALL because Dallas couldn't stop the run. I thought he was slinging the rock just fine a week before against Philly the pass to Moss was a thing of beauty. Bottom line is he had a bad game and won. I don't expect him to have 2 bad games in a row. And with another week he has to be a little bit more healthy.

If I may throw this out there I was also one to be concerned on his throwing accuracy. When I rewatched the tape, dare I say that a few were intentional.

I feel and may just be my opinion, but I think alot was by design. I even think he may be off the knee brace come game time to disillusion the d into thinking he may run all day.

I will say his throws scared me for the first time all season last Sunday. He was off more than ever before and if that were to continue into this game and we need to throw it more against this secondary...it wont be good. Im praying thats not the case but I can see why its being talked about.

This has nothing to do with his knee IMO. He threw the ball just fine and was accurate against the eagles the week before when his knee was less healthy. He just had an off game passing last week and Morris was destroying people on the ground

The brace comes off this game.

I've been wondering, how much longer does he have to wear this thing (provided we win, of course)? Wasn't it a 2-4 week injury? This'll be 4 weeks. I was hoping that they'd at least fit him for a less cumbersome brace at this point. I'm convinced the brace is holding him back more than the knee itself.

Gotta think the brace will come off soon.

This is the playoffs, if he is near 100% they may go with a soft support instead of a full brace. It may come off all together and maybe this is what they were saving him for. I don't know, but he efficiency both running and passing should be improved week by week. He is already getting used to the brace more and more if he has to where it.

---------- Post added January-4th-2013 at 08:54 AM ----------

If I may throw this out there I was also one to be concerned on his throwing accuracy. When I rewatched the tape, dare I say that a few were intentional.

I feel and may just be my opinion, but I think alot was by design. I even think he may be off the knee brace come game time to disillusion the d into thinking he may run all day.

I saw the same on some of those throws, he didn't make the Romo sits to pee throw and get picked off. He threw the ball into the ground at least twice where he would have otherwise been forcing it in there.

I severly sprained my ankle years ago. I think I actually tore something, but never got it checked out (young and no health ins at the time). I brought a sleeve for my ankle and for about 5 to 7 years after that, I would always put that on to give my ankle a little support when playing sports. It helped and to this day, my left ankle is still weaker than my right. I'd like to see him take the brace off and put a soft knee sleeave on it.

My sister's ex-husband had knee problems and he wore his knee brace TOO much. His knee atrophied after a while and he eneded up with a knee replacement later on. He's in his late 40s now, close to 50.

I saw the same on some of those throws, he didn't make the Romo sits to pee throw and get picked off. He threw the ball into the ground at least twice where he would have otherwise been forcing it in there.

i hope that pass to i think garcon running a crossing pattern was intentional. he tried to laser rocket it in there and it hit the ground about 5 yards short. ugliest pass he's thrown all year.

i hope that pass to i think garcon running a crossing pattern was intentional. he tried to laser rocket it in there and it hit the ground about 5 yards short. ugliest pass he's thrown all year.

I don't think that was one of them, I would have to rewatch the game to describe the two I saw which I think were both toward the sidelines.

I severly sprained my ankle years ago. I think I actually tore something, but never got it checked out (young and no health ins at the time). I brought a sleeve for my ankle and for about 5 to 7 years after that, I would always put that on to give my ankle a little support. It help and to this day, my left ankle is still weaker than my right. I'd like to see him take the brace off and put a soft knee sleeave on it.

My sister's ex-husband had knee problems and he wore his knee brace TOO much. His knee atrophied after a while and he eneded up with a knee replacement later on. He's in his late 40s now, close to 50.

But I'm pretty sure he only wears it for games and probably practice. I don't think he's overwearing it. He's said the doctors give him a hard time cuz he takes it off too much for their liking. I got the impression that if they're not watching, he's not wearing it.

I've been wondering, how much longer does he have to wear this thing (provided we win, of course)? Wasn't it a 2-4 week injury? This'll be 4 weeks. I was hoping that they'd at least fit him for a less cumbersome brace at this point. I'm convinced the brace is holding him back more than the knee itself.

That... or it could have been much closer to a grade 2 sprain than everyone let on. Who knows?

Am I missing something here? didn't the doctors say playing will not re-injure the knee. is that with the brace on? Personally I feel if he doesn't feel any pain take the damn brace off. right now its the playoffs, we need him to be at his best. its one and done guys and if there isn't an issue with long term damage, get the damn brace off.

RG3 is getting better and better which will make the offense more diverse and unpredictable. The thing I love, however, is how RG3 is learning how to protect himself and the importance of doing so. It is not macho to attempt to squeeze out every yard only to get rocked or injured--it's stupid. He is a much better QB than he was at the start of the season based on that alone.

Defenses love to get "kill" shots on QBs and some were able to get them on RG3 earlier in the year which gave the defense a sense of satisfaction. Nothing is more frustrating than a QB who scrambles for a first down then slides before the defense arrives. I hated it so much when it happened to the Redskins. Now our team has the type of QB to frustrate other teams and their fans. It is so demoralizing, especially when it happens on third down. RG3 is a threat to demoralize a team on every down that he runs.

The young man is merely a pup who is only 16 games into his career and he already looks like a seasoned vet! Redskins fans and opposing fans ain't seen nothin' yet! :D

He suffered a scary injury, and the brace is there to lessen the likelihood of further injury. His confidence may suggest that the brace is coming off, but there is no chance that the team will risk him like that.

He's obviously not fully recovered. I think he actually felt unexpected pain against Dallas when he tested it on his first run, thus his play was shaky for most of the first half, and he continued to favor his right side in the second(note his left side hop into the endzone). This injury is likely to take more time to recover from than most here anticipate. Understand, this is a 2-4 injury, BUT he has been practicing on it the entire time. If he had been sedentary this entire time the injury would have healed more than it has.

Don't be surprised if the 'Skins try to get him into a passing rhythm early off the option.

He looked like he was at about 80% on Sunday, which is still more mobile than most QBs. His running was fine.

His passing, on the other hand was off. That's what worries me. He one-hopped a couple and looked less confident than usual. Now I don't know how much of that was his injury and how much of that was the weather, because the guy throwing the ball for the other team on Sunday looked off as well.

But yeah. It worries me a lot. He's hasn't looked right throwing the ball since Baltimore.

He suffered a scary injury, and the brace is there to lessen the likelihood of further injury. His confidence may suggest that the brace is coming off, but there is no chance that the team will risk him like that.

He's obviously not fully recovered. I think he actually felt unexpected pain against Dallas when he tested it on his first run, thus his play was shaky for most of the first half, and he continued to favor his right side in the second(note his left side hop into the endzone). This injury is likely to take more time to recover from than most here anticipate. Understand, this is a 2-4 injury, BUT he has been practicing on it the entire time. If he had been sedentary this entire time the injury would have healed more than it has.

Don't be surprised if the 'Skins try to get him into a passing rhythm early off the option.

He said the brace was limiting his his flexion and extension and he said he feels great. We will see come gametimes :)

By the way i saw nothing to suggest he re aggravated anything in the sound FX and turning point videos.

He looked like he was at about 80% on Sunday, which is still more mobile than most QBs. His running was fine.

His passing, on the other hand was off. That's what worries me. He one-hopped a couple and looked less confident than usual. Now I don't know how much of that was his injury and how much of that was the weather, because the guy throwing the ball for the other team on Sunday looked off as well.

But yeah. It worries me a lot. He's hasn't looked right throwing the ball since Baltimore.

it's the brace, not the knee, according to the man himself.

Archived