Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is "too much" being made of RGIII's injury going into Sunday?

NoCalMike

Look, we all understand RGIII being 100% is probably not going to be the case this Sunday.

With that said, lets examine his play vs Dallas with the injury, primarily his running plays.

From what I remember, every time he took off to run, even though he was visibly slower, he was never caught from behind, he converted a 1st down every single time, and also had a rushing TD, despite being injured and not 100%

When I am listening to the analysis for the game Sunday, these people are acting that if RGIII can't run a 80 yd keeper for a TD, then the 'Skins chances are none. It is simply ridiculous.

What these folks are overlooking or ignoring is that the offense is not based on RGIII running 80 yard keepers. It is based on the threat of him running. Whether it is a 5 yard run, or 10 yard run etc etc etc.....and he seemed to do just fine against Dallas, despite having the knee brace on.

I don't want to hear about "Well, Seattle's defense is faster" ? Oh really? Well does that matter when they will be frozen at the snap of the ball, having to wait around and guess who has the ball? Just like every single other defense that has faced this offense?

RGIII may not be 100% but he far from being a gimp out there, and when he is rushing, he is still pretty damn effective. Just because he goes for 10 yards instead of 25, doesn't make his injury "the difference"

Ask the Dallas defense how much that knee injury helped them stop his rushing attempts. Ask them why they still had no chance at all stopping him on his scamper to the endzone, despite being slower than earlier in the season.

Not to mention this will now be Week 4 of an injury that was expected to take 2-4 weeks to heal. His knee will be improved over last week.

I do think too much is being made of it. He averaged 10.5 yards per carry last game and is only going to be healthier this week. I think that the brace makes him run "funny" and not necessarily all that much slower than what he usually runs. Analysts are going to go with their subjective perception that RG3 is significantly slower rather than try to figure out objectively how much slower he's actually running.

Definitely too much is being made of it. I was laughing my ass off when Collinsworth referred to him as "hobbled," only to rack up first down after first down. It was classic.

His accuracy is what concerns me. I can't believe I'm even typing that, but it's true. His passes were terrible.

He wasn't particularly accurate on some of his throws against Phili and was worse this week against Dallas. The Brace concerns me because it might not only be limiting his mobility but also making him uncomfortable when he throws. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he goes out there on Sunday and has a huge game throwing the ball. I think he's due

I dont think it's to much. I dont think we realize exactly what a special player we have. He is CLEARLY hobbled. But RG3 at 75% is more than most QBs at 100%. We've been treated to quite a show this season with Griff's incredible speed and quickness. So now everyone looks at him and notices the clear difference because the kid was amazing earlier in the year. But just as the OP said.. Just because he's not going to break 80 yd scampers doesn't mean he can't move the chains. He still wont be caught in the open field, but he's just going to leave the extra yards he would normally get with his athleticism to Alfred Morris. Just like Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers does when they scramble..

too much is being made of it, yes. doctors were overly cautious to sit him against the browns, and they are being overly cautious now making him wear the brace, which is obviously affecting his mobility and throwing accuracy. RG3 has said his knee feels FINE and that the "gingerness" people are seeing are the result of the rigidity of the brace, NOT pain in his knee. i understand doctors are being as conservative as possible, but i think they are doing more harm than good by forcing this brace on him. he was not accurate or comfortable, (although he had speed when he needed it). the brace is making his movements less fluid though, and in my opinion THAT is an injury risk.

free rg3.

I think the crappy field is going to slow seattles defense down A LOT, which plays into our favor!

They brought in and re-did the field with KY bluegrass this week. So the field is going to be not torn up. Hopefully.

Brace gives the false impressions to the other team that he can't run that well... I call it a diversion. Hopefully his throws in the BIG game were just that - being a little nervous on the biggest stage of his life in his rookie year.

They brought in and re-did the field with KY bluegrass this week. So the field is going to be not torn up. Hopefully.

Did they really? Interesting, is there a story about it somewhere? Or was it talked about on the Redskins show on comcast?

I thought I read somewhere that he felt 100% last week (maybe not performing 100%, but felt it), but they made him keep the brace on, which slows him down significantly. If that's true, and considering we're in week 4 of a 2-4 week injury, I'd expect him to be almost 100%, maybe something like 95%.

So yeah, too much is probably being made of his injury. He was way more injured in the Eagles game, and we beat them with RGIII's arm, and last week RGIII didn't have to do all that much, he only had 24 action plays out of 60 total.

I think it was a diversion, a combination of making sure RGIII was safe, but also playing little mental games with Rob Ryan, making them question just how dangerous he was on the ground. The moment the brace comes off he'll be right back to his old self.

As long as he can show run a couple times, he doesn't need too many carries. I get the impression the Seattle D is pretty hard hitting, so I'm not sure I want him taking any unnecessary shots. In retrospect, I think it was apparent last week that having his speed hampered a little by the brace/injury allowed him to gain positive yards running but kept him from trying to pick up too many extra yards and possibly getting popped. That said, if it comes down to an important moment or we need him to rattle off a huge gainer, I'd like him to be full speed. Maybe they can find one that will break away like Forrest Gump's leg braces if need be.

That would be huge if the brace does in fact come off. RGIII's knee is extremely close to 100% and I don't think a lot of people realize that. The brace makes it appear as if RGIII is more injured than he actually is due to the limited mobility he has been flaunting the past couple weeks as a result of wearing it. Take that brace off and nothings slowing down our offense on Sunday...

That would be huge if the brace does in fact come off. RGIII's knee is extremely close to 100% and I don't think a lot of people realize that. The brace makes it appear as if RGIII is more injured than he actually is due to the limited mobility he has been flaunting the past couple weeks as a result of wearing it. Take that brace off and nothings slowing down our offense on Sunday...

Well @HTTR247 mentioned something about how RG III was wearing something closer to a sleeve on his knee at practice rather than the bulky brace. Either way, I'm pretty sure the team will be hush hush till kickoff so the Seahawks don't know what's coming

I'm beginning to get concerned that the true nature of RG3's injury is not being revealed and that after the season he will have surgery on his knee.

He simply is not the same and to my eyes at least was as "gimpy" against dallas as he was against philly the week before.

I will say his throws scared me for the first time all season last Sunday. He was off more than ever before and if that were to continue into this game and we need to throw it more against this secondary...it wont be good. Im praying thats not the case but I can see why its being talked about.

It wasn't a great passing performance but I think that was more down to Dallas overplaying pass defense rather than his brace affecting him. There were a couple of drops too. Seattle put a great deal of trust in their CBs and our WRs are underrated so I don't expect them to put their safeties deep, especially after what Morris did to Dallas on the ground. There should be more opportunities to throw, especially to Moss and Paulsen.

Archived