Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: Know Your Opponent: The Real Seattle Seahawks Defense ( Film Breakdown)

Lavarleap56

Seattle has an aggressive defense with some good speed in the front seven so when they react to a play it is at 100 mph. The defense makes a lot of plays but makes plenty of mistakes. I keep hearing about this dynamic secondary of the Seahawks with people claiming they are a turnover machine.

Sounds nice but reality is the Seahawks have 18 interceptions as a team while the Washington Redskins have 21. Sacks are another area the media wants to talk up ,but the Seahawks have 36 for the season while the Redskins have 31.

Redskins leads the league in percentage of drop backs that are play action passes at 39.1%. As a result Robert Griffin III is the #1 rated quarterback in the NFL of Play action passes with 1,826 yards, 68.6 completion %, and a 117 Quarterback rating.

Do You know who is the 24th rated defense defending the play action pass… ? The Seattle Seahawks.

The Miami Dolphins run a very similar system to the traditional Washington Redskins offense. Kyle Shanahan came up as a WR coach for Mike Sherman while with the Houston Texans. Sherman took the Shanahan/Kubiak offense to Texas A&M before eventually making his way back to the NFL. The Dolphins are not a great team but they are great film to watch to find out how the Seahawks scheme matches up with the Redskins core offensive concepts.

Who says you can’t run or throw on the Seahawks?

ADOLPHINS.jpg

In Week 12 The Miami Dolphins had a lot of success against the Seahawks using misdirection football.

Miami will come out in a I formation running a fake reverse HB Dive. The reverse action will attract the eyes of the defense just long enough to allow the dive to gain big yardage. The Seahawks are giving Miami a pre-snap read of 2 deep Man, but will rotate into Man cover 1.

fakerev1st2.jpg

Read More here : http://httr24-7.com/uncategorized/know-your-opponent-seattle-seahawks/

I keep wondering how the CBs, their supposed strength, will fare against a team running a lot of stretch running plays. Every time I see their team, their corners do a great job jamming hte line of scrimage preventing the release of the WRs. Does this attempt to engage the WRs make it easier for the WR to block in open space? I would think the CBs would have to make a quick read on whether it's a run or pass, and I wonder if they are in a worse spot to defend the pass if prevented from jamming due to a threat to run outside.

I really am not that worried about their Defense. We've been going up against supposed elite defense's all year and have come out embarrassing them for the most part.

My only worry this game is the Seahawks methodical, and time-consuming, offensive style against our Defense. So long as we don't allow Wilson and Lynch to play their games and net 5-6 yards per play, I think we'll be ok. Playing an aggressive style Defense that has the risk of giving up a quick score or two throughout the game vs. a more passive one that allows them to hold on to the ball will be the difference and, fortunately, that's the style of Defense we've been playing.

But, thanks for this LL. It's very interesting and it puts in perspective exactly how our offensive strengths (play action, rushing) happen to be their defensive weaknesses.

we'll exploit them just like Miami did. Can't wait. I can see this getting out of hand early if we have success like we did against the Rams (physical D) when we went up 21-6 on them. If we do that against Seattle, and force Wilson to abandon the run game, it'll be over quickly.

Great work, LL56. I hope we roast these guys, but even a 1 point win will give me all the club I need to do some serious beatings.

I don't have to minimize the quality of their team to know they're "human" and are no more perfect than the Texans or the 49ers, for instance, and we certainly can beat them (and will).

Running teams have run the ball well against them. Save for the 49ers... who had a terrible gameplan and who were coming off of a big win against New England.

This game will come down to the turnovers and how well our defense performs.

Thanks LL.

In the chat between Dan Graziano and Mike Sando on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast ) the Seahawks problems against Miami are somewhat glossed over:

"They became vulnerable to trap runs against Frank Gore in Week 7. In my view, that game and perhaps another one at Miami were the only ones in which poor run defense played a meaningful role in a Seahawks defeat" - Sando

Sando then goes on to say he thinks the Seahawks will try to emulate the way the Bengals played us; however he earlier mentions how the 'hawks defense isn't comfortable when it changes it's style (as they did versus the Lions). I think they'll play pretty much how they usually play on the basis they believe themselves to have the edge all round.

from the article:

"Here you see the Redskins run a fake reverse play pass, a staple of their playbook. These concepts design is to take advantage of over aggressive defenses who lack discipline in the secondary like The Seattle Seahawks"

I have been SCREAMING this all week here.... I think that with aggressive defenses like the seahawks (giants... who coincidentally the redskins were built to take on)

the misdirection/PA coupled with their defense liking to play man coverage is gonna be MURDEROUS for their defense

I really like the skins in this one.. people act like the hawks are gonna score 50 every week from now on...

This is a crazy informative and fun to read OP … awesome. Would it be too much to sticky Mods?? We need to have more X’s and O’s stuff on the front page! Enough of the Alfred Morris Nickname type of threads ( I just posted in that by the way! :pfft: )

I have a question … do the skins EVER let the WR keep the ball on the play action handoff/reverse play?? It seems to open up so much, but it is not like we ever let the RB or WR keep the ball and run with it … EVER.

from the article:

"Here you see the Redskins run a fake reverse play pass, a staple of their playbook. These concepts design is to take advantage of over aggressive defenses who lack discipline in the secondary like The Seattle Seahawks"

I have been SCREAMING this all week here.... I think that with aggressive defenses like the seahawks (giants... who coincidentally the redskins were built to take on)

the misdirection/PA coupled with their defense liking to play man coverage is gonna be MURDEROUS for their defense

I really like the skins in this one.. people act like the hawks are gonna score 50 every week from now on...

You will see the Redskins getting Seattle going sideline to sideline all game long. I don't wnat to discredit the defense but I think they really struggle with PA passes and interior routes. I wouldn't test Sherman and Browner too much from the hash to sideline, too good out there. The Corners also really struggle with quick change of direction.

Plus 10 OP. I looked at stats early this morning because i was tired of all this hype for the seagulls. Enough said reading your post.

Nah, keep the hype coming. I want the Skins to play like a scared dog, cornered and foaming at the mouth. The Seahawks are awesome, the Skins have no chance, Wilson is better than RGIII- this week is playing out perfectly. I think the Seahawks personally are a good team, but they certainly can be beat, and our two biggest advantages are playing at home and coaching. When the Skins get the running game going, look out of the play action. I think we can bait this team into some long plays.

Archived