Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: Know Your Opponent: The Real Seattle Seahawks Defense ( Film Breakdown)

Lavarleap56

Great analysis. One question -

If you were able to identify this weakness in their cover 1 man defenses, why hasn't this been exploited by other teams? Did the other teams not have the right personnel, did Seattle successfully take it away, or did the other teams just try to beat Seattle in a different way?

Simple man - most teams do not have a dynamic enough offense to overcome what Seattle tries to shut down. We have a very complete offense - yes several of the pieces could be improved but our offense is all in and works in sync. Our offensive line all the way out to our receivers block their asses off and know their responsibilities perfectly in the running game. Defenses have to choose either RGIII or Alfred and when they do we simply pick the other one. When they key too much on Alfred we can either run RGIII or play-action pass.

Other teams do not have all those options, or at least are not nearly as successful when they pick them because they lack a mobile, deadly accurate QB, they lack the RB or they lack the offensive line. Our offensive line is by no means the best in the league, but they've never had to be. Shanahan excels at putting together athletic linemen that are smart and bust their ass every play so that even if they aren't the biggest or strongest, they get to exactly where they need to be to open up holes for the perfect ZBS running back in Morris.

It doesn't guarantee us success as we still need to execute next week. But their are definitely opportunities for our offense that simply don't exist for other teams for obvious reasons. But our offense can definitely have success against any defense in this league, provided they execute. About the only time our offense has looked poor all year was against Pittsburgh when receivers just could not execute and hold on to the ball. I don't see that happening this week and it better not because I would not be surprised to see Seattle sell out to stop the run and force us to beat them with the pass and 1-on-1 matchups with their corners.

Football Outsiders had a post today on this as well, but it said that Seattle plays a Cover 3, but that Sherman and the corners free lance themselves into man coverage a lot. Not sure how this helps or hurts.

It is cover 1.. Seahawks use a pattern match coverage technique at times where the CB shuffle instead of backpedal. The shuffle allows them to be in position to run quicker than coming out of a back pedal. Looks like cover 3 at times but mostly cover 1 man. The shuffle helps them disguise more when they do decide to play zone, and helps the Corners make up for their quick change of direction issues as pointed out by Charley Casserly.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2013 at 09:01 PM ----------

Not sure it is truly a "weakness" they execute that cover-1 really well due to their physical corners. They have those corners that can be left on an island and destroy WR at the LOS (dirupting the timing/rerouting the routes going to the middle of the field), when you have that luxury running a cover-1 scheme is not such a bad idea. Also, its not like they are in that look every single snap im sure they mix it up with cover-2 and 3.

They don't mix it up that much actually.

It is cover 1.. Seahawks use a pattern match coverage technique at times where the CB shuffle instead of backpedal. The shuffle allows them to be in position to run quicker than coming out of a back pedal. Looks like cover 3 at times but mostly cover 1 man. The shuffle helps them disguise more when they do decide to play zone, and helps the Corners make up for their quick change of direction issues as pointed out by Charley Casserly.

Gotcha... Am I right that Cover 1 is a more aggressive defense, but that it is more susceptible to big plays because of that?

They don't mix it up that much actually.

Wow kind of surprised by that, based on the tape you've watch how often are they in cover-1 (in terms of precent of base defensvie snaps)? Do they use cover-1 in most of their sub pacakges? For example, would they stay in cover-1 on a 3rd and 20?

Hey just wondering, how much has their defensive personnel and scheme changed since last year. Alot of our guys on offense should have some experience from last years game. However our offense has changed so much I dont think they can say the same.

Just to repost this since it has some bearing on the disucssion:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/46484/why-the-seahawks-are-built-to-handle-washingtons-offensive-revolution

LOL having read the article the author has no idea how Seattle is going to stop our offense except to say that Earl Thomas is a good player. Literaly he writes about how great our offense is for most of the article and the punchline to stop it is Earl Thomas really good stuff LOL sorry to have posted that

Running teams have run the ball well against them. Save for the 49ers... who had a terrible gameplan and who were coming off of a big win against New England.

This game will come down to the turnovers and how well our defense performs.

Thanks LL.

San Fran shut them down in the first game, they only scored 6 points. Another "grass" game where they really were much slower overall.

I like our chances, Seattle only averages 16.6 Points per game on grass fields.

They are basically being overhyped because of TWO games, one against AZ and one against the Bills. Both played on the fast track, not real grass. FedEx field itself is a bad matchup for the Sea Chickens.

Just to repost this since it has some bearing on the disucssion:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/46484/why-the-seahawks-are-built-to-handle-washingtons-offensive-revolution

LOL having read the article the author has no idea how Seattle is going to stop our offense except to say that Earl Thomas is a good player. Literaly he writes about how great our offense is for most of the article and the punchline to stop it is Earl Thomas really good stuff LOL sorry to have posted that

No it’s good, I liked the article because it outlined our offense well. But I did come to the same conclusion. The Seahawks are “built to stop us” because they have a couple good players.

Wow kind of surprised by that, based on the tape you've watch how often are they in cover-1 (in terms of precent of base defensvie snaps)? Do they use cover-1 in most of their sub pacakges? For example, would they stay in cover-1 on a 3rd and 20?

Sub packages are a different beast bro. They basically stay in man cover 1 on 1st and 2nd down in some form. They will show man 2 deep and rotate post snap, show cover 2/3 then rotate into cover 1 with delayed bumps etc.

Seattle has the personnel to play the scheme they are playing with Sherman and Browner on the edge and a speedy third CB.

Browner is coming off a 4 game suspension.. Will take awhile to get his legs back. Even at full strength he doesn't scare me.

With Seattle you have to make your living over the middle or clearing out the sideline with your WRs while backside crossing routes enter the empty area..

Think back to Pittsburgh when Robert was hitting Paul and Paulsen 15-22 down field on the sideline.

Yeah the grantland article is a great breakdown as to why our offense is so hard to stop. The title of it is totally unfitting tho lol.

It was almost as if his entire premise is this:

"Washington's offense is so good only because the defenses they played suck."

Personally I don't think that it matters who is on the defensive side of the ball. If you cannot read your keys and make breaks on where the ball is going to go, your athleticism means nothing. You will be out of position, and players will run by you or around you.

Football Outsiders had a post today on this as well, but it said that Seattle plays a Cover 3, but that Sherman and the corners free lance themselves into man coverage a lot. Not sure how this helps or hurts.
Cover 3 and Cover 1 can look very similar pre-snap and early post snap, especially if its a pattern match Cover 3. But, the telltale indicator will be how they react to crossing routes. Cover-1 will of course follow their man, and zone will look for work within their zone.

From my observartions Seattle plays both Cover 1/3. I think its unlikely BUT If Seattle can train their LBs to play pass first and honor their coverage and not bite hard on backfield action AND not get gashed by our running game at the same time then our base personnel offense could have troubles.

But, we could always go to more spread if our base personnel offense isn't clicking.

Hey just wondering, how much has their defensive personnel and scheme changed since last year. Alot of our guys on offense should have some experience from last years game. However our offense has changed so much I dont think they can say the same.

Garcon (Indy), Hankerson (IR), and Morgan (SF) weren't even on the team last year.

Moss had 4 catches for 29 yards

Lu ran 23 times for 108 and a touch.

Lynch ran 24 times for 111 yards. Should be just as evenly matched with both sides having new and improved weapons.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2013 at 04:47 PM ----------

The main key to this game will be to keep Wilson in the pocket. The guy is dangerous once he leaves that pocket and if hes not contained, its gonna be a long day for the defense.

I agree. This would be the perfect game for Brian Orakpo to run the tackle right up the field.

They could change but I don't think they will. As a team they can not stop the run with only 7 in the box, they need Chancellor to be involved in the run game.

And I suspect that, after seeing what we did to Dallas, they will be disinclined to keep 2 safeties deep. :)

did you get the catch 22?

Catch 22? Means were screwed either way, or did you sarcasm meter? I is lost at this juncture. lol.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2013 at 07:04 PM ----------

Great great post! I think 'smart' Skins fans are not too worried about this game.

After the last seven weeks who worries?

Casserly just slammed our corners when asked if a lack of a true number WR would hurt Seattle. This was on NFL total access, also Jamie Pukes said RGIII was the rookie QB under the most pressure. Wow, I think this is setting up nicely.

Really sweet breakdown of their D LL, as usual the reality is something different from the fans' perceptions.

Griffin has shown himself to be the master of the believable fake and he makes incredibly fast and accurate reads on defenses, there will be opportunities to exploit Seattle's.

Great great post! I think 'smart' Skins fans are not too worried about this game.

I'm cautiously optimistic, as I am with all of our games. I see flaws on this Seahawk team that I think we can exploit. At the same time, I'm worried about our teams flaws as well. What I do like is that everyone seems to be picking Seattle and giving no respect to us. Hopefully our guys use it as bulletin board material and put a hurting on them Sunday

Great article LL as usual. The disparaging comments on the article make me sick. I'm really tired of these dbag Seahawks fans everywhere I turn on the internet.

Thanks bro, I could care less about the comments from Seahawk fans.. I could tell by the reaction this hit them in the heart.

---------- Post added January-4th-2013 at 03:16 AM ----------

Great analysis. One question -

If you were able to identify this weakness in their cover 1 man defenses, why hasn't this been exploited by other teams? Did the other teams not have the right personnel, did Seattle successfully take it away, or did the other teams just try to beat Seattle in a different way?

Teams attacked it with the post but I don't think anyone uses the PA post as much as the Redskins.

Also, is there any particular reason that we run the fly route on the opposite side of the formation from the post? Wouldn't the fly pattern being on the same side as the post lead to more big plays? The safety would have to shade toward the deep sideline to take away the fly, leaving the entire remainder of the field available for YAC once the post receiver makes the catch.

The fly route on the opposite side is to put the safety in conflict. Safeties are taught to always stay deeper than the deepest as the last line of defense. They see the post route coming but it is hard to drive on it because the threat to hit the fly route.

It was a great write up as always, and wow the comments talk about being a bit insecure. It's not like you said they had a terrible defense just that we have ways to attack it but anyways who cares. :D

I always enjoy the pictures to support it, really helps see whats happening. I'm much more of a visual learner lol

Gotcha... Am I right that Cover 1 is a more aggressive defense, but that it is more susceptible to big plays because of that?

Depends if the offense is capable of consistently attacking the coverage and the quality of defenders playing it. Williams and Blache use always use the "Angel" defense with Taylor or Laron as the deep middle safety 20-30 yards deep.

Archived