Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: After school shooting in Connecticut, Piers Morgan blasts America’s ‘gun madness’

PCS

Is anyone tired of this argument?

Does anyone realize how OFTEN this happens now?

Will anything ever change it?

Will there ever be a real dialogue on the problem instead of accusations and defensiveness?

This country is ****ing CRAZY.

~Bang

Yes this country is crazy and getting crazier.....The worst I have ever seen it.

I would like to point out that of course it starts with the person. It's like the old saying, guns don't kill people, people kill people. You need to cure the person if you really want to stop senseless killings.

HOWEVER, I believe that if you solely focus on how to cure people then you are avoiding the fact that guns play a tremendous role in these tragedies. Gun advocates want to avoid this fact and point at the people. But what measures would be affective at curing this horrible disease of gun violence? You can't eliminate social and psychological factors, they are too tremendous. Inequality, depression, loneliness, mental illness.....these are factors that lead people to kill and go on rampages. You can try to help cure them, but eliminating them is impossible. They aren't tangible enough.

What is tangible? GUNS. We have the ability to restrict them. Can we eliminate them? No. But the main fact is that guns are dangerous. There is no real reason they should exist.

Just what i said mate but you said it better :)

It's actually very simple.

A combination of guns & gross wealth inequality along with poor provisions for mental illness is the main cause.

In short, don't give stupid miserable unhappy poor people guns.

It's much easier (And cheaper) to just remove the guns than it is to fix social problems.

"If Islamic terrorists killed 18 American children, we would have scrambled fighter jets" - from a FB friend

Now, I'm not saying we start bombing Connecticut, but the point (like the Gizmodo article above) is that the death of Americans is normally dealt with swiftly and completely in order to prevent further instances of it. Now, after repeated mass shootings, what have we have done to further prevent them? Are we, as a society, valuing our right to bear arms (or any infringement upon that) more than we value an individual life?

Because, in my book, I'd rather have to wait a year for a firearm, pass screenings to own said firearm, pay high fees to cover those screenings, periodically have to be re-screened to continue ownership of those firearms, and have 18 alive and happy kids right now in Newtown.

The Aurora shooter had an AR-15, didn't he?

Not an assault rifle by definition.

Although, after rereading the original post, he said an "assault weapon" wasn't used, which isn't technically correct. Assault weapon is a political term that includes the dreaded black semi-auto rifle.

This video should be informative to many people.

Just what i said mate but you said it better :)

I remember reading your quote and agreeing with it.

There are so many social problems that contribute to violence/crime/etc. We can try to fix them, but it isn't going to end. We can, however, remove guns. Just like you said. Cheers.

"So who's bringing all the guns in this country? I couldn't sneak a plastic pellet gun through customs over in London...." - M. Mathers

always follow the money.

someone has utilized/accepted the risk/benefit analysis to determine that the monetary benefits of continuing to offer/promote/sell these types of weapons is greater than the societal benefit of the opposite.

The AR-15 in the United Kingdom

As with all semi-automatic, centerfire rifles, AR-15s are classed as a Section 5 weapon, i.e. a person must provide an exceptional reason and gain permission from the Home Secretary, making ownership all but impossible for a private citizen

This is the type of gun control you need

Yes this country is crazy and getting crazier.....The worst I have ever seen it.

indeed. Just watched the news... Along with the catastrophe that occurred at the elementary school, 22 kids were stabbed in china, and two people burned to death in their car after an accident. Watching the news has become the equivalent of reading the obituaries. Death, death, death. lovely world we live in..

Talk about putting a band-aid on a massive wound.

The wound isn't a lack of gun laws. It is a broken society. We need better parenting, better education and better help for the troubled. This nut broke many laws today. More gun laws wouldn't even have slowed him down. No access to a gun wouldn't have had to stop them. A vehicle on a playground would be equally deady and serve his purpose just as well. This is a tragedy because so many innocent were killed needlessly. 27 lives ended needlessly. The root cause is far far deeper than any issues related to gun access. You can focus on the gun. Enact laws that ban them for that matter. It is something that can give you a sense of doing something. Making a change. But in the end it will be a fruitless endeavor. Societly will be just as broken and heading for a cliff and tragedies like this will continue to happen. I believe the best way to stop these kinds of incidents would be to remove the driving factor. Stop with the non stop instantaneous coverage. This is only feeding the frenzy. There is only one reason for committing this type of mass crime. Attention. It's a shame they're not getting the proper attention before they snap.

Easy way is to blame guns, the problem is not the guns but the people behind them. NJ has some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation and it was still easy to shoot the kids. If he didnt have a gun, a knife, bat, bomb, etc could be used. DUI deaths and gun homicides are about the same levels in the US, should we ban alcohol? Obviously this guy had mental issues.

I have to agree with those for banning all guns. The reason for this is the second amendment, if read totally, does not state for normal people, it's for militia. The people killing people in schools and elsewhere, to my knowledge is not part of a militia. Here is what the second amendment reads, look it up if you do not believe me:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

This says to me that the right to bear arms is for the case that the nation needs people within the country that are not in the military to help against invading nations. It was written during the times of the Revolutionary War when the military did not have enough people to defend the 13 original states. As of now, the U.S. military is one of the largest in the world. The need for a militia is no more. If the military needed help to defend it's states and territories it would just begin to draft or take volunteers.

As for many laws, this is one of the largest that has become obsolete in this country.

The wound isn't a lack of gun laws. It is a broken society. We need better parenting, better education and better help for the troubled. This nut broke many laws today. More gun laws wouldn't even have slowed him down. No access to a gun wouldn't have had to stop them. A vehicle on a playground would be equally deady and serve his purpose just as well. This is a tragedy because so many innocent were killed needlessly. 27 lives ended needlessly. The root cause is far far deeper than any issues related to gun access. You can focus on the gun. Enact laws that ban them for that matter. It is something that can give you a sense of doing something. Making a change. But in the end it will be a fruitless endeavor. Societly will be just as broken and heading for a cliff and tragedies like this will continue to happen. I believe the best way to stop these kinds of incidents would be to remove the driving factor. Stop with the non stop instantaneous coverage. This is only feeding the frenzy. There is only one reason for committing this type of mass crime. Attention. It's a shame they're not getting the proper attention before they snap.

I've seen "in the last 30 years" thrown around as a time-frame for how "crazy" society is. The worst school massacre in this country happened way before that, and it didn't include guns. Imagine if information traveled then as fast as it does now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 04:39 PM ----------

I have to agree with those for banning all guns. The reason for this is the second amendment, if read totally, does not state for normal people, it's for militia. The people killing people in schools and elsewhere, to my knowledge is not part of a militia. Here is what the second amendment reads, look it up if you do not believe me:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

This says to me that the right to bear arms is for the case that the nation needs people within the country that are not in the military to help against invading nations. It was written during the times of the Revolutionary War when the military did not have enough people to defend the 13 original states. As of now, the U.S. military is one of the largest in the world. The need for a militia is no more. If the military needed help to defend it's states and territories it would just begin to draft or take volunteers.

As for many laws, this is one of the largest that has become obsolete in this country.

Thankfully, the Supreme Court of the United States, and very recently Illinois, disagrees with you. It's a right of "the people." We are "the people."

There was some interesting commentary by someone on CNN saying that the USA has gone too far with patient "rights" and have made it far too difficult to incarcerate people for mental illness. I don't know a lot about that but she made some interesting points.

I still think we need to take a hard look at violence portrayed in our society. I would start with all of these video games. Guns have been available since 1790. These school shootings have begun in the modern Information Age. I challenge anyone who thinks that is coincidental.

There was some interesting commentary by someone on CNN saying that the USA has gone too far with patient "rights" and have made it far too difficult to incarcerate people for mental illness. I don't know a lot about that but she made some interesting points.

I still think we need to take a hard look at violence portrayed in our society. I would start with all of these video games. Guns have been available since 1790. These school shootings have begun in the modern Information Age. I challenge anyone who thinks that is coincidental.

I would start with all of these video games. Guns have been available since 1790. These school shootings have begun in the modern Information Age. I challenge anyone who thinks that is coincidental.

The fact that these perpetrators seem to consistently be young men of this same generation shouldn't be lost on anyone. IMO.

We've got a real problem in our society. We are ill and we keep swallowing more poison. Wonder how many kids are going to get the new COD under the tree this Christmas

Archived