Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: After school shooting in Connecticut, Piers Morgan blasts America’s ‘gun madness’

PCS

Well shooting skeet lends itself to shooting twice (not sure why you're firing three times at a skeet target ;) ) and to breaking open your gun and reloading.

I often shoot three times because I am not a highly skilled marksmen. Probably not even mildly skilled. I have recognized and accepted my limited ability. :ols:

My father in law called me today asking about the security at my elementary school. We have a woman sitting at a front desk by the door and thats it, no police presence at all. The middle school I taught at last year had a full time officer... I'm sure a lot will change here soon

Yeah. My middle and high school had an officer as well. He wasn't "at guard" all of the time, and was very friendly. It wasn't a 'police-state' type atmosphere either.

As far as my elementary school, I don't think so. That could have changed by now...but you've got to think that it certainly couldn't hurt...

And then look at their violent crime rates. This is from 2009, but bears reading when thinking about violent crime overall. 2034 violent crimes per 100,000 people committed in the UK, vs. 466 per 100,000 in the US. While our murder rate is higher, one could argue "civilized" countries like the UK are overall more violent.

Yeah the UK is more "violent" than the US (rollseyes)

What happened was absolutely horrible but banning guns will do nothing to stop these things (not an gun owner). If we started banning things based on the amount of deaths they've caused there would be no cars, alcohol, tobacco so on and so forth. The reality is we need stricter laws of which a person can obtain a gun and until that is implemented nothing will change.

Also, wanted to show that people seem to want to paint this as an American thing. ****ed up people who want to harm innocents are everywhere, even in places with no gun crimes like China.

That's a given. The problem is that you can't ignore degree (as your posts seem to indicate that you are, although I'm sure a lack of explication lends itself to that impression). That's what the gun control debate is about: degrees of effectiveness, not true prevention.

Also, wanted to show that people seem to want to paint this as an American thing. ****ed up people who want to harm innocents are everywhere, even in places with no gun crimes like China.

Yes bad stuff happens in China.....and Lithuania...and New Zealand....But the USA is BY FAR the worst when it comes to this.

Yeah. My middle and high school had an officer as well. He wasn't "at guard" all of the time, and was very friendly. It wasn't a 'police-state' type atmosphere either.

As far as my elementary school, I don't think so. That could have changed by now...but you've got to think that it certainly couldn't hurt...

For sure, the officer at the middle school was nice as can be, loved by the staff and kids, but having a single trained professional in a bullet proof vest, fully armed, is a lot better than me running at a guy with a gun while i'm holding a chair

The fact so many flip their **** over the idea of their firearms being taken away points to the real problem. We've been raised in one culture and need to form another if we're going to limit this insanity. Otherwise, we're just going to recycle the same arguments as Aurora as Virginia Tech as Columbine as whatever and nothing will ever change.

WE'VE GOT TO THROW OUT ALL THE GUNS

BUT I LIKE GUNS

TOO BAD

BUT IF NO ONE HAD GUNS THEN EVERYONE WOULD DIE

OK LET'S LIMIT THEM OR MONITOR THEM OR SOMETHING

NO THAT'S TOO HARD

DAMN OK LET'S JUST LEAVE IT AS IT IS

FINE BY ME

ETC

I'm not saying that you can't do things your way. I'm just saying that the necessity of doing things your way is not what you seem to think it is.

I never said it was necessary to do it my way, just that I happen to find use in doing it my way. I was replying to your comment about using a glock to cut a steak, which seemed to infer that because you didn't personally find any use in using a firearm, that they weren't useful for anything beyond killing people. That is simply not the case. And if you decide that firearms are not for you, I'd gladly shake your hand and let you live your life the way you want. All I ask is for others to show me the same respect. I'm not going to commit a murder, and assuming there are 50 million gun owners out there, 99.98% of gun owners will chose to not commit murder every year either.

Yes bad stuff happens in China.....and Lithuania...and New Zealand....But the USA is BY FAR the worst when it comes to this.

But guns aren't the root. We're a violent culture, sadly. We use guns to kill because we /have/ guns. If we didn't we'd use something else.

Actually IIRC most of the homicides in the U.S. aren't even committed with guns.

I so hope no one on here ever makes it into office. How is a gun ban going to fix things? There is a law against murder, did that help? Criminals do NOT follow the law. Thats why they are criminals. giving everyone a free handgun makes more sense than banning them (which is pretty stupid too). I just hope none of you need to rely on a ccp owner to save you and your familys lives.

The biggest problem with situations like this is when people blame the inanimate object and do not hold the person AND OTHERS AROUND THEM accountable. America doesnt want to hold anyone accountable nowadays and thats why were in most of the messes were in. you cannot tell me there was absolutely no red flags coming from someone this crazy.

I would also like to add that most mass shootings happen in school, the most obvious place you cant have a gun. It sure makes a ton of sense to spread that to the general American public.

I also find it beyond screwed up that the pro-gun crowd will crow "nothing will change because criminals will still have access to guns".

If bridges were killing people by the thousands, the government would certainly do something about it. Guns get a pass.

I don't want to take away your guns. I want them harder for you to buy.

Why is it when something like this happens the first jump is to blame it on the guns. There has always been guns in this country but until recent years things like this have not happened. This violence can be traced to the decline of morals in this country. This country needs God not gun control.

I never said it was necessary to do it my way, just that I happen to find use in doing it my way. I was replying to your comment about using a glock to cut a steak, which seemed to infer that because you didn't personally find any use in using a firearm, that they weren't useful for anything beyond killing people. That is simply not the case. And if you decide that firearms are not for you, I'd gladly shake your hand and let you live your life the way you want. All I ask is for others to show me the same respect. I'm not going to commit a murder, and assuming there are 50 million gun owners out there, 99.98% of gun owners will chose to not commit murder every year either.

That wasn't my comment.

The biggest problem with situations like this is when people blame the inanimate object and do not hold the person AND OTHERS AROUND THEM accountable. America doesnt want to hold anyone accountable nowadays and thats why were in most of the messes were in. you cannot tell me there was absolutely no red flags coming from someone this crazy.

One of the biggest problems is when people assume that people only blame guns. This is far from the truth.

The fact so many flip their **** over the idea of their firearms being taken away points to the real problem. We've been raised in one culture and need to form another if we're going to limit this insanity. Otherwise, we're just going to recycle the same arguments as Aurora as Virginia Tech as Columbine as whatever and nothing will ever change.

WE'VE GOT TO THROW OUT ALL THE GUNS

BUT I LIKE GUNS

TOO BAD

BUT IF NO ONE HAD GUNS THEN EVERYONE WOULD DIE

OK LET'S LIMIT THEM OR MONITOR THEM OR SOMETHING

NO THAT'S TOO HARD

DAMN OK LET'S JUST LEAVE IT AS IT IS

FINE BY ME

ETC

Your country needs more young people like you my friend. Well said

Is anyone tired of this argument?

Does anyone realize how OFTEN this happens now?

Will anything ever change it?

Will there ever be a real dialogue on the problem instead of accusations and defensiveness?

This country is ****ing CRAZY.

~Bang

Perhaps the Queen's English defines "violence" differently than Yankee English. Please enlighten me, what do you consider "violence"? Because the link i cited was from a UK paper, not an American one.
But criminologists say crime figures can be affected by many factors, including different criminal justice systems and differences in how crime is reported and measured.

In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is physically injured.

There are also degrees of violence. While the UK ranks above South Africa for all violent crime, South Africans suffer more than 20,000 murders each year - compared with Britain's 921 in 2007.

I also find it beyond screwed up that the pro-gun crowd will crow "nothing will change because criminals will still have access to guns".

If bridges were killing people by the thousands, the government would certainly do something about it. Guns get a pass.

I don't want to take away your guns. I want them harder for you to buy.

Nothing will change,

Just like nothing changed after Columbine,

Or Virginia Tech,

Or Aurora,

Or this tragedy,

Or the next shooting,

Or the next.

Perhaps the Queen's English defines "violence" differently than Yankee English. Please enlighten me, what do you consider "violence"? Because the link i cited was from a UK paper, not an American one.

Ok, firstly the definition of violent crime is different from country-to-country. Secondly, the paper reporting this is the same as listening to FOX news :)

One of the biggest problems is when people assume that people only blame guns. This is far from the truth.

Most do. You have to admit that. Shoot there are people on the forums screaming ban guns. Thats essentially where they placed their blame right?

A bigger **** you to those that say guns don't kill people. I mean the biggest **** you allowed. .

My guns are stored in the safe in my house and not one time in the last 30 years have I had to get up in the middle of the night and go downtown looking for them because they got the itch to go shoot somebody.

So right back at you in the biggest way allowed. :)

Is anyone tired of this argument?

Does anyone realize how OFTEN this happens now?

Will anything ever change it?

Will there ever be a real dialogue on the problem instead of accusations and defensiveness?

This country is ****ing CRAZY.

~Bang

Seriously people are ****ed up in the head because this same argument is play out for 30 ****ing years.

My guns are stored in the safe in my house and not one time in the last 30 years have I had to get up in the middle of the night and go downtown looking for them because they got the itch to go shoot somebody.

So right back at you in the biggest way allowed. :)

I admire your guts and completely agree. I would also like to add that my wife had a huge fear of guns until I taught herhow to shoot and the importance of how important it is to know how to safely use one. Now she knows that if she is ever by herself and hears a window break that she isnt prey to a sick monster. She can turn the tables safely. We also have a safe room with ammo and a 12 Ga that also would help her get the upper hand against a full grown man.

She also has a cute .38 with pink grips she would love to show to a burglar. She is completely self reliable in a situation like that and I would imagine many husbamds would like that. I do...

Archived