Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: After school shooting in Connecticut, Piers Morgan blasts America’s ‘gun madness’

PCS

This is completely backwards thinking. So you are saying that if someone at the school had a gun he or she could've shot the person who was shooting the kids? How about if NO ONE HAD A GUN TO BEGIN WITH. I'm sorry but your reasoning is so completely wrong.

This.

I am 31 years of age and have never, ever seen a real gun, in the flesh (so to speak). Serious.

No-one i know has one, on-one i know wants one and no-one i know feels the the need to have one.

Because that person will be trained to respond to a extremely stressful situation with deadly force.

He'd most certainly have a better chance than unarmed teachers and frightened 6 year olds huddled in their classrooms as their classmates and colleagues are gunned down.

31,347 Americans died from gun violence in US last year.

Let that number sink in.

how many people died from OD'ing on drugs? how many people were killed by drunk drivers? drugs are illegal, and drunk driving is illegal, but it still happens.

even if guns were banned, people would still be killed by them.

The right to bear arms isn't the issue, its the regulation and issuing of said arms that seems rather idiotic to me. Unless you live in a war zone...why does one need a bullet proof vest, or multiple fire arms for that matter? Would limiting it to one gun per person solve anything? I don't know I'm just thinking out loud and trying to make sense of the senseless :/

Its a part of the issue. It definitely is. IF it wasn't so easy to get guns in this country, we wouldn't have as many shootings. I'm sorry, but I believe that.

That being said, it would have been nice if there was a little time for an investigation to occur before someone blamed "the gun madness" of America for this. Not to mention, a little cooling down period, followed by actually allowing the people who lost someone some time to grieve before turning this into a political football.

if a bad person wants to get a gun, they'll get one. legal or not.

as somebody mentioned, most drugs are illegal. but give me 5 minutes and I bet I could find cocaine quite easily, if i really wanted it.

Why get an illegal gun when it takes about 30 minutes to get a legal one.

When the majority of the handful of people most likely purchased the guns legally in the first place, yes, especially in incidents like this where the person may not have known where to get them illegally.

I would venture to say that the majority of people who kill others do so with legally obtained property. Are you for the confiscation of all property that may be used by one person to kill another?

He'd most certainly have a better chance than unarmed teachers and frightened 6 year olds huddled in their classrooms as their classmates and colleagues are gunned down.

Well, this is true but let us know when one of these mass killings ends prematurely because of this imaginary hero.

How many of these guns are mobile? As in moving? I don't care if it's a billion. How many cell phone users are there combined on all carriers? They can monitor your data usage by gigabyte but now all the sudden 310 million guns is an issue?

When these guns move from someones house, an agency should know! And they should know where you are going and why it's moving and if it's loaded.

I'm pretty sure this is both logistically impossible and unconstitutional.

how many people died from OD'ing on drugs? how many people were killed by drunk drivers? drugs are illegal, and drunk driving is illegal, but it still happens.

The debate lies in how it effects the rate at which people die. No one with half a brain believes you can prevent gun deaths entirely with any measure. There will always be someone with the means and lack of sense of self-preservation to obtain and do something stupid with a gun.

as somebody mentioned, most drugs are illegal. but give me 5 minutes and I bet I could find cocaine quite easily, if i really wanted it.

The thing about this is that "bad people" who want to use guns for illegal means have every right to buy a gun in this country. You don't show up to a gun store with a sign around your neck that says "Future criminal."

I would venture to say that the majority of people who kill others do so with legally obtained property. Are you for the confiscation of all property that may be used by one person to kill another?

These arguments are ludicrous because you could kill anyone with anything if you hit them hard enough or shoved it down their throat. We get the point , but now we're being outlandish and unreasonable with these comparisons. A stapler cannot be turned into the efficient killing machine that an automatic weapon can.

Those calling for an outright ban on guns need to wake up and realize two things.. 1. Criminals will still have guns, and in this country we have a lot of criminals... 2. Our government is corrupt and over the last 20 years we have seen more and more of our liberties striped away and regulated by this government than at any other time in our nations history. You'd have to be blind to not see the direction in which this government (not a Dem/Rep thing, gov't as a whole) is trying to take by attempting to disarm, divide and weaken the population of this country.

throwing the baby out with the bath water does nothing and is an idiotic idea.. I say idea because it's not even intelligent enough to be called a "solution".

Every modern first world country in the entire world with strong gun cotrol laws disagree.

I am not talking about a ban. But on this issue, we have a lot to learn. Why not look at other countries as an example. They have succeed. We have failed.

Maybe...but attempting to acquire something illegally provides another road block. Some of these people might not risk it. Others might be dumb about it and get caught. I would soften my stance on this if these people were committing this acts with illegally acquired firearms, but that isn't the recent pattern. I can't just accept that it would keep happening at this rate if guns were illegal.

The NHL and NFL banned head shots, they still happen. So does that mean every rule that isn't 100% effective is pointless? Should the leagues go back to letting people's brains be potentially damaged?

Drunk driving deaths nationally have been cut in half, actually a bit more, in the last 30 years. So if that doesn't justify the means, what does?

300 million plus guns in the USA ~ 15000 homicides per annum

1 homicide per 20,000 guns.

Homicide victimization rates are ~ 6 times higher for minorities (a huge factor is drug-related turf wars in urban settings)

And yet school shootings get all the attention. If that is the concern, find a way to intervene when people show signs of being troubled. But remember, many were outraged here when they read the story of an angry employee who was fired and then bought weapons triggering a visit from law enforcement as it was a violation of his rights.

Archived