Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: After school shooting in Connecticut, Piers Morgan blasts America’s ‘gun madness’

PCS

I've become more open to guns since moving out to the country and seeing responsible people who are also gun owners. But, as a father, I'm heart broken today. We don't know if tighter controls or even an outright ban would stop these senseless murders but its probably worth trying. What's the downside? Less mass killings? So if we are wrong, we are wrong but at least we tried it.

Disarming innocents does not protect innocents.

Clearly, what we are doing now has failed. No other modern nation in the world has a gun problem like we do. None.

We We have failed. Our system is broken. Other counties have succeeded and dont have this problem. Maybe it is time we follow an example of success.

I. Guns will never be banned, and they shouldnnt be. Just make the process of buying a firearm much more involved, with more emphasis on mental health. Not just criminal record.

What if the ATF monitored every gun in the country? Knew when it moved, was loaded, etc.. Don't you think that would help? Would you be against having to notify the ATF that you were leaving your home with you weapon? And telling them where you were going?

Essentially, I think every gun in the country needs to be monitored.

Yes, because there are no people in a school besides children. They teach and run the school themselves. CT schools are way ahead of the curve when it comes to cost cutting measures.
Little Billy? No. But one single, solitary law abiding adult and responsible gun owner who was able to legally carry on the premises could've saved a lot of lives.

Understood...my comment was for effect obviously.

But I don't know why anyone would believe that it's a good idea for a loaded gun to be at a school. I can think of a millions ways that could go wrong. How do we know that the people who are licensed to carry them won't flip out one day? As I mentioned in my earlier post, the recent mass shootings have been carried out by those who are legally holding firearms. That means that any teacher or administrator with a gun on school grounds is just as likely to do this (under the current screening process). So, no thanks on allowing guns at elementary schools.

What if the ATF monitored every gun in the country? Knew when it moved, was loaded, etc.. Don't you think that would help? Would you be against having to notify the ATF that you were leaving your home with you weapon? And telling them where you were going?

There are over 310 million firearms in the United States. It would be impossible to monitor each and every one.

While I like the idea of tracking, I think the manpower needed and cost associated with the tracking would be prohibitive, considering the number of guns in this country.

Okay seeing everyone wanting bans on firearms infuriates me. First of all, DRUGS ARE BANNED, has that stopped every drug addict from obtaining drugs? How will you feel if they ban all guns, you turn yours in or whatever, and someone busts in your house who has illegally obtained one? If we took guns away from everyone, the crooked would run the world even more so than they do now. It would be mature if you noticed that most of you who call for a ban on guns don't worry about the violence the TV's are pumping into our kids. Maybe a ban on that would make more sense than a ban on guns...

I do however feel that a tougher screening process to obtain one would be better idea. Whenever I get my guns, it seems like an easy 30 min process and I'm good to go. All they do is call the FBI and make sure you haven't committed any crimes and are mentally stable. I have always felt like its too easy for someone to get a gun. I have done nothing wrong in my entire life so I wouldn't be against tougher screening because I have nothing to hide.

I would also like to add that as a teacher, I am DEEPLY saddened to hear this. Prayers for the family's and everyone affected. This county needs to change and we pay money for someone to figure this crap out. Its really getting so bad that something needs to happen soon.

So you're ok with confiscating property of tens of millions of people because of what a handfull of people have done? And that's just a good place to start?

When the majority of the handful of people most likely purchased the guns legally in the first place, yes, especially in incidents like this where the person may not have known where to get them illegally.

well, if there were a way they could implement that, I'd be all for it. I'm not going to notify the ATF and tell them where I'm going every time I leave the house, but if they had the means to track my firearm as it moved with me, that's fine.

But with over 500 million guns already in the country, that would never happen. But I like the idea, if it were possible.

Why do people have more than one of anything? Because they do different things. I own multiple firearms, and they are all good for different purposes. Of course, none of them have ever been used to kill a person.

I'm sure 99.9% of people who bring various liquids on an airplane aren't doing it with the intent of blowing it up but we still ban it. It's not a far-fetched idea to make people sacrifice in order to prevent worst-case scenarios.

FYI, I'm not an advocate for a total ban, just tougher restrictions. Much tougher.

Little Billy? No. But one single, solitary law abiding adult and responsible gun owner who was able to legally carry on the premises could've saved a lot of lives.

This is completely backwards thinking. So you are saying that if someone at the school had a gun he or she could've shot the person who was shooting the kids? How about if NO ONE HAD A GUN TO BEGIN WITH. I'm sorry but your reasoning is so completely wrong.

How will you feel if they ban all guns, you turn yours in or whatever, and someone busts in your house who has illegally obtained one?

exactly. Some crazy dude breaks into my house, trippin' off bath salts, with a pistol. Since the gov't took my shotgun, I've now got a bat sitting next to my bed.

his gun vs. my bat. I lose, and my family is all dead.

It would also make tens of millions of people "guilty" by virtue of owning property.

Indeed. If a full-on ban were to be enacted that would have to be taken into consideration and dealt with appropriately.

Yes. They'd be the ones killing everyone else while no law abiding citizen could do anything to stop them.

I tend to ride the fence on this issue as I'm inclined to believe that there are probably multiple ways we could address the problem (some more effective than others but all with some merit). That said, this is a particularly ill-conceived, paranoid sentiment on your part.

There are over 310 million firearms in the United States. It would be impossible to monitor each and every one.

How many of these guns are mobile? As in moving? I don't care if it's a billion. How many cell phone users are there combined on all carriers? They can monitor your data usage by gigabyte but now all the sudden 310 million guns is an issue?

When these guns move from someones house, an agency should know! And they should know where you are going and why it's moving and if it's loaded.

CNN is saying that the guy who did this is named Ryan Lanza. Was able to find his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/rlanza

Someone on the internet is also saying that he may have killed his parents first at his home in NJ and then went to the elementary school. This is really sickening.

His mother supposedly worked at the school.

Archived