Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: Film Sessions: Aldrick Robinsons 68 Yard Touchdown

Lavarleap56

what is the deal with this pistol formation? is it something new? are we the only team running it? seems like all of our big plays are coming out of this formation. the fact that you said 2 plays before we got a 12 yard run out of it then a 68 yard pass, it seems like noone can stop it.

The pistol stresses the defense becuase you can do so many things (run veer, zone, traps, sweeps and more while still having a strong pass threat) so it has to cover all the bases instead of focusing on one or two things.

The ball went perhaps 59 yards in the air as well. Just thought I'd point that out.

yeah people need to stop exaggerating the flight distance as 60 yards.. lets be real guys;)

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 12:43 AM ----------

I had someone who told me that they were unimpressed with Griffin's pass to Moss vs. the Eagles. While I allowed for the fact that it was a jump ball (it was) I pointed out that it was 62 yards in the air, easily and was NOT a Hail Mary type of play, which often gives a QB time to gather and prepare himself and set for the throw and follow through. On the TD to Moss vs. Philly, Griffin had to reset AWAY from his strong hand and quickly throw the ball...62 yards down the field. Someone said that a lot of QBs could have done that. Huh? Besides Favre and Vick and a couple of freakish-armed dudes, very few QBs can set, have to reset away from their strong arm from a rush up the middle and throw a pass that far. Was it his very best pass of the season? NO. But it's not as if it was a poor one either, it was more or less on target for a jump ball.

Yes, people seem to forgot that rg3 wasn't able to step into that throw.. it was all arm. Impressive

LL, great work again. What i noticed from these All-22 angles is just how open our receivers get due to Kyle and the scheme. On many of these breakdowns I just see guys running free all over the place and I am just amazed at how good this scheme/play calling truly is.

Well I was just saying that he threw the ball an incredibly long distance, but ok...

I know, I was kidding... We are all in agreement that Robert can throw ball pretty far

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 02:20 PM ----------

Well he threw it from the 25 to the 15... isn't that about 60 yards?

I was hoping that the winking emoticon at the end of my sentence would indicate that my comment was in jest. 59, 60 or 65 yards- it doesn't really matter. Robert has a BIG arm

what is the deal with this pistol formation? is it something new? are we the only team running it? seems like all of our big plays are coming out of this formation. the fact that you said 2 plays before we got a 12 yard run out of it then a 68 yard pass, it seems like noone can stop it.

The thing I noticed from the video is that had the ball been handed off, Morris probably would have ripped off another big run of 8-15 yards. The play is exceptionally well blocked, especially at the point of attack, just adding to the defenses worries of the run.

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 04:12 PM ----------

LL, great work again. What i noticed from these All-22 angles is just how open our receivers get due to Kyle and the scheme. On many of these breakdowns I just see guys running free all over the place and I am just amazed at how good this scheme/play calling truly is.

What? Wait a minute. I thought that Kyle sucked, and he only got his job through nepotism?

Even Aikman during the broadcast was talking about seeing him in warm ups, and asking Shanahan "How the hell did you get him in the 6th round?!"

The thing that gets me, more so than Aldrick getting downfield, was the fact that Robert's ball HIT him. I'm so used to the throws Jason Campbell and Rex would making going no where. I'm still not used to see the Redskins make huge downfield passing plays like that! :ols:

I remember 1991. Saw it all the time.

I know, I was kidding... We are all in agreement that Robert can throw ball pretty far

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 02:20 PM ----------

I was hoping that the winking emoticon at the end of my sentence would indicate that my comment was in jest. 59, 60 or 65 yards- it doesn't really matter. Robert has a BIG arm

Yeah... sorry about that. Starting doubting myself after I posted.

Love those breakdowns. Doing some very good work at HTTR.

One important thing to note: The OL held up beautifully through the entire play. How many times have we seen routes down the field develop, say "Where's the ball?" Look back, and the QB is either on the ground or running for his life? The OL this year deserves a lot of credit. They aren't great in just straight drop back pass mode, but they are doing a hell of a job with all this run-action, and opening up holes in the run game.

Second thought: You know, if Robinson develops into a guy who can stretch the field 2-3 times a game, Garcon gets healthy, and Morgan and Hank contribute, with Davis (assuming he comes back healthy) and Logan P. (who, btw, is my second favorite player on the team, and has been since I met him at the "ride to provide" over the summer), and the ability of Morris to keep defenses honest by running the ball 25 times a game, this offense can be scary good.

It's unbelievable what they are able to do in just one year. RGIII, Garcon, Morgan and Morris are all in their first year with the team. RGIII is still a rookie, and will get better. Garcon has been hurt, and hopefully he'll return to full strength. And even the guys who have been around, it's their first year running this type of offense.

Third thought: The offenses are entirely different, but Robinson is reminding me a little bit of Az-Zahir Hakim in the Ram's "Greatest Show on Turf." Defenses were always so concerned about Holt, Bruce, Faulk and Ricky Proehl, and then BAM! Hakim would catch a pass for 60 yards and break their back.

Robinson reminds me of that. He's got so much speed, and defenses have so many other things to prepare for, and all of a sudden BAM! there's Robinson down the field. He's not going to catch 5-10 balls a game. It's not his role. But you throw him out there for a few snaps here and there, and all of a sudden, the defense has to respect it, and if they don't, BAM, 7.

The next thing that your going to see is a lot of underneath stuff to that side. They'll start using Robinson to run off coverages, draw the double team away, and hit something medium underneath it. It's got to be a nightmare to defend.

One thing I've thought about Griffin is he is "late" on his deep throws. Even this one, you could argue the ball should have come out when Robinson was even with the safety who was still facing in. At even, with the safety there, it's still a touchdown but it's only a 40-yard-pass in the air. Still, this one was as on time as I've seen him on the deep ball and with his arm, I actually thought he out threw Robinson. From where I was sitting, the angle looked like he had tossed it at least 10 yards beyond where Robinson could get. But Robinson is fast. Someone wrote that Griffin has a real good idea of his audience in terms of who he's throwing to. I think that pass is a great example because Hankerson never gets to it but Robinson does. I like his development and enjoy these break downs.

I think most NFL receivers can "get" to it, IF the QB is smart enough and leads him diagonally away from defender, towards the sideline as much as the endzone. Lets say, not throw a missile straight over the guys head and make the WR crossing the field be forced to adjust to an over the back or shoulder catch, that is much more difficult. You know, the types of throws we have had in this town for almost 2 decades now, wihich besides being a tougher catch, gets the DB into a better position to get a hand on it, or pick it off

It seems so simple yet it took getting RG3 to lead WR's properly. He knows you don't have to lead a guy blindly to the endzone. I am thrilled.

Archived