Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Shanahan's given up, what hope do we really have with him? A pretty darn disappointed and disillusioned long time backer of the HC.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I thought Shanahan was at least a good coach and not great, now I'm not even sure he's good, at least not at this point in his career. 6-10, 5-11 and this looks like another under .500 season. His defenses stink. I didn't want to be in that what has he done since Elway and Terrell Davis crowd, but...

RG3 and Alfred Morris look great at least. Not enough though.

I always thought Shanahan was lucky to have Elway.

Lets let them retool before we judge. I know our 3-4 in 3 years is historically one of the worse defenses in NFL history !!!

How about we get a real defensive coordinator before we judge our 3-4?

Our year 1 to year 2 progression looks pretty much in line for what you'd expect for a defensive retool. Too bad that was all Spanos.

Shanny should be blamed for not realizing Haslett couldn't coach and Spanos was the one making things seem fine, but that's easily fixable.

Firing Marty after an 8-8 season is not the same as giving a guy three years to see SOME progress and getting none. In fact, if not for RGIII we'd be regressing in all three facets of the game. Well, special teams has been so bad it couldn't get worse.

I think it's a bad idea to just look at short term results when trying to build a team for the long term. I do see the dumbest Redskins defense I've ever seen though. I can't help but think Haslett shouldn't make it through the bye.

We have to keep offensive system intact. Every franchise qb in the league has been in the same system for years

Exactly. So we change it now, or bring in a coach that runs a similar system.

I don't think I can stomach this staff for the next 10 years.

Good players can run any system.

I think it's a bad idea to just look at short term results when trying to build a team for the long term. I do see the dumbest Redskins defense I've ever seen though. I can't help but think Haslett shouldn't make it through the bye.

Three seasons is not short term in today's NFL. It does not take 5 years to see moderate progress. We have seen none minus drafting RGIII and stealing Morris.

Shanahan runs the entire circus. How do the redskins change without takings massive step back?

Anyone think Snyder trusts Allen to stay and handle hiring a new cach? Can he do that well? Can he handle payer acquisition, because Shanahan has been doing that? Does he find one that prefers zone blocking? Does he find a 3-4 Coordiator?

The skins don't need a reset.

Personally I don't think Shanahan is going anywhere. Next year is his do or die season.

Exactly. So we change it now, or bring in a coach that runs a similar system.

I don't think I can stomach this staff for the next 10 years.

Good players can run any system.

Then we don't have good players. Carriker is a 4-3 bust for sure, and he's our best tackle.

Shanny should be blamed for not realizing Haslett couldn't coach and Spanos was the one making things seem fine, but that's easily fixable.

Yeah, um, he could have asked players too, who apparently have been not huge fans of Haslett for awhile, and Slowik who is universally regarded as trash and Shanahan keeps hiring. Knowing when your kicker needs to be cut, when you needed to go for it on 4th and 1 (earlier in the season) when you had momentum and knowing that changes need to be made BEFORE you lose a ton of games is how you identify a good coach. If Shanahan didn't see it was SPanos and not Haslett, what does that say about his next choice?

Maybe Shanahan is a huge part of the problem.

I've posted earlier this year about questioning Shanahan's job as head coach and have been told to "be patient" and basically to shut up and let him finish his contract out. I'll say it again....Mike Shanahan is not who you want RG lll growing up with in the NFL. Last week and today were abysmal, unacceptable losses....embarrassing. We are the Cincinatti Bengals, Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins or WORSE.....what a disgrace today was.

Has this team made progress under Mike Shanahan????? How bout 9 losses out of the last 10 home games? we are getting out coached!

How long and how many excuses do you give a coaching staff? When do you turn the page? Are we any further ahead than when Zorn was head coach other than the promise of RG llll?

Maybe I'm spoiled because i grew up in the Gibbs years but this is embarrassing....how does Danny Smith still have a job?

Evaluate for next year? Would Joe Gibbs have ever said that? Fire this quitter!

]Shanahan publicly drew a line in the sand... when he claimed the Panthers game was a "must win." So for him to come out at his presser and state something like 'it's business as usual, one game at a time, etc" -- would not have supported his earlier alarm.

Instead, Shanahan is now going to evaluate things over the bye, and to go into the second half of the season doing what is needed to transition this team into playoff level competition for 2013.

Let's be realistic --at 3-6, it's going to be difficult to get into the playoffs with a 9-7 record, much less win the division outright. Seven in a row is always possible of course, but it would be problematic to sweep Dallas and Philadephia AND beat New York and Baltimore.

I'm finding this defense of Shanahan/Allen odd, because I was originally against hiring Shanahan -- but now I think he's setting the foundation for a really competitve team. Sadly, he hasn't had that much luck so far -- McNabb/Haynesworth in 2010, the lockout in 2011, and the Mara cap in 2012 -- and lots of injuries to some key players. But each year, the team gets deeper and more competitive.

I'm for staying the course. It hurts to lose today, but the young players will learn from this. It's all about playing well at crunch-time, and now it's time to look at the players who didn't deliver, to see if they are salvagable, and can play talented, disciplined football... even at crunch-time..

I've posted earlier this year about questioning Shanahan's job as head coach and have been told to "be patient" and basically to shut up and let him finish his contract out. I'll say it again....Mike Shanahan is not who you want RG lll growing up with in the NFL. Last week and today were abysmal, unacceptable losses....embarrassing. We are the Cincinatti Bengals, Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins or WORSE.....what a disgrace today was.

Has this team made progress under Mike Shanahan????? How bout 9 losses out of the last 10 home games? we are getting out coached!

How long and how many excuses do you give a coaching staff? When do you turn the page? Are we any further ahead than when Zorn was head coach other than the promise of RG llll?

Maybe I'm spoiled because i grew up in the Gibbs years but this is embarrassing....how does Danny Smith still have a job?

Evaluate for next year? Would Joe Gibbs have ever said that? Fire this quitter!

We're becoming the Oakland Raiders of most of the 2000s, but with a good QB.

I always thought Shanahan was lucky to have Elway. "But what did Elway do without Shanahan?" Reach 3 superbowls.

If you look at the roster he won with in 97', you'd see that most of those players were on the team in 94' under Wade Phillips. All Shanahan did was add Terrell Davis. Shanahan has never had to build a team from scratch, and yet we've entrusted him with all player acquisitions.

I always thought Shanahan was lucky to have Elway. "But what did Elway do without Shanahan?" Reach 3 superbowls.
Nope. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Elway never won a single playoff game without Shanny. Those first 3 SB's that Elway played in, Shanny was his QB coach for one and OC for the other two. Nice try though.

What did it for me today was when the Panthers got the ball back with 6 minutes left, up two TDs, and Shanahan elects not to start using any of the timeouts he has on the board. Heck, Cam Newton did us a favor by going long into the end zone with a pass that fell incomplete, or else the Panthers could've salted away 40 more seconds off the clock. Complete time management incompetence and Dan Snyder surely has to be wondering about what exactly he's getting for this $7 million/year investment. Then again, after hearing about Shanny's postgame comments about it now being "evaluation time," maybe its not difficult to believe that, at that point, he had conceded the game.

I've been coming around on how much this team has been saddled with with the lockout last season and the BS cap hit prior to this season, and how we need to have patience with the Shanahan regime. However, crap like this really makes you wonder if it actually isn't time for a change.

If you look at the roster he won with in 97'' date=' you'd see that most of those players were on the team in 94' under Wade Phillips. All Shanahan did was add Terrell Davis. Shanahan has never had to build a team from scratch, and yet we've entrusted him with all player acquisitions.[/quote']

To be fair, I don't think anybody liked that part of the Shanahan hiring.

Shanahan publicly drew a line when he claimed the Panthers game was a "must win." So for him to come out at his presser and state something like 'it's business as usual, one game at a time, etc" -- would not have sufficed.

Instead, Shanahan is now going to evaluate things over the bye, and to go into the second half of the season doing what is needed to transition this team into playoff level competition for 2013.

Let's be realistic --at 3-6, it's going to be difficult to get into the playoffs with a 9-7 record, much less win the division outright. Seven in a row is always possible of course, but it would be problematic to sweep Dallas and Philadephia AND beat New York and Baltimore. .....

He's the HEAD COACH man. He can't be voicing that. He just can't.

You evaluate in the pre-season. You don't throw in the towel after 9 games and publicly announce your evaluating for future years.

That's a horrid message to put out there. Whether you believe it or not. Whether in reality the years over or not. You CAN'T publicly say such things. Totally unprofessional.

Hail.

I wonder how many people in this thread love Alfred Morris yet hate the Shanahans? I'd also love to see ES if we hadn't traded for RG3 and were still starting Rexy. One more, I'd love to see ES if we had Garcon for the entire season. I'm sure I'll be fried for this but its pretty easy to talk badly about a HC who has lost his best free agent signing and best offensive player for the entire season so far.

Archived