Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Shanahan's given up, what hope do we really have with him? A pretty darn disappointed and disillusioned long time backer of the HC.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

We have to keep offensive system intact. Every franchise qb in the league has been in the same system for years

But when Brees came and lit up the league with the Saints, it's not like had spent years in that system. Same with Matt Ryan, you grow with SUCCESSFUL systems. And the Patriots have changed so much in the last several years, you can't compare their 2003 system to their 2012.

I'm beginning to think that the problem is not with Mike Shanahan OR Kyle Shanahan, rather Mike Shanahan AND Kyle Shanahan as a duo.

The problem is I don't think Mike would stay if Allen wanted a change at coordinator.

The problem is you think Allen has the influence to make a change at coordinator. Allen is a figurehead who manages our salary cap.

Bottom line is Mike buys the groceries and cooks the dinner and so far all he's served us is a steaming pile of ****. I have 0 faith in his ability to correct this in the offseason because he hasn't been able to fix this same problem since 2005.

The problem is, Snyder has been rightfully pilloried for firing coaches too quickly in the past, and now that he probably should fire Shanahan and Allen he won't.

I disagree with the thread and the premise GHH, but I can't say I don't understand where you're coming from. There's still an ounce of homerism in me that thinks if that's what Mike said, then he feels that is the best way to motivate his players to regain some professionalism and focus going into the last half of the season.

But then again, I'm not sure what to believe about this team any more. This loss hurt today. Badly. Really, really badly. I just expected more. Ugh.

Bottom line is Mike buys the groceries and cooks the dinner and so far all he's served us is a steaming pile of ****. I have 0 faith in his ability to correct this in the offseason because he hasn't been able to fix this same problem since 2005.

The problem is, Snyder has been rightfully pilloried for firing coaches too quickly in the past, and now that he probably should fire Shanahan and Allen he won't.

Beers on me.

Beers on me.

The problem is you think Allen has the influence to make a change at coordinator. Allen is a figurehead who manages our salary cap.

While I mostly agree with you, the front office debacle is Snyder's doing. He has presided over a number of regimes now, but never thought to hire a competent GM with full autonomy... Even Vinny acted as the coach's stooge in his brief stint as a GM.

So you're saying the head coach is a lot like the fanbase, especially this one on ES? Yeah, yeah, yeah... he's the head coach he needs to be better than us.

lol, how fitting. Like I said in another thread, we absolutely deserve this team. 100%. I just hope for the majority of people here going off on Mike about his emotions they have at least a semblance of self-awareness to realize they're also referring to themselves.

And, this time, I won't reply to you taking offence to my post here, GHH. Have fun with it.

While I mostly agree with you, the front office debacle is Snyder's doing. He has presided over a number of regimes now, but never thought to hire a competent GM with full autonomy... Even Vinny acted as the coach's stooge in his brief stint as a GM.

... WHY DID HE GUT THE ONE STRENGTH THIS TEAM HAD FOR YEARS? That 4-3 needed some youth/aggression in certain areas not a complete face lift.

HAIL

I've asked myself this and have come up with this theory. After Shanahan was let go by Denver, I think he wanted to go the direction of the Steelers and Patriots for his next gig. He was probably confident in his offense, but wanted a strong defense that he thought would help get him over that hump. He probably had so much respect for the teams who dominated the AFC in the 00's, that he wanted his very own 3-4 defense. Having the opportunity to start from scratch with the Redskins, he probably figured that it was the perfect time to install a brand new shiny 3-4 defense that would help propel him to the success of teams like the Steelers and Patriots.

He needs to go into evaluation mode, let every player and D Coordinator know changes could come in the bye week. What can we really do? Without Garcon and Davis on Offense there is NO threat in the passing game. I questioned why we went away from Morris, but I think his injury may have had something to do with it. RG3 is unbelievable to make this offense go anywhere! Maybe after the bye we get semi-healthy with the return of Garcon and Meriweather, but who the hell knows.

What was Shanny's reaction supposed to be? "Go back to work, that's all we can do." That is so cliche, I felt like we got a honest representation of how he felt, they built this game up as our season, they cannot go back immediately after the game and say,"Oh well, we'll be fine."

I'm sure his comment had nothing to do with the bye week coming up...you know, when every staff in the league goes back and evaluates their team and decides what and who to keep when it comes to playbook and players???

Nahh....couldn't be that....

Y'all need to take a Midol.

Man you are so desperate for Shanahan to be the answer,

As much as I hate shaman an right now, we CANNOT change offenses. We made the same mistake with JAson Campbell. We need to let rg3 grow in this offense. Maybe fire Mike and keep Kyle.

JC is no RG3. RG3 would have no trouble adjusting to another offense.

I've asked myself this and have come up with this theory. After Shanahan was let go by Denver, I think he wanted to go the direction of the Steelers and Patriots for his next gig. He was probably confident in his offense, but wanted a strong defense that he thought would help get him over that hump. He probably had so much respect for the teams who dominated the AFC in the 00's, that he wanted his very own 3-4 defense. Having the opportunity to start from scratch with the Redskins, he probably figured that it was the perfect time to install a brand new shiny 3-4 defense that would help propel him to the success of teams like the Steelers and Patriots.

The Pats are running a 4-3 now!

I completely agree with the OP. This is not something you come out with halfway through the season. Even though we are pretty much eliminated from a chance at making the playoffs, you have to convince the team to play for pride. You don't give up just because we've had a few bad games offensively. He just gave every player on the team a reason to quit. Is that really the type of attitude we want from our team?

We should all be. It's not like coaching changes have done wonders for this team.

Firing Marty after an 8-8 season is not the same as giving a guy three years to see SOME progress and getting none. In fact, if not for RGIII we'd be regressing in all three facets of the game. Well, special teams has been so bad it couldn't get worse.

Head coaches NEVER have success with their second team.

No SB winning head coach in the History of the game has won a Super Bowl with his 2nd team. Doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon.

The Skins need a leader like Gibbs. Anything less and we're going to be Zorned forever.

I no longer believe in the Shana-Plan. Good work you got us our QB for the next 10 years, now please check your bags at the curb and take Haslett with you.

I thought Shanahan was at least a good coach and not great, now I'm not even sure he's good, at least not at this point in his career. 6-10, 5-11 and this looks like another under .500 season. His defenses stink. I didn't want to be in that what has he done since Elway and Terrell Davis crowd, but...

RG3 and Alfred Morris look great at least. Not enough though.

The Pats are running a 4-3 now!

And their defense is average at best, and is probably below average.

And for all the talk about how Shanny blew up our 4-3 (and the strength of those 4-3s was the SECONDARY, not the front 7), the Pats brought in our old 4-3 talent to fill the holes in their front, how's that working out for htem?

And their defense is average at best, and is probably below average.

And for all the talk about how Shanny blew up our 4-3 (and the strength of those 4-3s was the SECONDARY, not the front 7), the Pats brought in our old 4-3 talent to fill the holes in their front, how's that working out for htem?

Lets let them retool before we judge. I know our 3-4 in 3 years is historically one of the worse defenses in NFL history !!!

I am watching the Steelers-Giants game now on Redzone. Seeing Ryan Clark and Shaun Suisam play for the Steelers highlights the fact that over the past 10 years our talent evaluation of players has been less than average and has bordered on unacceptable at times. You have the retired GM of the Packers living in Annapolis Maryland and does our owner ever call him for advice? Sounds like Shanny's press conference today was a total downer.

Archived