Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

I'm not really down on Hank, but also don't really buy into this notion of "development" when it comes to hands. He's been playing WR for many years now, so I'm not sure I believe that another year under his belt will cure him of having a case of the drops. Typically it takes time for a young wideout and his QB to develop some chemistry, but that has nothing to do with throws that are right in your hands.

You didn't elaborate at all on your first reply and your last reply is practically a non sequitur, primarily because you made no effort to link it back to Hankerson. In other words, you seemed to dismiss the person you were replying to without actually addressing what he said both directly and clearly.

EA, I'm against Oldfan in this thread for the most part, but I think his point was pretty clear. Getting separation is only one aspect of being able to beat single coverage. Another aspect is being able to catch the ball when you cannot beat single coverage. His pretty clear point was that he saw Marshall win those contested balls even before he was putting up great numbers or would be considered a consistently good WR. So far, I would agree that we haven't seen that with Hankerson. I believe we've seen him get open plenty, but it sure would be a "next step" thing to see him start to make plays when he's not open. There have been a couple of long passes in traffic where he's gotten hands on the ball and not secured it. It would be great if that turns around for him.

I'm not really down on Hank, but also don't really buy into this notion of "development" when it comes to hands. He's been playing WR for many years now, so I'm not sure I believe that another year under his belt will cure him of having a case of the drops. Typically it takes time for a young wideout and his QB to develop some chemistry, but that has nothing to do with throws that are right in your hands.

It's a concentration issue. He gets distracted with whats about to happen when the ball hits his hands rather than following through with the four phases of a catch. Some guys realize it and it clicks. Some don't. It's not a develomental thing. A coach can say it 1000 times, but until he gets it, it won't get better.

It's a concentration issue. He gets distracted with whats about to happen when the ball hits his hands rather than following through with the four phases of a catch. Some guys realize it and it clicks. Some don't. It's not a develomental thing. A coach can say it 1000 times, but until he gets it, it won't get better.
I coached 11-12 year old boys. Every now and then I'd see a boy look at the QB, with the pass coming right at him, not raise his hands to catch it until too late. I've seen Hank do it a couple of times. Maybe he's blind.

You know, I think you said that in jest, but I wonder if they've had his vision checked... It could seriously be an issue.

Is that really something that helped Carlos Rogers in SF last year or was that just a rumor floating around? We have to remember that these guys are sometimes kids...it's not ridiculous that a 23-year old might not have something like vision perfectly addressed.

The only way that this can truly be resolved is to get him more targets on a consistent basis. I certainly see both sides of this argument. He's shown good athleticism, route running, and has decent size, but clearly has had mental lapses when it comes to hauling in catches. Question is whether he's lacking confidence and comfort level or can he just not catch.

I do, however, feel like the team hasn't been helping the situation by playing him so much with so few targets. If we are looking at him as a potential starter, then we need to know what he can do. It's hard to show that without getting in a rhythm. I think one of my biggest knocks on our offense has been that we're spreading the ball around too much and it's not giving a couple of guys the chance to step up. We run a lot and if Robert only throws 25 times a game, but targets 8-9 guys, then no one really gets a groove going.

Feed the ball to Hank consistently over the second half of the season to see if he can show evidence that he is what Mike and Kyle claimed him to be or whether we need to be looking at WR in FA or high in the draft.

I wasn't talking about separation. Cutler could toss the ball up even when Marshall appeared to be covered and he would come down with the ball. It was about body control and adjusting to the pass with the defender in his face. They are still doing it in Chicago.

As I now have time to reply to this post,

We're not using Hank the way the Broncos used Marshall. RG3 doesn't have the "throw it up and hope he comes down with it" mindset that Cutler has, nor do we run those types of plays. Our route combinations get people open. Hank is running open (or finding a hole in the defense and sitting in it). He's getting separation, and the only thing holding him back is his drops. He's plenty athletic and has the natural ability to play the position. The only times we've really thrown a ball to Hank when he was covered, he's been doubled, and he was interfered with. The only times he's been "covered" are when teams double him.

Honestly you always wait until year 3 with WRs (that you think could be good), which Hankerson has the tools to do.

I may catch some flak for this, but he is very similar to roddy white, who really didn't do much until his 3rd year in the league. Both are basically the same size (hank 1 inch taller), and have around the same speed. White also had initial problems with drops

EA, I'm against Oldfan in this thread for the most part, but I think his point was pretty clear. Getting separation is only one aspect of being able to beat single coverage. Another aspect is being able to catch the ball when you cannot beat single coverage. His pretty clear point was that he saw Marshall win those contested balls even before he was putting up great numbers or would be considered a consistently good WR. So far, I would agree that we haven't seen that with Hankerson. I believe we've seen him get open plenty, but it sure would be a "next step" thing to see him start to make plays when he's not open. There have been a couple of long passes in traffic where he's gotten hands on the ball and not secured it. It would be great if that turns around for him.
As I now have time to reply to this post,

We're not using Hank the way the Broncos used Marshall. RG3 doesn't have the "throw it up and hope he comes down with it" mindset that Cutler has, nor do we run those types of plays. Our route combinations get people open. Hank is running open (or finding a hole in the defense and sitting in it). He's getting separation, and the only thing holding him back is his drops. He's plenty athletic and has the natural ability to play the position. The only times we've really thrown a ball to Hank when he was covered, he's been doubled, and he was interfered with. The only times he's been "covered" are when teams double him.

TDWR in his post quoted, did a better job explaining the point I was making to you than I did.

We disagree on what we see in Hank, but there's nothing we can further debate.

its pretty silly to sit here and say its not good that he doesn't jump up and come down with the ball, when in reality the only guys that can really do that consistently is Megatron, Marshall, Johnson, V-Jax, Sidney Rice (to an extent), Fitzgerald, AJ Green, and Maybe Dwayne Bowe

All of those guys I believe are at least 6-4

So yeah its a trait among taller receivers.... not rocket science here

its pretty silly to sit here and say its not good that he doesn't jump up and come down with the ball, when in reality the only guys that can really do that consistently is Megatron, Marshall, Johnson, V-Jax, Sidney Rice (to an extent), Fitzgerald, AJ Green, and Maybe Dwayne Bowe

All of those guys I believe are at least 6-4

So yeah its a trait among taller receivers.... not rocket science here

Hankerson is six-three. Larry Fitzgerald is six-three. I didn't look up the others.

I wasn't talking about separation. Cutler could toss the ball up even when Marshall appeared to be covered and he would come down with the ball. It was about body control and adjusting to the pass with the defender in his face. They are still doing it in Chicago.
This is a great point.

I thought that RG3 and Hank would be the same type of dual that Oldfan is referring to in Chicago. We've yet to see Griffin lll able to throw in coverage knowing that his big bodied reciever would go up and get it.

This doesn't necessarily have to do with Hank, but I would also love to start seeing Griffin lll throw more/any back shoulder passes.

Hankerson is six-three. Larry Fitzgerald is six-three. I didn't look up the others.

he is listed at 6-2, and I was an inch off on Fitz..... but its larry fitzgerald man. Im not saying Hankerson will be great, or thar he will be bad, but he has the tools/traits. Wait until year 3 for him to breakout or always suck

I think every receiver on this team would do well to attend a "Logan Paulsen's Camp on How to Catch a Football, and People Who Want to Learn to do other things good to." Why is he the only person on this team who seems to catch the football regardless of contact and where the ball is thrown?

Just when I wanted to compliment Morgan today and his ability to catch balls in traffic and despite contact, he had a couple drops.

Hankerson came out of Miami as a highly touted WR. I saw a video of him catching balls and they said that he rarely dropped any balls. So what happened? He became a Redskin and he turned into the second coming of Rod Gardner? Don't give me this crap about the pre catch becoming second nature. Hankerson needs to have better concentration and stop trying to run before he catches the ball. I think Hankerson will be a good WR for us but he is a starter and was from the beginning.

Archived