Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

Harris Teeter is featuring the "Hanktastic" sub for a limited time in its DC area delis. The made-to-order sandwich was designed by Leonard Hankerson.

2012_SigSub_Hankerson_250x250.jpg

It is served on a white sub roll filled with chicken breast, Philly cheesesteak and bacon, topped with lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, chipotle sauce and a dash of salt and pepper.

Enjoy.

Harris Teeter is featuring the "Hanktastic" sub for a limited time in its DC area delis. The made-to-order sandwich was designed by Leonard Hankerson.

http://www.harristeeter.com/images/Promotions/Sweeps/Redskins/2012_SigSub_Hankerson_250x250.jpg

It is served on a white sub roll filled with chicken breast, Philly cheesesteak and bacon, topped with lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, chipotle sauce and a dash of salt and pepper.

Enjoy.

I'm guessing it won't meet my expectations.

Do you think falcon fanns were this impatient when they drafted roddy white? Or bronco fans with brandon marshall? I guess if a third round pick doesn't have 100 catches and 1200 yards he's a bust....

I think it's the "we've seen this movie before" syndrome. We've been burned so many times waiting on guys to turn the corner and it never happens.

Here's what bothers me so far with Hankerson: he has the body of a big, playmaking receiver, but does he have the heart? I have yet to see him out-fight someone to make a catch. I have yet to see proof that he wants it more than the defender. That's what playmaking receivers bring to the offense. Not just potential and measurables.

The guy has not even played in 16 regular season games and is coming off a major hip surgery. Give it a rest. Some recievers take time to learn the offense and get their full concentration toward catching. He still may be thinking during his routes and when the ball is coming his way, which results in drops. Its not like he isnt open. College to the NFL is a major adjustment as their is much more responsiblilty in regards to having to read a defense, option routes based on defenses, etc. If you expected Randy Moss in the third round out of the gate, well you would be sorely mistaken. He is a solid move the chains guy right now who needs to work on his concentration catching the ball. He could very well turn out to be much more as he develops.

The guy has not even played in 16 regular season games and is coming off a major hip surgery. Give it a rest. Some recievers take time to learn the offense and get their full concentration toward catching. He still may be thinking during his routes and when the ball is coming his way, which results in drops. Its not like he isnt open. College to the NFL is a major adjustment as their is much more responsiblilty in regards to having to read a defense, option routes based on defenses, etc. If you expected Randy Moss in the third round out of the gate, well you would be sorely mistaken. He is a solid move the chains guy right now who needs to work on his concentration catching the ball. He could very well turn out to be much more as he develops.

You can't make those types of excuses for Hankerson. He either belongs in the NFL or he doesn't.

Here's what bothers me so far with Hankerson: he has the body of a big, playmaking receiver, but does he have the heart? I have yet to see him out-fight someone to make a catch. I have yet to see proof that he wants it more than the defender. That's what playmaking receivers bring to the offense. Not just potential and measurables.

Agreed. Maybe it's because he's still recovering from the hip, I don't know, but he just doesn't have that toughness or heart to be a top flight WR.

Agreed. Maybe it's because he's still recovering from the hip, I don't know, but he just doesn't have that toughness or heart to be a top flight WR.

I see that too and it seems blatantly obvious.

When I was watching that Saints game, there was a bomb that Brees threw to Lance Moore. Moore turned around and caught that thing with ferocity. I don't think Moore is necessarily an elite or dynamic guy, but his heart is there and it shows.

I've seen players with hand problems during their rookie season recover to become reliable pro receivers. Jerry Rice dropped quite a few balls his first year. But I can't think of anyone who had hand problems in college become a great receiver in the pros. In college, the ball is thrown with a lot less velocity and guys like Hankerson are physical mismatches with most of the defenders - so it's possible to recover if you bobble the ball. In the pros, you can expect a shoulder in your ribs if you bobble the ball even a little bit. I just don't see how Hankerson will be anything but a third receiver at best. I don't see any Jerry Rice's behind him, so he'll get his chance.

I do worry about the effect of bad receivers on RG3's development though. He needs to have confidence in his receivers route running and ability to catch the ball. It would be better to have a receiver that isn't a physical mismatch, but runs precise routes and catches the ball. At least then he would know that if he throws accurately, he'll get a completion.

i'm not saying give up on the guy. I just have yet to see evidence that he can be a top receiver that scares defenses and that the QB feels he can depend on in the clutch. look at which of our receivers has scored the most TDs through the air so far this season: Moss. he also seems to be the guy RGIII tries to get the ball to when we need a clutch play. that tells me he's the guy who he feels like he can most rely on to make the play, some how, some way. it would be garcon if he wasn't hurt.

the problem with that guy being moss is he's getting old and he isn't even a starter!

yes, i like Hankerson. And i haven't given up on him. He just hasn't proven to be the top receiver you can build around. He may be an outstanding #2 or #3 option. And he may have more impact once the hip is healed. but he is not a guy that defences worry about "taking away" from the offense.

Does anyone even realize that he's leading us in yards and only 3 catches behind Morgan? I've seen way more crucial drops from Morgan. Hank is just making some young, mental mistakes. Give it some time.
That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that he's on the road to 700 yards for the season, whereas as Dallas, NY and Philadelphia will all likely have a 700 yd receiver by the end of this weekend. All the teams in the division have at least three players with more yards than Hankerson and Philadelphia and Dallas have played one less game. And 33 yo, second stringer, Moss has almost as many yards as Hankerson, and more receiving TDs than the rest of the team COMBINED. I'm just not at all impressed.

That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that he's on the road to 700 yards for the season, whereas as Dallas, NY and Philadelphia will all likely have a 700 yd receiver by the end of this weekend. All the teams in the division have at least three players with more yards than Hankerson and Philadelphia and Dallas have played one less game. And 33 yo, second stringer, Moss has almost as many yards as Hankerson, and more receiving TDs than the rest of the team COMBINED. I'm just not at all impressed.

...and how many of these players are 23 years old with less than a full season of game experience? The insane impatience with young players are the very reason we are in this mess. This is the very thing that causes draft picks to be dealt for "proven veterans."

For the love of God, give the kid a chance!

I think some posters are looking at entirely the wrong way and developing unreasonable expectations. He's never going to be that big bodied deep threat that can take over game because he doesn't have acceleration, leaping ability and he won't get you much yards after the catch. What he can be is a key third down guy because he knows how to establish position, is very good at reading zone covareges and has sneaky quickness when running routes and doesn't waste motion. If he can get his head straight and completely recover from his inury, we're looking at a WR who runs crosses, digs, slant and in routes very well and could be an important cog in a WR corps. Will he be what media and fans like to call a number one WR? Absolutely not.

...and how many of these players are 23 years old with less than a full season of game experience? The insane impatience with young players are the very reason we are in this mess. This is the very thing that causes draft picks to be dealt for "proven veterans."

For the love of God, give the kid a chance!

I respectfully disagree. First of all, nothing said on ES really affects the roster, so we didn't have anything to do with the mess. Second, I think incredible patience was shown with Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly by both ES and the coaching staff. But everything that caused them to drop in the draft turned out to be true, and caused them to fail in the NFL. Thomas was immature and raw, while Kelly was slow and handicapped by a degenerative knee condition. Even though ESers by and large afforded them rookie status for years, it turned out that both would be useless as NFL players.

That being said, I don't think he's a bust. He's playing about where you'd expect from a 3rd round receiver in his second year. Only a couple of WRs drafted behind him are playing significantly better. At this point, stats are very dependent upon what team drafted you.

My problem with Hankerson is that I see him bobble the ball too much, even if he catches it. That just won't work in the NFL.

It's not about stats, at all. Oldfan was making the point earlier in the thread, that if a player has natural talent you will see it right away, numbers be damned. There's no minimum amount of games or catches a player needs to be able to evaluate him. That is absolutely true and something that's lost on way too many people.

Hankerson doesn't have "it". He had enough to succeed in college, but his ceiling is maybe a #3 receiver in the NFL. He's basically a possession receiver who catches balls (sometimes) and gets tackled. A poor man's Jabar Gaffney.

You can't make those types of excuses for Hankerson. He either belongs in the NFL or he doesn't.

Why not? Have you ever tried running a route at full speed while reading a defense and deciding what the best route to run is and then catch a ball while worrying about getting hit by safties running full speed to crush you? Its no easy task. Some recievers never learn how to do it. I had a hard time doing it on the college level, I cant fathom how much more difficult it is on a professional level. It takes time to adjust. He is definitely an NFL reciever. You cant deny that. The question is whether he is a #1 type guy who can do more than just move the chains, or a #2 or 3 guy who can move the chains but not really expect much else from. A Gaffney type. Remember Roddy White? He didnt do much his first 2 seasons. 59 total catches and less than 1000 yards his first 2 years combined. Since then, he has had over 1,100 yards and 6 tds a season. How about Vincent Jackson who everyone wanted so bad. His first 3 years combined- 71 catches, 1,135 yards, 9 tds. Now he is over 1,000 every year with 6 or more touchdowns a year.

Over 13 games, which is all Hankerson has played in, he has 39 catches for 505 yards and a TD.

Calvin Johnsons first 16 games? 48 catches, 756 yards, 4 touchdowns

Larry Fitz- 58 catches 780 yards 8 touchdowns

Miles Austin- 5 catches 76 yards 0 touchdowns

Greg Jennings- 45 catches 642 yards 3 touchdowns

Jordy Nelson- 33 catches 366 yards 2 touchdowns

Brandon Marshall- 20 cathces 309 yards 2 touchdowns

Let Hankerson grow

Oh BTW, rookie QB who is running a lot in our run heavy offense....plays a roll in the amount of chances. As good as RG3 has played, he hasnt thrown it all too much.

It's not about stats, at all. Oldfan was making the point earlier in the thread, that if a player has natural talent you will see it right away, numbers be damned. There's no minimum amount of games or catches a player needs to be able to evaluate him. That is absolutely true and something that's lost on way too many people.

Hankerson doesn't have "it". He had enough to succeed in college, but his ceiling is maybe a #3 receiver in the NFL. He's basically a possession receiver who catches balls (sometimes) and gets tackled. A poor man's Jabar Gaffney.

I completely disagree. Hankerson does have "it", and he's at least a #2. He is smooth running routes, can get in and out of breaks easily, and the only thing really holding him back is his drops, which is something that can be improved.

Archived