Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

Hankerson came out of Miami as a highly touted WR. I saw a video of him catching balls and they said that he rarely dropped any balls. So what happened? He became a Redskin and he turned into the second coming of Rod Gardner? Don't give me this crap about the pre catch becoming second nature. Hankerson needs to have better concentration and stop trying to run before he catches the ball. I think Hankerson will be a good WR for us but he is a starter and was from the beginning.

He struggled with drops early in his Miami career, but corrected the problem as he got older. I fully expect him to do the same here. He and Morgan were bright spots today, in a day of very few.

I honestly feel if we cut him, he may get picked up but he wouldn't see much time on the field. Very easy to post this watching Julio and Roddy. He just doesn't have it, he's not athletic enough to be an NFL wr....nothing to do with development. It's wishful thinking that he will be that Big wr that most teams have and they we continue to look for.

I honestly feel if we cut him, he may get picked up but he wouldn't see much time on the field. Very easy to post this watching Julio and Roddy. He just doesn't have it, he's not athletic enough to be an NFL wr....nothing to do with development. It's wishful thinking that he will be that Big wr that most teams have and they we continue to look for.

Unfair to compare him to beasts like Jones and White but I see your point. Hank is just not fluid. He's so clunky when he runs, it's like he's dragging 50 lbs. or something. You'll never see him making those body twisting stretch out type catches.

Roddy and Julio are essentially two #1 receivers. Comparing Hankerson to them is certainly not going to favor him. He's not on that level.

---------- Post added November-4th-2012 at 09:12 PM ----------

I have more of an issue with his effort...seems to have the Haynesworth disease sometimes with just not giving 100% and pushing himself to make a play. I think that is why RGIII is hesitant sometimes to go his way.

I think he leads the team in targets.

I have more of an issue with his effort...seems to have the Haynesworth disease sometimes with just not giving 100% and pushing himself to make a play. I think that is why RGIII is hesitant sometimes to go his way.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. He is obviously very talented. I remember one play in particular today where it seemed like he could have put a little more effort and gained another 5 yards. He is a great player but I wish he would put forth a little more effort.

Hankerson seems to be playing scared right now. I don't know if it is the injuries or what, but dude isn't all there.

I wouldn't get rid of him though,. hopefully he gets it together. We are going to need him.

I stand by what I said last week. Dude is playing like he is terrified. He doesn't have alligator arms like Todd Pinkston, but he just seems to not be all there.

I would agree that to me it looks more like he is playing either afraid or not to get hurt as opposed to just Haynesworthing it. Definately looks (on TV) that he is just not completing routes, not elevating and not running really hard. Head on a swivel. I do not support cutting him loose, but needs to get some confidence. At Miami and in camp here he has had the dropsies at times, but the playing scared thing is odd.

Reading this thread, I thought to myself Hank just doesn't have it, seems very awkward running deep routs, he has close to zero chance catching a deep ball with decent coverage. I mean he almost dropped the one he actually caught, wide open of course. The above quote sums it up perfectly. Well said sir!

Leonard Hankerson is our second leading receiver. Griffin isn't shying away from him.

He is also coming off a tear in his hip that bothered him through training camp. Of course he doesn't look fluid or explosive. How many people here have ran after a hip injury? It's extremely difficult and causes a lot of other muscular imbalances.

Obviously the competition is different at the NFL level so I'm not expecting any front flips but the natural athleticism is clearly there. If you want to question if/when he will recover from his hip injury that is perfectly valid. To pretend he was never athletic enough to begin with is silly.

The QB position is probably an exception, especially for a 1st round pick. How much time do you give a 3rd round WR?

Add: Nor am I saying cut him. I'm just saying he hasn't lived up to expectations.

What expectations? He was a 3rd round pick, got hurt, and is currently leading our team in receptions (kind of by default). Take a look at Roddy White's 1st 2 years -- as well as a host of other receivers. Give him sometime. Needless to say, I am still high on Hank.

Seems that people are pointing out things on a week to week basis pointing to the contrary. I know he is struggling. I also know I sat in the same seats again this week and witnessed with my own eyes him running free down the field on multiple occasions, one specifically in the end zone. He's not playing with much confidence right now but its like people suddenly forgot how serious his hip injury was. Right now he physically is not what he will be as he reaches his mid twenties. I think his recovery is effecting every part of his game down to the catch because believe it or not, he was who stretched the field at Miami and hes not getting the seperation. I'd expect to see what hes capable of producing year 3. This is not me saying he will become an elite WR or a hall of famer its me saying I think he is more than capable of becoming a homegrown productive WR.

Even in his college highlights, he immediately goes down after making any catch in the middle.

In a lot of those highlights he is getting blasted as soon as he catches it. It would be great if he broke the tackle and ran another 60+ yards but that's not his game. Not every player is going to be perfect. The point is that he has a skillset that can be valuable to this team.

Nope. Sorry, but Hankerson can do everything but catch.

I watch other teams get receivers much lower in the draft who are twice as good as Hankerson. They contribute to their teams success, immediately.

Hankerson is just another in a long line of "Just You Wait...."

Hank is not real strong fighting for yards after the catch. He has size and speed, and does make for a big target. I am just not sure he is built to be a full time #1 go to WR. He plays... fragile to me, for lack of a better word. Is he doing good getting off press coverage?

Not that we can really afford the luxury to save him for it, but Hank seems to have potential to be a decent red zone receiver. I think he needs to bulk up, drink his protein shakes, to gain confidence. At least Iron Mike is not calling those slants of late for Hank where we see our WR's diving right into the head hunter FS's. That is not his comfort zone.

I wonder if he is truly 100 percent? And I wonder why nobody ever asks in mikes press conferences?

I mean, knee surgery is always two years. Players come back the next year but they are never the same until year two. Pretty major hip surgery that Hankerson had, wondering of there are still effects that we don't know of

I feel like Hank is certainly playing gingerly. Look how long Jammal has been battling the same injury.

Even last year though, watching Hank work through his drops issue. I had suspected he was afraid to get popped, or injured. He may largely detest physical contact.

How hard is it to catch a football? Eventually, it becomes all mental. He was hearing foot steps, even when there weren't any, was my theory of what he had so many drops.

I am thrilled Mike is calling favorable patterns for him this year, and it helps him not worry about getting clobbered, and with it, drops.

Archived