Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

You mentioned Owens, but it isn't as though Owens took over games during his first 16 games of experience. In fact, for their first year or so together people thought that JJ Stokes was going to develop into the stud.

Hankerson actually compares favorably to Owens so far. In his first 16 games, Owens had 35 catches for 520 yards. In 12 games Hankerson has 36 catches for 460 yards. I don't think preaching patience is a bad thing here.

To be fair, Owens rookie year, they had Jerry Rice, JJ Stokes and Ifianyi Owazekue already on the roster, plus Brent Jones in his prime. Owens wasn't asked to be the main guy. I know Hank isn't either, but with our injuries at WR, I'd like to see him step up more. He's shown flashes this year and I'm not ready to throw him out. My mom is though. She wanted to get rid of him Sunday after the drop.

...I guess the boards just reflect the transient, instant gratification society that is modern day life in 2012; but the lack of patience across the spectrum for what we're trying to do is causing folk to lose all sense of perspective and rationality at an alarming rate....
Or.... it could be that others see no reason to be patient because they have a different opinion on the player.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 09:29 AM ----------

He has potential but damn catching the ball is a wideout's primary job.
Since the game was invented, players who combine speed and size have been thought to have potential even when they can't play football worth a lick.

I'm starting to think we should just never draft wide receivers for all the "THESE GUYS WILL NEVER BE ANYTHING SPECIAL!" talk. Because what's even the point? If they're not Pro Bowlers right away, why even keep them around?

I think it's frustrating to Redskin fans (including me) to see the Giants pick Nicks in the draft and he produces right away, pick up Cruz from the trash heap and he produces right away, the Eagles draft Jackson and Maclin and they produce right away, the Cowboys get Bryant and he produces (I'll admit he's up and down, but has some spectacular plays) and pick up Austin as an UDFA and he produces. Meanwhile at the ranch in Landover, we draft Kelly and Thomas and they bust, we draft Hankerson and he's been slow to develop along with Robinson.

IA very good Punt returner had this same problem, the dropsies, and his wife told him something very simple. Just catch the football hon, then do your thing. Those simple words from his wife fixed his problem and he became one of the best kick returners in football. Can anyone here guess who this man is? Simple hint, he played for the St. Louis Cardinals in the early 80s.

Terry Metcalf

I think it's frustrating to Redskin fans (including me) to see the Giants pick Nicks in the draft and he produces right away, pick up Cruz from the trash heap and he produces right away, the Eagles draft Jackson and Maclin and they produce right away, the Cowboys get Bryant and he produces (I'll admit he's up and down, but has some spectacular plays) and pick up Austin as an UDFA and he produces. Meanwhile at the ranch in Landover, we draft Kelly and Thomas and they bust, we draft Hankerson and he's been slow to develop along with Robinson.

It goes back a lot farther than Kelly and Thomas even. The last time we drafted a wide receiver who had a 1,000 yard season for us was Rod Gardner. And he fell off the face of the Earth right after that season.

And yeah, its frustrating to watch every other team in the division, and pretty much around the league, draft good talent while we have to find second-tier free agents to lead our wide receiving unit.

To be fair, Owens rookie year, they had Jerry Rice, JJ Stokes and Ifianyi Owazekue already on the roster, plus Brent Jones in his prime. Owens wasn't asked to be the main guy. I know Hank isn't either, but with our injuries at WR, I'd like to see him step up more. He's shown flashes this year and I'm not ready to throw him out. My mom is though. She wanted to get rid of him Sunday after the drop.

The flipside of that is we don't know if Owens would have produced in his rookie year had the guys in front of him on the roster been injured, and we'll never know.

I see potential in Hankerson, Robinson and Paul, but I don't see any of them becoming number 1 at their positions. Right now, the one I'm most concerned about is Robinson because he's almost disappeared from view, and he's the speed guy we need. The other two look like guys who are thinking too much about what they're supposed to be doing instead of just doing it, so the question for them is whether they can make that step to being in the right place automatically.

Hanks issue is with mechanics. Four aspects to a catch: hands/eyes, extension, catch and secure. He seems to take his eyes off the ball entirely too early and sometimes I don't think he extends well enough. His issue is certainly not his ability to stem or get open, but he could improve his route running. He's not a bad football player by any stretch of the mind, but he's not where he needs to be either. He's a guy I think we should continue to see what he has and give him until the end of his rookie deal.

Hanks issue is with mechanics. Four aspects to a catch: hands/eyes, extension, catch and secure. He seems to take his eyes off the ball entirely too early and sometimes I don't think he extends well enough. His issue is certainly not his ability to stem or get open, but he could improve his route running. He's not a bad football player by any stretch of the mind, but he's not where he needs to be either. He's a guy I think we should continue to see what he has and give him until the end of his rookie deal.
How about his natural talent for the position? How do you see that?

How about his natural talent for the position? How do you see that?

I think he's a talented enough guy. I don't think he's what a lot of people wanted him to be: a top tier receiver. He gets in and out of his breaks a little slow, but he's got a little more speed than people give him credit for. I don't think he moves great laterally.

His hands have been a question mark since his Miami days. He does a good job of getting open even though his routes are a little sloppy because he sells other routes well. But he needs to master all four elements of the catch. That's his weakest aspect of his game and it always has been.

It goes back a lot farther than Kelly and Thomas even. The last time we drafted a wide receiver who had a 1,000 yard season for us was Rod Gardner. And he fell off the face of the Earth right after that season.

And yeah, its frustrating to watch every other team in the division, and pretty much around the league, draft good talent while we have to find second-tier free agents to lead our wide receiving unit.

Yeah, going back to Rod Gardner and Michael Westbrook really makes it worse.

The flipside of that is we don't know if Owens would have produced in his rookie year had the guys in front of him on the roster been injured, and we'll never know.

I see potential in Hankerson, Robinson and Paul, but I don't see any of them becoming number 1 at their positions. Right now, the one I'm most concerned about is Robinson because he's almost disappeared from view, and he's the speed guy we need. The other two look like guys who are thinking too much about what they're supposed to be doing instead of just doing it, so the question for them is whether they can make that step to being in the right place automatically.

True, we'll never know about Owens. I'm still not sure Robinson should be developing at Garcon's position. I'd like him to develop in Santana's role in the slot. I think he'd be much more effective there with his speed and possibly facing the other team's 3rd DB.

I'm still not sure Robinson should be developing at Garcon's position. I'd like him to develop in Santana's role on the slot. I think he'd be much more effective there with his speed and possibly facing the other team's 3rd DB.

Agree 100% his skillset and size are much better suited running in the slot against 3DB and LB than it is on the outside. He can still motion out and go deep like Moss does to blow the top off defenses. I think Robinson can be a big player in this offense if handled correctly.

When I hear that a WR has always had a problem with drops, you might just as well stop right there. If he doesn't have a natural talent to snag a football, he doesn't have the talent to play the position at a pro level. Exception: some drops are caused by poor technique. They usually happen on crossing patterns. They can be prevented.

I don't care how fast he runs the 40 either. I watch his feet and I want to see quickness, nifty, slick. Hank doesn't have them

Body control leaping for a pass, a good NFL receiver has to have it. I don't see it in Hankerson.

I'd argue he drops the ball due to poor technique, as I alluded to earlier.

I think he's a talented enough guy. I don't think he's what a lot of people wanted him to be: a top tier receiver. He gets in and out of his breaks a little slow, but he's got a little more speed than people give him credit for. I don't think he moves great laterally.

His hands have been a question mark since his Miami days. He does a good job of getting open even though his routes are a little sloppy because he sells other routes well. But he needs to master all four elements of the catch. That's his weakest aspect of his game and it always has been.

When I hear that a WR has always had a problem with drops, you might just as well stop right there. If he doesn't have a natural talent to snag a football, he doesn't have the talent to play the position at a pro level. Exception: some drops are caused by poor technique. They usually happen on crossing patterns. They can be prevented.

I don't care how fast he runs the 40 either. I watch his feet and I want to see quickness, nifty, slick. Hank doesn't have them

Body control leaping for a pass, a good NFL receiver has to have it. I don't see it in Hankerson.

Patience? Patience? Seriously? Let us remind some people of their "patience" for wide receivers named Malcomb Kelly, and Devin Thomas... (and yes, I added the B)... You are a WR, you catch the ball... that has been the knock on him BEFORE the draft!! "Oh, his hands will come" Are you kidding me?

"False start penalties on the line.... yep.

Not reaching for the first down markers when he's close to it......Uhhhhh yep.

Thinking about running with the ball before catching it......mmmm hmmmm.

Not paying attention when he's thrown the ball" You sir are correct!

add, not running through the catch on deep passes.. i'm not ready to give up on him just yet. But the criticisms are valid. He needs to get his act together!

So, it's excusable that Owens couldn't step up to become the main target over Stokes and Owazekue but it's not excusable for Hankerson to not supplant Moss and Morgan? I just find it funny how much we've wanted a youth infusion on this team and now don't have the patience to live through the development. Not every rookie (especially mid-rounders) can step right in and dominate. Hankerson is essentially starting the last quarter of his rookie year if you go by game experience.

So, it's excusable that Owens couldn't step up to become the main target over Stokes and Owazekue but it's not excusable for Hankerson to not supplant Moss and Morgan? I just find it funny how much we've wanted a youth infusion on this team and now don't have the patience to live through the development. Not every rookie (especially mid-rounders) can step right in and dominate. Hankerson is essentially starting the last quarter of his rookie year if you go by game experience.

I never said it was inexcusable that he hasn't stepped up, I said I'd like to "see him step up." I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Simma down now, simma down. :ols:

I never said it was inexcusable that he hasn't stepped up, I said I'd like to "see him step up." I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Simma down now, simma down. :ols:

Not fired up...I just don't really see any difference in the situations. Statistically he's going to blow Owens out of the water for a rookie season unless he gets hurt. And although Owens had Rice to compete with for catches, the other two guys aren't on anyone's radar. We have more targets taking looks away from Hankerson (though admittedly no one who will get the looks that Rice did). I think by the end of the season, we will see that Hankerson "stepped up" more than Owens did in year 1.

And, to be clear, I don't expect him to approach TO's career...I only extended the comparison when someone else brought him up. I think Hankerson will make a very good starting WR for a while. To me in 2012, that is a team's top-3 WR. I don't see any reason that he can't eventually be our #2/3 option along with Garcon and Robinson (once Moss is done).

Archived