Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

Im not a WR expert, I'm not going to sit up here and pretend to be. I do coach WR's at the high school level and have attended several clinics put on by area college coaches on how to best coach wide receivers. The one thing that stood out to me was something Ralph Friedgen said. You work on finishing catches by making sure the pre catch aspects of being a WR are second nature. When I look at Hankerson, he effortlessly stems defensive backs. There is very little drift to his routes. He moves in and out of breaks very well for his size and there have been plays this season where his ability to get deep have given the skins opportunities to stretch the lid of the linebacker/safety zone. He sets up his double moves well and also uses his body surprisingly well to create space. The drops look bad right now, judging RG3's deep ball has been a work in progress but I simply am trying to get people to see.... he isnt that far away. He just turned 24, and is coming off a season ending injury. He will continue to have drops, he will continue to frustrate you but the "pre catch" ability is there and stellar. Give him time, let him grow. When things slow down mentally for him he is going to be a force. Just hope its here and no where else.

This reminds me of an article I read a few years back about how QBs are given about 3 years to blossom, but WRs are expected to produce right away, and why they should be given around 3 years also. It had a few examples to back it up, and why WRs picked in the later rounds were doing so well because they were given time and not expected to produce immediately. I'll admit, I lost site of that until now. I'll also add that there were a few articles when Hankerson was drafted about his work ethic. They talked about how in college he wasn't very good at something, did a lot of extra things over the off season, and ended up breaking a few Miami records. So I'll give him last off season to work hard at getting healthy. hopefully this one is dedicated to correcting other things. Good post man, I'll give him a little more time (I said that like I have the power to cut him anyway lol).

I am hoping Hank becomes the receiver he has the promise to be... BUT, I do not care if he runs PERFECT routes, if he can't catch then he is not dependable. Keep him on the roster and if a good replacement comes along, then put him on the bench until he actually wants to play the position. I am not a hater, just a realist. I am patient, but when a player is just not performing, then something must be done.

I really wanted Hank to work out and after the game I said he needed to go. Overreaction on my part, but he has to show some signs of improvement. Catching the ball is fundamental for a WR. I could see having to work on routes, seperation... but CATCHING the ball has to be done and IMHO cant be something you wait for him to figure out how to do. The year is only half way over so maybe he figures it out. I will say he hasnt had much live game time because of the injury. I just watched Randy Moss make a sick move to score a TD, and he is 114 years old! We cant expect the same from Hank?

This reminds me of an article I read a few years back about how QBs are given about 3 years to blossom, but WRs are expected to produce right away, and why they should be given around 3 years also. It had a few examples to back it up, and why WRs picked in the later rounds were doing so well because they were given time and not expected to produce immediately. I'll admit, I lost site of that until now. I'll also add that there were a few articles when Hankerson was drafted about his work ethic. They talked about how in college he wasn't very good at something, did a lot of extra things over the off season, and ended up breaking a few Miami records. So I'll give him last off season to work hard at getting healthy. hopefully this one is dedicated to correcting other things. Good post man, I'll give him a little more time (I said that like I have the power to cut him anyway lol).

Hank went to Miami highly touted, but struggled to stay on the field, mainly for the reasons people are dinging; drops and what not.

After his sophomore season a family friend put him in contact with Mark Duper, who worked with him. Hank can back---in his third year---and absolutely exploded, and then broke records set by Michael Irvin.

So that's why I think he's worth waiting for. He needs to play better, but he's nowhere near as awful as people pretend.

The issue isn't just the drops though. There is a reason that a WR like Terrell Owens was forgiven for his drops, and he had quite a few. It was because of his ability to straight up take over games, regardless of being double-covered.

There is always a trade off with top tier talent that you excuse if the consistent play is shown.

The issue I have with Hankerson is that he is looking like a possession WR when all is said and done, and something a possession WR is counted on for is CATCHING THE BALL.

If Hankerson was at the level of the elite WRs in the NFL, but also had occasional drops, then I don't think we would have a big problem with it, the problem is he isn't.

I agree that Hankerson will not be a T.O. or Vincent Jackson but Hankerson will be a good #2 in time. I think everyone must understand this is Hank's 7th game starting and he is a rookie damn near himself so I definitely will give Hank a pass for yesterday along with the rest of the receivers.

I really hope he develops into a solid receiver, but that is up to him. I think he is probably one of our worst deep ball threats because he really seems to have problems with that.

He had a big pass he dropped in the giants game where he short armed the pass where even Aikman made the comment that he should have extended himself. It looked very catchable. He also had a pass in the Rams game where he almost dropped it and if he had anybody on him he would have probably dropped it.

In the short game he has been a very good go to guy, which I can enjoy, and I just would really like to see him become a big play guy.

Allow me to clarify my reply on the first page of this thread. I didn't mean to say the verdict is out on Hankerson. The sample size is still too small one way or another. He might still develop into something great.

I was just commenting on what we've seen SO FAR. So far what I have seen is someone who doesn't appear to be destined to be a #1 WR, and once you have been shown to not be a "playmaker" you better have the other intangibles to make your career continue.

The question I am posing, is whether or not Hankerson's other attributes & intangibles are enough to overcome the fact that he seems to drop a lot of passes that are right in his hands.

Santana Moss, in his prime, is an example of a WR that you could bite your tongue on the drops, because for the most part he was consistently producing. That is the difference. When you are only being targeted 3-4 times a game, those drops (especially for sure TDs) will be magnified, and examined, then cross examined. That is just the fact of being a #2 or #3 WR in this league. You won't get the benefit of the doubt!

Everyone has to chill with the "bust" stuff. He was 4th round pick.

I personally think he has ceiling and probably will end up being a Jason Avant #3 WR possession type guy but nothing spectacular like everyone was overhyping him to be.

I will be honest and say I expected him to show a tad bit more. He needs a killer instinct desperately though

I love what Leonard Hankerson did during his college playing days. He made spectacular catches,and controlled reckless abandon. He played fearlessly. Unfortunately, after his injury, he just hasn't been the same player.

We need to get someone like Randy Moss during his younger days.

False start penalties on the line

Not reaching for the first down markers when he's close to it

Thinking about running with the ball before catching it

Not paying attention when he's thrown the ball

Admittedly, I haven't watched every snap, so I can't speak completely accurately, but I haven't seen any false starts on Hank.

He actually does a very good job of reaching the first down marker. I remember at least three or four times when he either ran his route one yard past the sticks on 3rd or 4th down to convert (something a good receiver does) or where he catches the ball and makes it just past the marker before getting tackled.

That's something that happens to every receiver, and isn't something I would classify as "low IQ". Everyone wants to make a play and get YAC, sometimes they just peek a little early. Easily fixable.

This is a problem, but it is explainable because he is young. Each play has primary and secondary receivers, and then even third or fourth reads. If Hank is the third or fourth read on a play, he might not be expecting to be looked at. Again, this is definitely a problem, but experience should eliminate these instances.

I love what Leonard Hankerson did during his college playing days. He made spectacular catches,and controlled reckless abandon. He played fearlessly. Unfortunately, after his injury, he just hasn't been the same player.

We need to get someone like Randy Moss during his younger days.

Haha if it were only that easy, nobody around like that.

What bothers me about Hank is the consistent lack of fire. It looks like he's just going thru the motions a lot of the time. Not diving on that deep ball last week, sliding and not reaching for the 1st down, etc. He doesn't have that drive.

But I'm willing to keep playing him. You have to commit to developing young players if you ever want to reap your draft pick rewards. Not every rookie will bust out right away like Alfred Morris.

I honestly believe he's thinking too much. That's what seems to look like "lacking fire or emotion" on tape. He's going through too much in his head and not just playing naturally, yet. That's what I think. I don't know if he's thinking about his hip or if it's his assignments/routes or both. If that's the case, we may see him really improve as the season goes on.

Hankerson doesn't have the drive to be great. You can see it already. But dont take my word for it , just watch RG3. When Griff needs a crucial play he goes to Moss, because he can't trust Leonard to make the play. It's completely and utterly dissappointing. Hank doesn't sell out for balls, he has issues with his hands, and he cant get separation from receivers. I'm sorry, but you can be patient until he's in year 13, it wont matter. He is not the one!

I like Hankerson and am pleased with his contributions in year 2 of his career. WRs usually do take 3 years to really get into gear, especially a 3rd round pick.

I agree with you. And people need to remember that for all intents and purposes this is Hank's rookie year.

Everyone needs to keep that in mind when critiquing him.

Hankerson doesn't have the drive to be great. You can see it already. But dont take my word for it , just watch RG3. When Griff needs a crucial play he goes to Moss, because he can't trust Leonard to make the play.

...Or maybe it's just because Santana Moss is open.

I like Hankerson and am pleased with his contributions in year 2 of his career. WRs usually do take 3 years to really get into gear, especially a 3rd round pick.

I think your confusing what contributions you should be looking for in year 2.

For example:

-Vincent Jackson took a few years to become elite, but in the first years he showed that he could out jump any defender!

-Roddy White took a few years to develop, but he showed in the early years that he could create separation and get wide open ( He just couldnt catch the ball)..lol

- Santana Moss took a few years before he became great but in his early years he proved that he could return punts for TDs

Hankerson looks like Limas Sweed.. All the talent and potential but just doesn't have the drive to become a great NFL player. He'll be out of the league soon.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 01:10 AM ----------

And maybe its because Hankerson isn't open!

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 01:12 AM ----------

And maybe its because Hankerson isn't open!

Archived