Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

If this guy wasnt on the roster right now you would not be excited to bring him here.

I cringe when the ball is thrown to him. Aldrick too. None of thes guys fight for the football or lay out when they have to

I hope the skins make a trade for dwayne bowe. Hes better than garcon and if pierre ever does make it back that gives the redskins a formidable WR corps. One that would be comparable to or perhaps marginally better than nicks/cruz tandem.

If this guy wasnt on the roster right now you would not be excited to bring him here.

I cringe when the ball is thrown to him. Aldrick too. None of thes guys fight for the football or lay out when they have to .

Aldrick tried to lay out for that deep ball but his hand was getting grabbed by the corner.

I'm starting to think we should just never draft wide receivers for all the "THESE GUYS WILL NEVER BE ANYTHING SPECIAL!" talk. Because what's even the point? If they're not Pro Bowlers right away, why even keep them around?

Clearly the best way to get talent is by trading draft picks when we're working without first round picks. Because that's worked so well in the past...

I'm not seeing the athleticism. He is slow out of his breaks. He runs like Donny Warren on reverses

Hank is not an especially quick receiver (i.e., Victor Cruz) but he can get separation and does, in fact, do a better job of that than Josh Morgan. He does have good speed, though.

Frankly, anyone labeling him as slow or lazy has no idea what they're talking about. He shows well enough on the game tape athletically and we have a head coach who simply does not tolerate laziness. He would be ****-canned in a heartbeat if he wasn't working hard and, IIRC, he had a good reputation for putting in the work in college.

He has a concentration problem that interferes with his ability to haul in the ball, especially when under duress. If he can figure that out (admittedly a big if) he could be a very strong NFL receiver.

Hankerson doesn't have the drive to be great. You can see it already. But dont take my word for it , just watch RG3. When Griff needs a crucial play he goes to Moss, because he can't trust Leonard to make the play. It's completely and utterly dissappointing. Hank doesn't sell out for balls, he has issues with his hands, and he cant get separation from receivers. I'm sorry, but you can be patient until he's in year 13, it wont matter. He is not the one!

I haven't yet seen Griff shy from throwing Hank the ball when Hank gets open, even when we need a big 3rd down conversion.

Hankerson doesn't have the drive to be great. You can see it already. But dont take my word for it , just watch RG3. When Griff needs a crucial play he goes to Moss, because he can't trust Leonard to make the play. It's completely and utterly dissappointing. Hank doesn't sell out for balls, he has issues with his hands, and he cant get separation from receivers. I'm sorry, but you can be patient until he's in year 13, it wont matter. He is not the one!

What in the hell have you been watching? I honestly don't know

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 03:04 AM ----------

Typical!! The fan base hate for our own players.The emotions of losing sometimes taints our vision,a we all play the blame game. Honestly we thought Hank was going to be our Redskin hero this year,and this is why people are so mad at Hank85..Notice how no one has made mention about Briscoe???? He has dropped 90% of the passes thrown to him,and in the STL game he was in on a third down situation and ran the wrong route and damn near made RGIII throw a INT. Briscoe dropped sure TD's in back to back games but nobody expected him to be our "hero" so nobody is really paying any attention to his struggles. Now the new thing is that Garcon is a bust ...Buahahahah!!!

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 03:05 AM ----------

Typical!! The fan base hate for our own players.The emotions of losing sometimes taints our vision,a we all play the blame game. Honestly we thought Hank was going to be our Redskin hero this year,and this is why people are so mad at Hank85..Notice how no one has made mention about Briscoe???? He has dropped 90% of the passes thrown to him,and in the STL game he was in on a third down situation and ran the wrong route and damn near made RGIII throw a INT. Briscoe dropped sure TD's in back to back games but nobody expected him to be our "hero" so nobody is really paying any attention to his struggles. Now the new thing is that Garcon is a bust ...Buahahahah!!!

This reminds me of an article I read a few years back about how QBs are given about 3 years to blossom, but WRs are expected to produce right away, and why they should be given around 3 years also. It had a few examples to back it up, and why WRs picked in the later rounds were doing so well because they were given time and not expected to produce immediately. I'll admit, I lost site of that until now. I'll also add that there were a few articles when Hankerson was drafted about his work ethic. They talked about how in college he wasn't very good at something, did a lot of extra things over the off season, and ended up breaking a few Miami records. So I'll give him last off season to work hard at getting healthy. hopefully this one is dedicated to correcting other things.

Good points.

Mike Wallace was brought into Pittsburgh to fill in Nate Washington's role. Then Santonio Holmes was dumped and he became a number #1. Hankerson is no Mike Wallace, but he still could turn into something useful for us.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 03:14 AM ----------

Everyone has to chill with the "bust" stuff. He was 4th round pick.

I personally think he has ceiling and probably will end up being a Jason Avant #3 WR possession type guy but nothing spectacular like everyone was overhyping him to be.

I will be honest and say I expected him to show a tad bit more. He needs a killer instinct desperately though

Hankerson will not be a possession guy. If he becomes a #3, it will be of the "boom sporadically" type of #3 who will burn people once in a while.

There is a slight difference between perception and reality . Everyone thinks Hankerson has a terrible time with drops - that pass against the Steelers was a bad drop ... but KFFL compile these stats number of targets and the number of receptions .

http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/index.php

What is odd is Hankerson and Moss have both been targeted 37 times - and they both have 23 receptions 62.2% catch rate Moss has 15 1st downs Hankerson has 13 Moss is averaging 13.5 yards per catch Hankerson 12.7 - Both are responsible for a long reception TD . In the Tampa Game Hankerson had 11 targets and caught 7 of them for 54 yards - Moss has his most target this week (9) but only managed to catch 4 of them .

Moss is in his 12th season - Hankerson has started 12 games .

You people wanting to cut him because after 12 games need a reality check ..

I hope the skins make a trade for dwayne bowe.

with what cap space? he is making 9 mil this year, we don't have that kind of space in our cap, and we aren't going to be able to sign him for 3 mil/yr either. it ain't going to happen. if anything we are going to keep what we got, then spend what little money we have on defense in the offseason, probably 50/50 offense/defense in the draft.

Agreed. What people need to take into account is how he got that open. He ran a great route. He does every game. Brandon Marshall, Nicks, Roddy White all had struggles with judging deep balls and coming down with catches to start out. WR's learn over time. There are phenoms that are exception to the rule but a majority of productive wide receivers have to fail and have to struggle before blossoming. He is a third round pick, very young at that, and coming back from an injury that effects every aspect of playing WR. I think by the time he is 26, he will truly be a force.

A few years back the thought was ALWAYS it took a WR 2-3 years to fully develop, which is why some of us had patience with devin and malcolm. Then they started popping out and producing right away. You make a great reference to Roddy White, who was absolute trash for 1-2 years. Hankerson will be just fine.

There is a slight difference between perception and reality . Everyone thinks Hankerson has a terrible time with drops - that pass against the Steelers was a bad drop ... but KFFL compile these stats number of targets and the number of receptions.

most people on this board don't know crap. 3rd WRs don't join the NFL and become stars instantly. It just seems the majority of this board thinks Victor Cruz's and Tom Brady's are the norm, but they aren't.

with what cap space? he is making 9 mil this year, we don't have that kind of space in our cap, and we aren't going to be able to sign him for 3 mil/yr either. it ain't going to happen. if anything we are going to keep what we got, then spend what little money we have on defense in the offseason, probably 50/50 offense/defense in the draft.

Unless Bowe is playing safety, cornerback, or a stud sacking defensive end in a three four defense the Skins better not make a trade for him.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 08:05 AM ----------

most people on this board don't know crap. 3rd WRs don't join the NFL and become stars instantly. It just seems the majority of this board thinks Victor Cruz's and Tom Brady's are the norm, but they aren't.

Victor Cruz was on the verge of being cut so people need to realize that also, I agree with you totally.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 08:08 AM ----------

Victor Cruz was on the verge of being cut so people need to realize that also, I agree with you totally.

So true.

If I was a mod, the first thing I would do is ban anyone who started a thread or a post complaining about Snyder's impatience. :ols:

If he has any impatience for things on this team, it doesn't hold a candle to the impatient junk that is written here. :ols:

Orakpo in his first year didn't play like Lawerence Taylor in his prime, so cut him. :rolleyes:

Trent Williams in his first year didn't play like Tony Boseli in his prime, so cut him. :rolleyes:

Hankerson has just seven starts, but he isn't playing like Terrell Owens in his prime, so cut him. :rolleyes:

It's amazing to me how folks on this board for YEARS lamented that we needed to stop going after high priced free agents, and draft young players and develop them.

Now the Redskins are doing that in large numbers, but these same fans aren't going to show the patience to let them develop. :doh: And are screaming for us to go get a high-priced free agent (like Bowe). :doh: :doh:

It's sad when you think about it.

Folks also need to stop the nonsense that Hankerson is lazy and uninterested. :rolleyes: Does anyone believe that a hard-nosed coach like Shanahan would put up with that nonsense on the field? He didn't with McNabb, and darn sure wouldn't with a young WR, either.

Give Hankerson some time before you pass judgement.

I will not compare this guy to Devin Thomas or Kelly because he gets open down field, we seen this many times and wow he was wide open on that dropped TD pass. Maybe he needs glasses and that could be true, or maybe he needs to just settle down on the field and worry about catching the ball 1st.

A very good Punt returner had this same problem, the dropsies, and his wife told him something very simple. Just catch the football hon, then do your thing. Those simple words from his wife fixed his problem and he became one of the best kick returners in football. Can anyone here guess who this man is? Simple hint, he played for the St. Louis Cardinals in the early 80s.

I am going to be patient, but I just don't see Hank developing into a star. He doesn't have the great hands you'd expect to see from a guy who lacks explosiveness. Is it just me or does he look like he's moving in slow motion? I'm not talking about how fast he is running in a straight line. I'm talking about how he moves when changing direction, trying to juke, etc.

Frankly, I don't need a lecture from anybody about patience.
Agreed.

I see a great, coachable kid who has worked very hard on his game. I would love to be wrong about him, but my first impression in August of last year was that he looked like Tarzan and played like Jane. I've seen nothing since to change my mind. He just does not have enough natural talent to play his position at the NFL level.

So true.

Hankerson has just seven starts, but he isn't playing like Terrell Owens in his prime, so cut him. :rolleyes:

Give Hankerson some time before you pass judgement.

Hankerson has had HUGE drops. PLURAL. He's a WR. Second season. ???

I can guarantee my niece could have caught that drop. No excuse.

Am I missing something?

I am going to be patient, but I just don't see Hank developing into a star. He doesn't have the great hands you'd expect to see from a guy who lacks explosiveness. Is it just me or does he look like he's moving in slow motion? I'm not talking about how fast he is running in a straight line. I'm talking about how he moves when changing direction, trying to juke, etc.

Does he need to be a star to be a productive member of the WR core in the future?

Are folks here insisting that Hankerson be elite or gone, or can he be just solid?

Am I missing something?

2nd year player who's in effect in his rookie season as a pro. He's had a mere 12 games, and 7 starts, Not to mention that rookie season was curtailed first by the CBA B/S that cost him and every other young guy a full off-season with their teams. And then a pretty serious injury that shut it down by week 10.

The drop last Sunday was a complete lack of concentration. Not condoning it by any means as it cost us a sure fire TD. But that ***** gona' happen with such a young, inexperienced player at this level. That's not an excuse. That's just the way it is.

Why so many are so willing to give up on a guy as raw as a pro as he is, as listed above; and one who could well of been a first round pick in most years after setting Miami records in a great senior year is beyond me.

If he's still having these problems this time next year, then you'd have a case. But darn, cut a young man some slack and allow him to develop to that point at least as a pro.

Hail.

Am I missing something?

Well, I'm certainly not missing your ridiculous hyperbole. :ols:

Hankerson was injured most of last season and is coming off of major surgery (also keep in mind there was no offseason before the 2011 campaign.... the lockout, remember? :) ).

So, for all intent purposes, this is his rookie season. He only has seven starts, and folks have already decided what we have in Hankerson? :doh:

I haven't.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 08:53 AM ----------

2nd year player who's in effect in his rookie season as a pro. He's had a mere 12 games, and 7 starts, Not to mention that rookie season was curtailed first by the CBA B/S that cost him and every other young guy a full off-season with their teams. And then a pretty serious injury that shut it down by week 10.

The drop last Sunday was a complete lack of concentration. Not condoning it by any means as it cost us a sure fire TD. But that ***** gona' happen with such a young, inexperienced player at this level. That's not an excuse. That's just the way it is.

Why so many are so willing to give up on a guy as raw as a pro as he is, as listed above; and one who could well of been a first round pick in most years after setting Miami records in a great senior year is beyond me.

If he's still having these problems this time next year, then you'd have a case. But darn, cut a young man some slack and allow him to develop to that point at least as a pro.

Hail.

Ha, GHH, you beat me to it. Nice post. :)

I wasn't suggesting cutting him.

I simply DID say that there is no excuse for drops like that. He has played football before right? He's a WR right? Rookie, game one...catch the ball. Now, it's a pattern with this guy. I don't like it. I am sure Shanny doesn't. I said in another post that I had come around on him, and now, he's back in whatever doghouse I create in my mind for clowns like him, Randle El, etc.

I don't have to be an expert like you guys to know that WRs that drop the ball (or RBs that fumble, or DBs that can't cover)...aren't very valuable.

..... Ha, GHH, you beat me to it. Nice post. :)

Honestly man, this **** is getting nauseating on here.

I guess the boards just reflect the transient, instant gratification society that is modern day life in 2012; but the lack of patience across the spectrum for what we're trying to do is causing folk to lose all sense of perspective and rationality at an alarming rate.

Hail.

*Edit* brasi man, I just run with your post as a general point to the many that have suggested we should give up Hankerson already. Sorry if it came across as you suggesting he should be cut.

The issue I have with Hankerson is that he is looking like a possession WR when all is said and done, and something a possession WR is counted on for is CATCHING THE BALL.

He can be solid, but I have yet to see anything that indicates he will be anything more than just a guy. Admittedly, he's still very young.

Exactly. For those who haven't noticed, the days of waiting 3 years for a receiver to develop are pretty much over. If they've got the stuff, you see it right away. I have seen nothing from Leonard Hankerson that would lead me to believe that he'll ever be anything more than a mediocre possession receiver.

We can say "wait and see" until we're blue in the face, and while we're waiting, we can enjoy watching rookies and second year players on other teams play like professionals.

Yes, because trading Hank and a fourth round pick, for a former first rounder and borderline elite wide receiver TOTALLY would happen.

This ain't Madden. Hell, even Madden would reject that trade.

And Bowe is on the 1 year franchise tender, so he wouldn't fit under our cap with the penalties. And KC would want more than a 4th for him.

Archived