Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

The overall vibe I get with him is that he doesn't want to be out there. He doesn't attack the game with gusto or want to be THE GUY. Maybe it's inexperience, or lack of confidence. It seems he has the physical tools, but the desire for the game needs to catch up.

I'm not seeing the athleticism. He is slow out of his breaks. He runs like Donny Warren on reverses

Gotta disagree here Zoony. At the last home game I made it a point to specifically watch Hankerson and came away pleasantly surprised. He gets vertical on DB's very quickly and pretty much has his way on the Dig route and deep out. Does he look awkward at times sure? but in my eyes he certainly hasnt been slow out of his breaks, and Donnie Warren certainly doesnt get behind St. Louis secondary like Hank did either.

Is it me or didn't Hankerson drop a sure TD pass against the Vagiants as well? It is true we have not seen enough of Hankerson to know if he is truly a bust or not, but honestly I am on the fence here. Usually young guys are studs out there and anxious to prove themselves and normally make big plays if they can handle the big stage. It may be his mindset that needs adjustment. This week against the Panthers and their soft D would be a good time for Hankerson to catch the elusive TD pass. I would be very happy to be wrong about him.

I'm not seeing the athleticism. He is slow out of his breaks. He runs like Donny Warren on reverses

Like I said (and got skewered for) in my "Stankerson" thread... If a player has something special, it shows up right away. I have not seen one thing about Hankerson that makes me think he'll be a dependable starting WR2 in the NFL. I don't see speed, hands, hops or field savvy.

Really?

How do you figure.

False start penalties on the line

Not reaching for the first down markers when he's close to it

Thinking about running with the ball before catching it

Not paying attention when he's thrown the ball

These are mistakes I've noticed this year.

I've been a big Hankerson proponent since we drafted him. I thought he had the size and athleticism to be our primary receiver but he's getting outplayed by Santana Moss right now, who's role on the team is highly reduced. Hankerson is far too inconsistent to be a legitimate #1 threat. He'll make a big play once and a while but then there are times where he goes ghost.

I hope Hankerson blows up. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

He falls down short of first down way to easily. He's not strong enough in the hips probably because he was injured and didn't get into full speed until right before camp. He's still recovering from the hip injury from last season. I expect bigger things next season.

Redskins fans

Patience

Redskins fans

Patience

You're kidding right?

Hell, over half the board wants the majority of last April's draft cut and have decided that Hankerson and Jenkins are busts even though both just came off of major surgery.

This fan base has no patience,whatsoever.

Patience.... :ols:

My heart tells me to be patient but my mind tells me that there's no time for patience in the NFL when it comes to personnel.

This fan base would not have stood for Aaron Rodgers sitting on the bench under Favre.

This board would've run this narrative: "Rodgers can't get on the field,so let's find a sucker to give us picks for this bust and ship him out the door."

This fan base would not have stood for Aaron Rodgers sitting on the bench under Favre.

This board would've run this narrative: "Rodgers can't get on the field,so let's find a sucker to give us picks for this bust and ship him out the door."

The QB position is probably an exception, especially for a 1st round pick. How much time do you give a 3rd round WR?

Add: Nor am I saying cut him. I'm just saying he hasn't lived up to expectations.

The thing is, our fan base is the first one to say "WE NEED TO GIVE SO AND SO A CHANCE!".

And then, if they aren't immediately Hall of Famers in the making, we scream "Man, so and so sucks, we need to replace him, this guy is never going to get it ever.

It bleeds off onto guys like Rak who for all intents and purposes been outstanding for us, but haven't been outstanding enough. Now I'm seeing the same things about Jenkins and Kerrigan, and now Hank and Aldrick and Niles.

Part of being a young team that tries to build through the draft is developing our talent.

Why down on Hank? Basically, he's a rookie. He's going to make rookie mistakes. If we cut everyone who dropped a pass against the Steelers, we'd have a lot of free cap space.

As far as I'm concerned, this season is gone. The secondary is not going to get any better. We have no players just about to come back from injury, except Garcon, maybe. Merriwether will re-injure his knee the second he tackles someone. Let's work on improving the promising players we have, see who is worth keeping next year so we know who is a good candidate to cut and who to keep. The O-Line is not great, but they are working together and they do manage to give RG3 a few seconds for a quick read, so lets continue to build on that. They are definitely getting holes opened up for Morris, which is a promising.

I feel like Hankerson is getting singled out for everyone's drop issues last game. Mainly because it was about the first and most memorable, literally everyone dropped balls. I mean everyone.

Hankerson does have drop issues obviously, but there is a lot of talent there and a lot of people are not practicing what they are preaching and have been very impatient with our youth. Hankerson has been solid for us this year, although the drop was horrendous and I was just as mad as everyone at the time.

Patience? Patience? Seriously? Let us remind some people of their "patience" for wide receivers named Malcomb Kelly, and Devin Thomas... (and yes, I added the B)... You are a WR, you catch the ball... that has been the knock on him BEFORE the draft!! "Oh, his hands will come" Are you kidding me?

"False start penalties on the line.... yep.

Not reaching for the first down markers when he's close to it......Uhhhhh yep.

Thinking about running with the ball before catching it......mmmm hmmmm.

Not paying attention when he's thrown the ball" You sir are correct!

Yes, because trading Hank and a fourth round pick, for a former first rounder and borderline elite wide receiver TOTALLY would happen.

This ain't Madden. Hell, even Madden would reject that trade.

Bowe is a freeagent at the end of the year.

There seems to be a general consensus that he could be gotten for under value w/ respect to his production/ability.

Now, I don't know if that's the case, and then you'd likely then be making a trade for a guy that could walk or you'd have to tag.

The issue isn't just the drops though. There is a reason that a WR like Terrell Owens was forgiven for his drops, and he had quite a few. It was because of his ability to straight up take over games, regardless of being double-covered.

You mentioned Owens, but it isn't as though Owens took over games during his first 16 games of experience. In fact, for their first year or so together people thought that JJ Stokes was going to develop into the stud.

Hankerson actually compares favorably to Owens so far. In his first 16 games, Owens had 35 catches for 520 yards. In 12 games Hankerson has 36 catches for 460 yards. I don't think preaching patience is a bad thing here.

You mentioned Owens, but it isn't as though Owens took over games during his first 16 games of experience. In fact, for their first year or so together people thought that JJ Stokes was going to develop into the stud.

Hankerson actually compares favorably to Owens so far. In his first 16 games, Owens had 35 catches for 520 yards. In 12 games Hankerson has 36 catches for 460 yards. I don't think preaching patience is a bad thing here.

Hahaha Hank compared too TO? Lol please Hank isn't in the same league, TO is a physical freak! One of the hardest working players ever in the NFL, ole Hank doesn't have that fire let alone the talent.

Archived