Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson: Patience

LiveStrongSkins

It's not about stats, at all. Oldfan was making the point earlier in the thread, that if a player has natural talent you will see it right away, numbers be damned. There's no minimum amount of games or catches a player needs to be able to evaluate him. That is absolutely true and something that's lost on way too many people.

Hankerson doesn't have "it". He had enough to succeed in college, but his ceiling is maybe a #3 receiver in the NFL. He's basically a possession receiver who catches balls (sometimes) and gets tackled. A poor man's Jabar Gaffney.

Horse****. 85% or more of this board couldn't objectively recognize talent if it looked like Rocky Dennis and made crow noises.

Horse****. 85% or more of this board couldn't objectively recognize talent if it looked like Rocky Dennis and made crow noises.
Ouch!

BTW, I'm pretty sure that 85% of the board recognized that Jason Campbell was the real deal and would be able to hit Brandon "Open All Day" Lloyd for 5-6 TDs per game, if given the chance. That was before they determined Lloyd had no future in football.

Ouch!

BTW, I'm pretty sure that 85% of the board recognized that Jason Campbell was the real deal and would be able to hit Brandon "Open All Day" Lloyd for 5-6 TDs per game, if given the chance. That was before they determined Lloyd had no future in football.

Exactly. Collectively we're a pretty biased group of mother****ers and the vast majority of us formulate opinions based entirely on short-term reaction.

I don't think it's the fact the some are impatient. I think it's the fact the the is something missing with when you give Hankerson the eye ball test. Call it passion, call it "it", call it heart. There is something lacking. I don't know if experience will bring that. Maybe it will in he will be more comfortable, knowing what he is doing instead of thinking about it, maybe he's just soft. Time will tell. I will say this no one else on the roster can go up and snatch the ball like he can. The 25 yard catch he had against the panthers was beautiful

That's convincing.

---------- Post added November-8th-2012 at 03:57 PM ----------

Ouch!

Exactly. Those are the same people who think Leonard Hankerson is something special.

Exactly. Those are the same people who think Leonard Hankerson is something special.

Or the same people who think he's useless. Point is he's young. I bet people said Trent Williams didn't have "it" before this year too. It's entirely too early to give up on him.

Hankerson is horrible because he's afraid to get hit. His arms get shorter than my six-month-old's when he crosses the middle of the field. And he has simply fallen down on numerous occasions after a catch this season just because he thinks he's about to be hit, sometimes just a yard or so short of a first down.

He's useless and a huge p-word. Cut him yesterday.

Hankerson is horrible because he's afraid to get hit. His arms get shorter than my six-month-old's when he crosses the middle of the field. And he has simply fallen down on numerous occasions after a catch this season just because he thinks he's about to be hit' date=' sometimes just a yard or so short of a first down.

He's useless and a huge p-word. Cut him yesterday.[/quote']

I don't even know what you're basing this on. I haven't seen him short arm anything aside from a deep ball where he didn't quite extend enough but wasn't in danger of being hit and a short 5-yard route where he didn't even appear to see the ball coming over the line. I've also seen him try to fight through contact to pick up a first on at least one occasion.

He's no Anquan Boldin but he doesn't just quit when a guy comes at him.

You know what stinks about these kind of discussions? It's that the inevitable pride and egotistical desire to be right in all of us can become a reason for us to actively ROOT for bad to happen to this team. Hankerson developing into a stud would be a great thing for this team, however, some on here will now be actively rooting against that since they took a certain position here in this very thread and don't want to look foolish.

I know, here comes the usual "I'd LOVE to be wrong" crap. Yeah, uh huh. :ols:

By the way, I think Hank is on and off. Shocker when talking about a 2nd year WR taken in the 3rd round recovering from a hip injury, I know. :pfft:

Botched didn't claim that the ability to recognize talent was common. He paraphrased me saying that it is possible to see natural talent, or the lack of it, right away.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 02:17 PM ----------

You know what stinks about these kind of discussions? It's that the inevitable pride and egotistical desire to be right in all of us can become a reason for us to actively ROOT for bad to happen to this team. Hankerson developing into a stud would be a great thing for this team, however, some on here will now be actively rooting against that since they took a certain position here in this very thread and don't want to look foolish.

I know, here comes the usual "I'd LOVE to be wrong" crap. Yeah, uh huh. :ols:

By the way, I think Hank is on and off. Shocker when talking about a 2nd year WR taken in the 3rd round recovering from a hip injury, I know. :pfft:

It sounds like you have a deeper understanding of excessive pride than I do.:evilg:

Im tryin g to figure why all the Hate for are own players? I mean if he doesn't pan out so be it..Hank is only a drafted player,not some big name free agent sigining..I mean if, and when, Hank85 does have a superstar/breakout year half of you fans would be angry at him if he decided to leave for the $$$ Smh same ol emotinal "loser mentality" from our fans...geeesh this town needs a winner real soon to stop some of this Hate towards are own players

Leonard Hankerson is on pace for the following stats this year:

81 targets, 46 receptions, 608 yards, 2 TDs

These are some other higher-level WRs in their 2nd years as professionals:

Roddy White: 66 targets, 30 receptions, 506 yards, 0 TDs

Steve Smith: unknown targets, 54 receptions, 872 yards, 3 TDs

Hines Ward: unknown targets, 61 receptions, 638 yards, 7 TDs

Reggie Wayne: unknown targets, 49 receptions, 716 yards, 4 TDs

Sidney Rice: 31 targets, 15 receptions, 141 yards, 4 TDs

TJ Houshmandzadeh: unknown targets, 41 receptions, 492 yards, 1 TD

Donald Driver: unknown targets, 21 receptions, 322 yards, 1 TD

Rod Smith: unknown targets, 16 receptions, 231 yards, 1 TD

Ed McCaffrey: unknown targets, 45 receptions, 610 yards, 5 TDs

For some receivers, it just takes time.

That's true only if the talent is there.

That's true. Just because he's in the same vicinity doesn't mean he'll automatically take that next step.

IMO, I agree with a few previous posters about his smoothness and fluidity coming in and out of his breaks. I really like the way he runs routes, which is why he has so many opportunities to make catches (even if he drops some of them). It's kind of how I felt about Carlos Rogers. Yes, he dropped INTs, but he was only able to show that weakness because of how strong he was in coverage. If Hankerson can clean up his concentration and deep ball adjustments, he could be a really good WR for this team.

I will say this though; I'd like to see him progress as we come toward the end of this season. It would be a good sign to see him come on better and better every week, similar to what we saw before he got hurt last year.

I'm starting to wonder if part of his struggles are that he has not fully recovered from his serious hip injury? I saw Hank take some big hits at Miami so when I saw him slide before getting hit in I believe the Giants game I started to worry that he's terrified of being hit on that hip again? He's plenty fast and has tremendous size I just think he needs a little longer, like most NFL receivers, to develop. Giving up on Hankerson now because he hasn't developed into an elite receiver a season after suffering a major injury in a game in which he was dominating seems pretty silly to me. I think we should keep letting him work out the kinks, get completely healthy and allow him to keep building a rapport with RGIII. The explosiveness and tremendous hands he displayed his last year at The U will come in time, don't give up on him yet.

Explain its relevance to something you read -- a quote would help.

:ols: Being right is fun, but I'd rather have a good football team to be proud of.
Okay, I see now that you were referring to a post from yesterday.

Question: If you are not sometimes guilty of this particular sin of pride yourself, how do you know that others feel it?

Archived