Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Average Gas Price Tops $4 a Gallon (flashback, June 8, 2008)

Fergasun

CNN.com: Average Gas Price Tops $4 a Gallon

June 8, 2008 -- Gasoline rose to a milestone mark Sunday as the national average compiled by motorist group AAA reached $4 a gallon for the first time. In a second survey, the average price came within 0.2 cent of $4 a gallon in the Lundberg Survey, which showed a 20-cent rise in the past three weeks to a new record. The national average for regular unleaded rose 1.7 cents to $4.005, according the daily measure on the AAA's Web site. That surpassed the previous record of $3.989 set Thursday. The milestone was expected after a surge in crude oil prices added more than $16 to a barrel of oil over the last 2 trading days. Crude settled at a record $138.54 a barrel Friday, up by $10.75, after setting an all-time intraday high of $139.12.
Someone please tell me why people are talking about gas prices now, when they also spiked high in 2008?! As if, it was only after Obama was elected President that we had $4/gallon gas. Are you kidding me?! Can someone explain why gas spiked in the summer of 2008? Was it because the economy was doing poorly?

CNN.com: Average Gas Price Tops $4 a Gallon

Someone please tell me why people are talking about gas prices now, when they also spiked high in 2008?! As if, it was only after Obama was elected President that we had $4/gallon gas. Are you kidding me?! Can someone explain why gas spiked in the summer of 2008? Was it because the economy was doing poorly?

Especially since crude oil prices are about $40 cheaper a barrel now. Is the current pricing strictly due to refinery problems?

Light crude prices per barrel.

Especially since crude oil prices are about $40 cheaper a barrel now. Is the current pricing strictly due to refinery problems?

Light crude prices per barrel.

I dont' think its refinery problems. I think gas prices are high due to demand.

Obama was trying to say we have to address this from a demand side and a supply side, but I believe Romney is saying its purely an oil supply side problem.

Anyone confirm or deny that?

cant agree with that

gas was heavily discussed during Bush's presidency.

I have no idea where Romney got that "it was $1.86 for regular gas in this county in 2008" line tho. I remember gas being at least $2.20-$2.50 in the DC area.

I don't think prices have been below $2 for like 10 years now. Hell, we're excited if it goes below $3. I think there would have been parties on the streets if it was $1.86

I don't think prices have been below $2 for like 10 years now. Hell, we're excited if it goes below $3. I think there would have been parties on the streets if it was $1.86

Agreed.

I remember in like '98, '99 it was $1.09 or whatever. Dirt cheap.

I also have no idea where Romney got that $1.86 number. Maybe a national average or some small sample size of the flyover states but I remember in DC it was way, way more than that.

How much effect does speculation have on the price?

I find it hard to blame gas prices on an administration.

Seems to me to be simple supply and demand. Fuel companies have supply, we never curb our demand. While we hve seen SOME people do things differently, and we've seen auto makers start to market more fuel efficient vehicles, you still see umpteen people driving themselves around in a huge SUVor spotless clean full size pickup with no passengers (or evidence of ever having done any truck-like work) . Luxury is more important than the price to a lot of people.

Next time you're at a stoplight, count them.. how many people make a left in front of you in their big huge Escalade.. with no one in it but them.

The price is what the oil companies have determined we will pay without a full scale revolt.

And whenever you see those folks in their high consumption vehicles on their daily commute or errands.. they are helping determine what price you will pay.

~Bang

How much effect does speculation have on the price?

I find it hard to blame gas prices on an administration.

Seems to me to be simple supply and demand. Fuel companies have supply, we never curb our demand. While we hve seen SOME people do things differently, and we've seen auto makers start to market more fuel efficient vehicles, you still see umpteen people driving themselves around in a huge SUVor spotless clean full size pickup with no passengers (or evidence of ever having done any truck-like work) . Luxury is more important than the price to a lot of people.

Next time you're at a stoplight, count them.. how many people make a left in front of you in their big huge Escalade.. with no one in it but them.

The price is what the oil companies have determined we will pay without a full scale revolt.

And whenever you see those folks in their high consumption vehicles on their daily commute or errands.. they are helping determine what price you will pay.

~Bang

I agree that it's hard to blame it on administration, but that won't keep people from trying. Anything/everything gets politicized these days.

gasbuddy.com has charts of gas prices for the last 8 years. Here's the national average over that time.

gaspricesl.jpg

Gas prices were at that level, for the blink of an eye, as the economy tanked. I liked Obama's line, paraphrasing "You'll get those gas prices again with Romney after he destroys the economy".

We have curbed demand(or the economy crashing has) with peak usage in 2007

Think the drought might be a factor? (with the increased costs of corn and the rising mandated usage of ethanol)

http://automotivedigest.com/2012/10/epa-considers-cutting-ethanol-requirements/

Cali's price spike was a supply /demand issue, one they addressed by allowing a different formulation of gas

gasbuddy.com has charts of gas prices for the last 8 years. Here's the national average over that time.

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/4714/gaspricesl.jpg

Gas prices were at that level, for the blink of an eye, as the economy tanked. I liked Obama's line, paraphrasing "You'll get those gas prices again with Romney after he destroys the economy".

Over $4.00 definitely blows but it's not like anything above $3.00 is something we should be immensely thankful for either. Like MattFancy said, it's reason to celebrate if it drops below $3.00.

cant agree with that

gas was heavily discussed during Bush's presidency.

I have no idea where Romney got that "it was $1.86 for regular gas in this county in 2008" line tho. I remember gas being at least $2.20-$2.50 in the DC area.

I filled up for 1.43 a gallon in December 2008.

I remember that because I kept the receipt :)

This is an infuriating subject... Bush was hammered by the left for gas prices and for keeping his buddies in the oil industry happy... but gas prices have now been higher for a longer period of time during Mr. O's admin and everyone shuts their mouths. Crude oil is lower but prices higher.

A few years ago we were told it was because of China's demand but then gas prices dropped to decade lows for a few months... so what is it?

Besides my mortgage, this is the among the biggest monthly expenses my family has and it can be crippling. We drive as little as possible, so there is no way to use less than we already are.

Obama obviously doesnt care and I am not sure Romney does either.

• 4 months later...

Gas prices are on a mysterious climb

The average price of a gallon of regular gasoline has jumped 45 cents in the past 31 days, according to AAA, the fastest run-up since 2005.

Retail gasoline prices have climbed for 33 days in a row. A month ago, a gallon of regular gasoline cost $3.30; on Tuesday it stood at $3.75 nationwide.

Analysts differed widely on the causes of the increase.

The price of crude oil, which makes up about two-thirds of the price of gasoline, remains extremely high by historical standards.

Click on the link for the full article

I paid over $4 for gas for the first time in my life yesterday. $4.29 for mid grade. I remember getting $2.55-$2.60 for mid grade during my first year of college. This is getting ridiculous.

Edit, I don't know where in the hell people were getting gas under $2 in 2008.

Teaneck NJ. December 23rd 2008. 1.43/gallon

Archived