Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Average Gas Price Tops $4 a Gallon (flashback, June 8, 2008)

Fergasun

gas prices must naturally rise

http://news.yahoo.com/energy-secretary-chu-admits-administration-ok-high-gas-193900713.html

Chu, along with the Obama administration, regards the spike in gas prices as a feature rather than a bug. High gas prices provide an incentive for alternate energy technology, a priority for the White House, and a decrease in reliance on oil for energy.

As long as there is a world market for oil, it is silly to think that Americans have some long term entitlement to cheap gasoline. Why would they sell it to you for $2 a gallon if the Chinese are willing to pay three times that? It's not a matter of "conditioning us" to anything, its a matter of maximizing profits with a non-fungible commodity traded on world markets.

As long as there is a world market for oil, it is silly to think that Americans have some long term entitlement to cheap gasoline. Why would they sell it to you for $2 a gallon if the Chinese are willing to pay three times that? It's not a matter of "conditioning us" to anything, its a matter of maximizing profits with a non-fungible commodity traded on world markets.

Nahh. It's Haliburton.

But how many different excuses are there to use for the rise? Supply/Demand, seasonal blends, refineries online/off-line, regional turmoil, strength of the dollar, weather, etc. Pardon me if I feel like we are all being taken advantage of.

Nahh. It's Haliburton.

Yeah. That was nonsense. The looney left should be embarrassed about that.

---------- Post added February-20th-2013 at 04:40 PM ----------

But how many different excuses are there to use for the rise? Supply/Demand, seasonal blends, refineries online/off-line, regional turmoil, strength of the dollar, weather, etc. Pardon me if I feel like we are all being taken advantage of.

You are being taken advantage of. You are buying a product for which there is rising demand and no short term substitute for the individual. The thing is, the oil companies' job is not to sell you cheap gasoline. Their job is to maximize their long term profit for their shareholders. There is no question that they manipulate everything that they can, and make all sorts of bullcrap excuses, but the sad fact remains that they are not a regulated utility and they don't have to sell gasoline at any particular price. There are market failures built into the system that undermine genuine price competition, and I also suspect that there is collusion (but it is awfully hard to prove).

Nevertheless, the long term trends are undeniable. Half of the world is modernizing rapidly and buying cars and naturally demanding more and more gasoline. Unless China and India suddenly fall into the sea, the demand for oil is going to go up and so is the price. As individuals, we are idiots if we don't recognize that reality, and try to wean ourselves off oil as much as we realistically can. Anyone who buys a gas guzzling SUV today is an absolute fool. As a country, we are idiots if we don't diversify our energy sources as much as we possibly can.

cant agree with that

gas was heavily discussed during Bush's presidency.

I have no idea where Romney got that "it was $1.86 for regular gas in this county in 2008" line tho. I remember gas being at least $2.20-$2.50 in the DC area.

I live in PG county and i clearly remember gas being down to 1.75 right before the election. Thats why me and a couple of buddies did redskins road games that year

All that NG just begging to be used ;)

kinda like that oil seeping out of the ground there

Natural gas production is skyrocketing, despite what Mitt Romney like to claim.

There are a lot of oil platforms in California, but if Houston's economy was as tourism heavy as Santa Barbara's, you would be reluctant to have much more drilling along your beaches too. It's a smart economic decision.

OK, I will go out on a limb and knowingly cheer something against my short term interests. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I want $5+ per gallon gas. Yes, this will cause inflation in costs of other goods, most notably food. Still, this it the only thing I see moving the American public away from low gas mileage cars with terribly inefficient driving habits. If we are ever to get a decent public transit system like most of the rest of the first world countries, it will have to be because it makes market sense to have one.

Yes, this will hurt with my 60+ miles a day commute, even driving a Carola. Higher gas prices might also be the key to saving cities from the ever widening suburbia with impoverished inner cities. High gas prices is not all warts and farts. There is a long term up side. We have long been a country of innovation, but on transportation we have become spoiled and lazy.

You guys are making my heart bleed. The average price of a gallon of petrol in the UK has just reached the £6 mark - so thats just over $8.90. Over twice what you folks pay. About 80% of the total cost though is taxation either through fuel duty or VAT.

I drive a BMW X5 - its a diesel (which is even more expensive per gallon than petrol but I get much better fuel economy) - and it costs me about £120 ($183) to fill the tank from empty.

Archived