Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ketchup on a cheesesteak. Yes or No?

No Excuses

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

5086593009_a0519bd3f4.jpg

See how the bread wraps all the way around the meat cheese and whatever else you got in there? Also, the bread should be kind of chewy, so you have to tear it off the sandwich.

Not too much meat and the cheese cooked into it, not sitting there. The meat and cheese is one entity, together.

Onions IMO are mandatory, but I love those things. peppers, mushrooms, ketchup, mustard, hot peppers, even mayo (which should be unnecessary because of the consistency of the melted NYer white american cheese).

If you add cold things to it, likt tomatoes and lettuce, it's a cheesesteak hoagie, then mayo might be more appropriate. I like chicken cheesesteak hoagies myself, with mayo and mustard.

• 2 months later...
An Orlando, Florida Subway sandwich shop was the site of a confrontation over ketchup that escalated to a 911 call and an employee firing. Luis Martinez stopped for a Philly cheesesteak at Subway located within a Walmart and asked Lawrence Ordone for his sandwich with American cheese, onions and ketchup. It was the last ingredient that led to a dispute. Ordone, the Subway sandwich artist, told Martinez they do not carry ketchup. Angry words and obscenities were exchanged and Ordone, after feeling there could be a possible gun threat, moved from behind the counter to block Martinez from leaving. Martinez asserts that Ordone then threatened to kill him, which Ordone denies. Martinez called 911 and by the time police arrived the employee had already left. Ordone was later fired from Subway.

OK, several things I noticed in this story. First, it wasn't in Philly, it was in Florida (there's your first clue), and it was at a Subway, so it wasn't a really Philly Cheesesteak anyway. Second, "the Subway sandwhich artist" Artist? Really? They guy slaps together some stuff on bread, there's no artistry in what they do at Subway. Third, no ketchup at Subway? I wouldn't want it but it seems odd that they don't have any. Do they have mustard? It would seem to me mustard moreso would be a commonly used condiment on sandwiches.

I lived in Philly long enough to know the general ground rules -

#1 - whiz or provolone - either or both are acceptable

#2 - onions are OK

#3 - dipping or adding ketchup is also OK

#4 - Mayo could get you into trouble depending on the place.

#5 - Hot peppers are on the side and not normally included grilled in the meat

#6 - Green peppers are myth in real Philly cheesesteaks

#7 - Mushrooms - see #6

I honestly don't like ketchup on anything. Open the fridge door and there's nothing but different mustards on the inside of the door. Ketchup is usually pretty much the same no matter who makes it...there's only a few different variations of...the same thing.

I wouldn't even put mustard on a cheesesteak though...wouldn't even think to put ketchup on there.

I was in Philly for a conference last year and decided to get an "authentic" cheesesteak before I went home. Stopped at Tony & Luke's. 2 hours after eating it, got bubble guts and ended up parking my car in the middle of the street by my parents house (I couldn't make it to mine b/c of the "issues" i was having LOL) and sprinted like Usain Bolt to the bathroom. NEVER.AGAIN.

Yup I realized I screwed up the poll quite badly. :ols:

Oh well. I got my response straight from the cheesesteak homeland. Their opinion counts more. :pfft:

With your screen name you are not allowed to give them. :)

(But again, ketchup is sugar to cover food children won't eat, then its tangy bbq sauce for the okay foods, nothing is needed for the great foods).

Archived