Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ketchup on a cheesesteak. Yes or No?

No Excuses

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I dreamed of cheesesteaks last night. OP I hope you're happy with yourself.

Just about everybody puts ketchup on a cheesesteak. Just about everybody. It pretty much goes without saying.

The roast beef sandwiches you people confuse with a cheesesteak maybe not though.

I want Philly style pizza slices and a cheesesteak.

I'd get two slices to eat while waiting for my cheesesteak and fries (that also usually have melted American cheese melted on them).

Then when I get my sandwich, I put ketchup and spicy mustard and crushed red pepper on it, as well as a dipping puddle for my sandwich and cheesefries, that Ill let the sandwich drippings pool up on top of.

*weeps*

You don't really put it on the cheesesteak, you dip it in it before you bite it.

I'm guilty of this....

I dreamed of cheesesteaks last night. OP I hope you're happy with yourself.

Just about everybody puts ketchup on a cheesesteak. Just about everybody. It pretty much goes without saying.

The roast beef sandwiches you people confuse with a cheesesteak maybe not though.

I want Philly style pizza slices and a cheesesteak.

I'd get two slices to eat while waiting for my cheesesteak and fries (that also usually have melted American cheese melted on them).

Then when I get my sandwich, I put ketchup and spicy mustard and crushed red pepper on it, as well as a dipping puddle for my sandwich and cheesefries, that Ill let the sandwich drippings pool up on top of.

*weeps*

Aren't you in St. Thomas? Guess that ain't happenin' at your current address. What's your "go-to" food there?

Aren't you in St. Thomas? Guess that ain't happenin' at your current address. What's your "go-to" food there?

St Croix. My go to food here? I don't really have one. There is great local food like doubles and roti, but ya gotta love curry. I do, but it doesn't cover a cheesesteak craving. Some places do actually make some pretty good ones here, but it's not like in Philly, more like what ya get in MD or VA. A good roast beef, with the meat shredded instead of sliced, ya know.

I use to make a box of mac and cheese, with two cans of beefaroni. :ols: I may have done that recently. :paranoid: I can also do a vegan version. :D

I'll be going back to the grocery store today before the tropical storm hits, to buy ketchup and steak meat and a local bakery for bread. I've already got mustard, CRPs and cheese (can't get white NYer unless I buy a large log, so it'll be cheddar).

I'll be going back to the grocery store today before the tropical storm hits, to buy ketchup and steak meat and a local bakery for bread.

If it helps, here's an official recipe from Pat's....

Ingredients

6 tablespoons Soya bean oil

1 large onion, sliced

24 ounces sliced rib eye or eye roll steak

Cheese (store processed recommended); American or Provolone

4 crusty Italian Rolls

Sweet green and red peppers, sauteed in oil (optional)

Mushrooms sauteed in oil (optional)

Ketchup

Directions

Heat an iron skillet or a non-stick pan over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan and saute the onions to desired doneness. Remove the onions and add the remaining oil and saute the slices of meat quickly on both sides. Melt the cheez whiz in a double boiler or in the microwave. Place 8 ounces of the meat into the rolls, add onions, and pour the store-processed cheese over top. Garnish with sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup.

Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy.

* Professional Recipe

This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.

I have bolded the word relevant to this thread. Given that they invented the thing, I guess they'd know.

Thanks TB. Being from Phiily, I know how to make a great one. It's in the same vein as chinese people knowing karate and brazilians knowing how to dance. It goes without saying.

I do like that is doesn't say Whiz for the cheese.

If you go to any of the main places, and you say "one wit", you get a cheesesteak with fried onions and white melted new yorker american cheese and there is a ketchup bottle on the counter, everything else is somewhere else.

Thanks TB. Being from Phiily, I know how to make a great one. It's in the same vein as chinese people knowing karate and brazilians knowing how to dance. It goes without saying.

I do like that is doesn't say Whiz for the cheese.

If you go to any of the main places, and you say "one wit", you get a cheesesteak with fried onions and white melted new yorker american cheese and there is a ketchup bottle on the counter, everything else is somewhere else.

Karate would be Japanese.

Wtf is wrong with you people? You don't put catsup on ribeye. Period. There is no discussion here

It depends. If it is made really juicy then no. If not then I will dip into my ketchup but not put it on the cheesesteak. You can substitute that with barbecue sauce as well. I try different things all of the time so one must has to see what one's taste bud say. :)

On a steak and cheese from the carry out, Mayo, Lettuce, and Tomatoes....

On a Philly Cheese Steak, nothing.

Bingo.

A true cheesesteak is all about 3 things - cheese, steak, bread. Onions/peppers/shrooms are acceptable per your interests, but when you start throwing condiments and lettuce/tomato on there, you are no longer eating a cheesesteak, it's now a hoagie.

In my opinion, the only cheesesteak that requires ketchup is a DRY cheesesteak (JIM'S!!!!)

I'm from the north and couldn't give a **** if it's gas or charcoal. Actually, I prefer gas 10 times to 1.

Charcoal?!? Where am I? Uganda? Grow up, buy a tank or cut some wood. :D

Do you put ketchup on your charcoal?

In all seriousness, now I'm goning to have to get one.

Blows my diet, but all this talk is driving me crazy.

Archived