Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do people still think we overpaid for Griffin?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Now people have seen RG3 play an entire regular season game. All that I've seen are glowing reports from the media about him. Poise, accuracy, speed etc. etc. This comes from the same media that criticized the Skins (not all but some) for being "Synder doing it again". I was surprised that they actually made that kind of deal. 2 #1 draft picks in the next two years. Swapping this year's number one and a second rounder.

Now the early returns are great, but it's only one game and we know that he'll struggle at some point.

Does anyone still think we paid too much for Griffin? Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/Rtf1_ORxDdk

Now people have seen RG3 play an entire regular season game. All that I've seen are glowing reports from the media about him. Poise, accuracy, speed etc. etc. This comes from the same media that criticized the Skins (not all but some) for being "Synder doing it again". I was surprised that they actually made that kind of deal. 2 #1 draft picks in the next two years. Swapping this year's number one and a second rounder.

Now the early returns are great, but it's only one game and we know that he'll struggle at some point.

Does anyone still think we paid too much for Griffin? Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/Rtf1_ORxDdk

I think you jumped the gun on asking this question just a smidge.

Let's say you won a raffle where the payout was $1000. The chances of winning were 1/1000 and the cost of your ticket was $500. Should you have made that gamble? Probably not. The fact that you got lucky doesn't mean it was a good choice at the time.

I'm not saying Allen was right or wrong in moving up to draft RG3. Just that it isn't inconsistent for the media to say it was a bad gamble, yet praise RG3's performance at the same time.

While I agree it's a little early to be asking this, I'm one that believed RG3 was going to be a very special player before we even traded up. I also believe the following... Holmgren will lose his job next off season and it will be primarily b/c he failed to secure RG3 even though they were in much better position to due so than us. Furthermore, I believe in 2-3 years the Rams will actually be kicking themselves for making the deal with the skins rather than taking Griffin themselves.

Let's say you won a raffle where the payout was $1000. The chances of winning were 1/1000 and the cost of your ticket was $500. Should you have made that gamble? Probably not. The fact that you got lucky doesn't mean it was a good choice at the time.

I'm not saying Allen was right or wrong in moving up to draft RG3. Just that it isn't inconsistent for the media to say it was a bad gamble, yet praise RG3's performance at the same time.

Not exactly a good analogy. You can't scout lotteries and whether you win is completely random. I would say the Redskins overpaid for Griffin but it was a necessary move. The only other franchise that was in as much dire need for a real QB was Cleveland and I'm bettting they wish they had ponied up.

I don't like this question.

If we win one Lombardi with RG3 then I think almost everyone would say the price was worth it. If we don't then there will be no shortage of 'Told you so's coming out of the woodworks. That's the difference between a brilliant aggressive personnel move and the stupidest trade in NFL history.

Honestly, given the dearth of QBs out there, teams have to make a call and be somewhat aggressive going after the guy they want. That is exactly what we did. If this was a typical 'Snyder move' we would've done it last year. We made a call based on the best information available. So I'm going to say yes he was worth it. But he was also worth it 4 days ago.

We never overpaid. Draft picks are devalued one round when they are for next year's draft and 2 rounds for next, next year's. So, we really gave up 2 second rounders and a third in present value to move up.

It's not like those future first rounders are guaranteed to be converted into difference-makers. There's a Hell of a drop off between the top and bottom of the first round. So, we really have no idea what we paid for Griffin at this point until we see where those picks land and which players would have been available. I'll take Griffin over 3 generic first round picks any day,

Archived