Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do people still think we overpaid for Griffin?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

IMO, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, and Big Ben are all worth more than Griffin is, as of today. It's like you guys have said, most teams would trade everything but the kitchen sink for a chance at a Lombardi. All 5 of those QB's have shown they can play at a high level in the playoffs and help lead their teams to Super Bowl victories. Your QB might one day reach their level, but those guys are already proven champions with several years of high quality play likely left in them. You can't take potential over that, not after one game.

IMO, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, and Big Ben are all worth more than Griffin is, as of today. It's like you guys have said, most teams would trade everything but the kitchen sink for a chance at a Lombardi. All 5 of those QB's have shown they can play at a high level in the playoffs and help lead their teams to Super Bowl victories. Your QB might one day reach their level, but those guys are already proven champions with several years of high quality play likely left in them. You can't take potential over that, not after one game.

All of those QBs you mention are successful but have been in their systems for a number of years and have been built around . If you are looking for value in a QB you don't want someone you can plug into a system and hope it works out but someone who knows the system and is familiar with the suporting cast .

Most of which are on the downside of their careers teams would probably pay big bucks (more than Griffin in terms of $$) to those if they were free agents but in terms of trade I would take the 22 year old with bags of potential rather than the 30+ proven vet .

Prior to 2007 most Giants fans were ready to see Eli hit the bricks ...

2) I don't value the QB position as highly as most fans. QBs have been telling us for decades that they get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. I agree with them.

Franchise quarterbacks will consistently compete for Super Bowls. Good teams and defenses will get you there once at most ('85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '03 Bucs, '05 Bears). I'd rather have Brady, the Mannings, Brees, Roethlisberger, Warner, and Rodgers.

They're not worth more than Griffin. For one its not you done in the past but a projection of what you can do. Even though they won a ring doesn't mean they will or can do it now. So I rather put my money on the brand new house thann the old one. Even though I know the old one can withstand a hurricane and the new hasn't shown it can yet.

I can't believe people are actually saying they'd trade the future of the franchise for some other teams QB. RG3 could be the best QB (or top3) of the next decade to 15 years and he's a Redskin. Guys like Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, will all be done in the next 5 or so. We could be seeing playoffs and Super Bowls until 2025 with the same guy behind center. At minimum we should expect similar success of the Eagles with Mc Nugget and more than Romo sits to pee with the Pukes.

You can't really judge the trade by what happens in the future though. Whether he gets injured next Sunday and never plays again or if he goes to 12 Pro Bowls and wins 4 Super Bowls the trade is over. It's value was decided months ago. Based on the data available in March was it worth it? Would the possibility of having a 22 year old Elway, or Young be worth it? Of course it is. Lets just hope he doesn't get injured because thats a lot of draft picks on 1 player. Even so, look at where most of our first rounders the past decade are anyway. Campbell, Ramsey, Coles trade, Gardner, Landry, 2008 wr trade down, all pretty much wasted picks.

It's not too early to judge the trade. It wasn't too early to judge on the night the trade was announced. Bottom line, it's worth the risk based on his potential. Mike took a calculated risk. The only thing we don't know is the final pay off.

He is not signed to a 15 year deal, he could leave the team after his first contract is up and go somewhere else as a FA, would all the people who think we didn't overpay for RGIII still think so if he is only a Skin for 4 years?

This team still lacks not only depth but could use upgrades on a few starter, and the team now has 2 less first round picks to go get that talent cheaply. This team could use some new starters on the O line, D line, and secondary to begin with, and I am not sold on any of the WR's past Garcon. In fact I get a little bit of a felling of Santana Moss 2.0, where the team has a good #1, but the drop off to #2 is huge and defenses start double teaming garcon shutting him down while the #2 on the other side of the field is not good enough to get separation in one on one or find the hole in the zone. RGIII threw 13 passes to WR's in game one, 4 to Garcon & 4 to his replacemnt Robinson for a total of 8 to the #1 WR. Moss caught 3, Morgan & Banks 1 each, which is over 60% of passes to WR's going to the #1.

1st rounders are signed to 5 year contracts technically. But if you think we'll just up and let him go, you are crazier than Vinny Cerato.

D-Line? Obviously you weren't watching the D-Line on Sunday. You do realize that we only had 5 of our 6 guys active (Baker was hurt) and was still able to get constant pressure? We don't need D-Line in the draft.

Our depth showed. How many times have you seen 1 injury decimate us over the years? The 2 areas of concern were the O-Line and secondary. The secondary looked fine, and even when Bernstein went down, they still played well. The O-line played great, considering they haven't been playing all preseason together.

I do agree that you always need to look for depth every year. We have 8 picks for next year.. We have a 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7 and 7. Picks under Shanahan and Allen have NEVER been a problem. It's not the "amount" of picks you have, but the "quality" of players that you pick. The Patriots have always had a ton of picks, but rarely do any of them make the roster or have an impact. Most of our picks the last 2 years have not only made the roster, but most of them are having impacts on the team in one way or another.

Alderick Robinson came in after Garcon was injured and didn't miss a beat. I'd call that quality depth.

---------- Post added September-13th-2012 at 11:16 AM ----------

I think we underpaid for once. When can get a player that everyone believes in and excites it's priceless. Then to have it that player at the QB position is tremendous. These days are not like the old ones. Where it was smashmouth. In your face type of game. And for to hold that stance is crazy. The QB position is the Most Important Position In The NFL. Case in point SF. And yeah I brought up SF because they are the perfect example. SF is built around a run game and defense. But won them and lost them their most important games of last year? That's right the QB. They wouldn't have won vs the Saints if it wasn't for Alex Smith playing out of his mind that game. Matter fact the last play was his TD pass. He played Elite in that game. Next game he played like trash. This the point no matter how good your defense is or run game and line is. If you don't have a QB that can consistently play at a high level when it matters than sorry you're not winning in this NFL.

Agreed. As good as SF is, if Alex Smith plays bad, they lose. He had a great game Sunday and they were able to beat GB.

Lol. I love these threads.

Typical ES to jump the gun after a win (or loss). Can't answer this until we have more data. It's just one game.

Just enjoying the moment.

As SkinsFTW said, the value has been decided. It doesn't really matter what happens now, this isn't like trading up to get a mediocre prospect like Jason Campbell or Patrick Ramsey or trading 2nd rounders for an aging vet with a lower ceiling. This is like nabbing Michael Jordan and for some reason, he never pans out.

Also, Cleveland DID try to up their ante. A QB Changes the game and we've seen now that ShanAllen are VERY good at picking in the later rounds, we're really reaping some great picks there a la Robinson, Morris,Crawford and Bernstine.

I think we underpaid for once. When can get a player that everyone believes in and excites it's priceless. Then to have it that player at the QB position is tremendous. These days are not like the old ones. Where it was smashmouth. In your face type of game. And for to hold that stance is crazy. The QB position is the Most Important Position In The NFL. Case in point SF. And yeah I brought up SF because they are the perfect example. SF is built around a run game and defense. But won them and lost them their most important games of last year? That's right the QB. They wouldn't have won vs the Saints if it wasn't for Alex Smith playing out of his mind that game. Matter fact the last play was his TD pass. He played Elite in that game. Next game he played like trash. This the point no matter how good your defense is or run game and line is. If you don't have a QB that can consistently play at a high level when it matters than sorry you're not winning in this NFL.
Of course the QB is the most important position player but there is a limit on his value and it sounds like you far exceed it.

Alex Smith was considered a bust until Harbaugh's coaching turned the 49ers around. The 49ers didn't win or lose simply on Alex Smith's performance before Harbaugh got there and they don't win or lose based solely on his performance now.

Of course the QB is the most important position player but there is a limit on his value and it sounds like you far exceed it.

Alex Smith was considered a bust until Harbaugh's coaching turned the 49ers around. The 49ers didn't win or lose simply on Alex Smith's performance before Harbaugh got there and they don't win or lose based solely on his performance now.

Would SF won vs GB if Alex just played OK? I think not.

After watching game 1, I was thinking that we should call the Rams and offer them even more :)

Im just waiting for the pre or post game handshake photo with Shanny and Fisher and a *Capition this Photo* Thread.

---------- Post added September-13th-2012 at 01:52 PM ----------

Its just ONE GAME against a SUSPECT defense.

In a dome where the Saints had won their last 9 games. What's your point exactly? Robert and the Redskins still had to come out and execute against that "Suspect" defense.

I'd point to remember acceptable price is RELATIVE, it will sell at what someone is willing to pay it. Also we need to remember UTILITY or satisfaction in getting what you want and immediate production you receive from said acquisition.

The price was never ever an issue for me because of the utility the skins would receive from having a stud starting qb (you would never do it, if you didn't think he would be) and what it would mean for this team.

I'd point to remember acceptable price is RELATIVE, it will sell at what someone is willing to pay it. Also we need to remember UTILITY or satisfaction in getting what you want and immediate production you receive from said acquisition.

The price was never ever an issue for me because of the utility the skins would receive from having a stud starting qb (you would never do it, if you didn't think he would be) and what it would mean for this team.

Are we talking Economics? Think of our alloted draft picks as capital to be budgeted. In order to maximize the roster, it would be smart to strive to make each and every roster transaction a bargain (surplus value).

Jay Cutler was a 25 year-old QB coming off a Pro-Bowl season. Most observers thought the Bears overpaid for him in that trade. We paid more for a college QB. He certainly wasn't a bargain.

Only time will tell. I said for him to be worth the picks, he'd damn near have to exceed his high expectations. He did that week 1, so I'll eat my crow, pray he can continue to do so.
Good decisions can fail even when the odds favor success. Bad decision sometimes beat the odds and succeed. So, we can't use the outcome to pass judgment on a decision made without a cystal ball. Besides, we won't ever know how much value the Skins might have gotten from three ones and a two if they hadn't been spent on RG3. So, there will never be a way to draw a comparison to his production.

No matter what our opinions are, we can't be proven right or wrong.

I dont understand why some people think we overpaid by such a wide margin.

Screw those picks. Seriously. Have you people not been fans the last 20 years? It's as if we had a choice.

What RGIII brings to this team, whether or not we win multiple super bowls, far outweighs the cost:

1 - fan excitement ... this has been a struggling franchise. To say the fan base is reenergized is an understatement.

2 - players WANT TO PLAY WITH RGIII. There is no Pierre Garcon if we don't make that trade. I mean, he literally came out and said it. In the future, we will be able to sign the free agents we want, specifically on offense, because of guys wanting to play with RGIII and play with this team. Not just guys who want to get paid so they come to the Skins. Which is what we've dealt with in the past.

3 - The difference between Luck, RGIII ... and the other rookie QBs is astounding. We didnt get a guy that would need multiple years of grooming (ie. Weeden, who may be too old for that) ... we got a guy that, though he will make mistakes, is ready to play right now.

4 - The team was ALREADY GOOD. Say what you want, but this team went 6-10 last year, beating the Gmen twice, taking the Pats to the wire (good QB wins that) and almost beating the Cowboys twice. This team has and had plenty of young talent ... where losing those picks isnt detrimental.

5 - ShanAllen draft really well. All three years ... great picks throughout the draft. While we gave up picks, we still have plenty of draft picks each draft to add talent.

6 - money. Snyder and co. are making plenty of it because of this guy.

Ultimately, we would have snagged some good, valuable players with those picks - we would not have landed a face of the franchise, and we would not have landed a guy who has the ability to shift the balance of power in the NFL.

If you think the jury is out, you need to get a grip (id also be willing to bet you didnt watch enough RGIII at Baylor)

Hey Rams - here's another pick. Thanks for RGIII.

---------- Post added September-13th-2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

good decisions can fail even when the odds favor success. Bad decision sometimes beat the odds and succeed. So, we can't use the outcome to pass judgment on a decision made without a cystal ball. Besides, we won't ever know how much value the skins might have gotten from three ones and a two if they hadn't been spent on rg3. So, there will never be a way to draw a comparison to his production.

No matter what our opinions are, we can't be proven right or wrong.

bull s***.

Archived