Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do people still think we overpaid for Griffin?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

On the football section of another hockey forum, people mocked and derided the call.

Anyone who isn't a Redskins fans understands that we gave up a lot, but we had to, because the quarterbacks we had at the time were bad. When you have a chance to get a huge upgrade, you do that. I don't regret it one bit

He has the potential to be the QB hero this town needs!

I think the proof is still in the pudding. If he wins a SuperBowl for us this entire thing will be an afterthought. I also believe that Shanahan and Allen are on the hunt to add new draft picks to the mix via trades (players and picks)... so who knows what the true impact of our moves for Griffin will be as of RIGHT NOW. We could end up with even more picks than if we had just sat tight because they are obviously planning this whole thing around Griffin.

Plus, it's 2012 and the world is ending, so why are we even worried about future draft picks?:evilg:

We swapped firsts this past draft and the Rams actually traded that pick away for a lower pick. Who knows where our pick will land. I think too many people who were against trading that many firsts are assuming the picks in 2013 and 2014 will be top 10 picks. I think the 2013 pick will be in the teens and the 2014 pick will be in the 20s. While you can get some solid players with those picks, they aren't going to be franchise changing picks. The two guys they ended up with using our picks this year is Brockers and Janoris Jenkins. Two good players, but not world beaters and considering that the Rams depth was worse than ours before this year, those two guys will instantly make them better just based on what they had (or didn't have if you want to look at it that way,)

Not exactly a good analogy. You can't scout lotteries and whether you win is completely random.

True not the best analogy, but I think it serves its function. No matter how much you scout, it's always a calculated risk. Assuming you did your scouting right, the risk analysis doesn't change even if you defy the odds and hit it big.

Personally, I think if RG3 becomes elite (top 5 QB), then it was easily worth the price to get him. Problem is, we can't tell this early on.

What I don't get about the "overpay" crowd: They don't seem to understand that we're not talking about WR, or RB. We're talking about the hardest, most important position in the entire world of sports, for which there is absolutely no comparison.

We're talking about a position that has 3 truly elite people in the entire world capable of doing their job at the highest level almost every week, with perhaps 8 QBs good enough to win a Super Bowl.

We're talking about a position from which the drop-off from Elite to Very Good is big, and the drop off from Very Good to Average might as well be the Grand Canyon.

Almost no price was too much for RG3, even with the risk involved, because the choice was "Never Win a Super Bowl" or "Have a Chance." We were NEVER going to be bad enough to have the first or second pick, which is what it would have taken to get a franchise QB in the future, and one most likely without RG3's physical gifts.

We. Got. A. Steal.

We have, potentially, a 10-14 year window that has JUST OPENED.

Worst case scenario: RG3 busts (don't see it happening), and we're back in the exact same boat we were 3 years ago with no first rounders and a new coach on the carousel.

Best Case: We become immediate contenders to win the NFC East, and we get multiple shots at a Super Bowl, winning 3+ over the next 12 years. We begin to build depth and stockpile draft picks (a la New England). We develop the ability to have "luxury" picks, and draft a shut-down CB, a killer FS, and a young headhunting MLB. Mike S. stays with the team for several years, and continuity is maintained when he retires as Snyder hands the keys to the car to Kyle after Mike retires. The 'Skins become a dynasty compared to the early Packers and the Bradshaw Steelers. When RG3 retires, a QB currently in 4th grade steps in to take over after having been groomed for a year or two behind him. Around the same time that RG3 is being inducted into the HoF, the 'Skins are winning their eighth Super Bowl title.

...now, maybe I'm nuts, but after Week One, the second scenario seems more likely than the first. :pfft::point2sky

Let's just be thankful to have a guy with such upside as Sam Bradford has to be the QB of the Rams. Can you imagine if Sam Bradford was in the same situation as Colt McCoy in Cleveland is in?

Rams would've never made that trade with us if they felt they were in need of a QB. I think both teams won out of this situation. The Rams will be greatly improved once they cash in all those picks for starters and/or depth in the upcoming drafts.

Our situation was, we knew our D+ team could be a B team if only we had a QB change. Shanny did such a great job the last 2 years getting rid of dead weight and adding productive pieces and finding diamonds in the rough. It was well worth the price we paid but we could be looking at Garrad, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb or Matt Moore as our starting QB right now if we didn't pay what we paid.

No, we paid the going rate... its not often there are comparable players and deals made to compare against anyways.

Regardless its too early to properly grade a move of this magnitude, which spans years of top picks.

I totally disagree with the assumption that "we paid the going rate." To move up to the #2 pick doesn't require to give up a swap of #1 picks this year and two over the next two years plus second round picks unless you are outbidding another desperate team to get a high caliber QB talent. Yes, it was a desperate move by the Redskins but the gamble was worth the risk. Cleveland just wasn't willing to give up that much no matter what they say because their owner is cheap. Look at their team and who they have drafted over the years and who is in charge of those drafts. Mike Holmgren isn't known for being a great GM.

So RGIII was all that the Redskins hoped he would be. Yes, it is still to early to tell how good he will be. Another good thing is that we did get a steal in the draft in the name of Kirk Cousins which is the #2 QB. I guess you could say that he is our Matt Flynn or Matt Shaub because he is really good also. Don't make my comments out to mean I want Cousins to start over RGIII because they are not meant to mean that. I am just saying that we finally have some stability at QB that we can trust in case RGIII gets injured. Rex was the #3 QB last game which to me spells the end for him after this year. The same thing that happened to Portis, Cooley and Sellers before they were released. Cooley was the hardest release by Shanahan but Grossman won't be that hard.

Anything outside of a couple of super bowls and we will have over paid. At the end of the day we overpaid but we got what we needed(hopefully) which justifies it.

I disagree-- most franchises would gladly give up 3 first-round picks and a #2 if it led to hoisting the Lombardi trophy just once.

Nope. The alternatives would have been either could have settled on Tannehill or Weeden (or maybe suck it up with Rex while hoping/praying Kirk Cousins is the next Andy Dalton).

For a chance to have a guy like RG3 on our team, no price was too big.

Anything outside of a couple of super bowls and we will have over paid. At the end of the day we overpaid but we got what we needed(hopefully) which justifies it.

No dude. The last time we won a Super Bowl was 21 years ago. At this point you do anything in your power to get another one, even if it's only one. You can't afford to be stingy.

LOL, watching Weeden get tackled by a flag pretty much confirmed my confidence in our trade.

A 5.1 passer rating setting the record low for a QB debut. You bet Cleveland would now offer a lot more for RGIII... Time will tell but geez, you couldn't have scripted it any better for the 'Skins and worse for the Clowns.

I disagree-- most franchises would gladly give up 3 first-round picks and a #2 if it led to hoisting the Lombardi trophy just once.

My point exactly, I may have gone nuts with the "couple" but most teams would over pay for something in a heartbeat if it meant getting a super bowl trophy. I just don't see overpaying being a bad thing in this scenario.

Let's say that our decision has two options A and B. Option A has a 70% chance of success, Option B has a 35% chance of success. Option A is the right decision. The outcome isn't going to change that.

In other words If Option A fails, it was still the right decision. If Option B succeeds, it was still the wrong decision because, without a crystal ball, we make decisions based on which is the most likely to succeed.

I thought we overpaid, and the outcome of the decision isn't going to change my mind.

Two things guided my opinion:

1) Draft picks are like a budget. Building a strong roster requires that we try to make each and every transaction a bargain.

2) I don't value the QB position as highly as most fans. QBs have been telling us for decades that they get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. I agree with them.

My point exactly, I may have gone nuts with the "couple" but most teams would over pay for something in a heartbeat if it meant getting a super bowl trophy. I just don't see overpaying being a bad thing in this scenario.

That's the way I feel. They had to overpay in a similar fashion that the Nats had to overpay for Jason Werth. Both are culture changing moves.

We never overpaid. Draft picks are devalued one round when they are for next year's draft and 2 rounds for next, next year's. So, we really gave up 2 second rounders and a third in present value to move up.

It's not like those future first rounders are guaranteed to be converted into difference-makers. There's a Hell of a drop off between the top and bottom of the first round. So, we really have no idea what we paid for Griffin at this point until we see where those picks land and which players would have been available. I'll take Griffin over 3 generic first round picks any day,

This my feeling about the whole situation. Only time will tell.

I know it is only one game but if RGIII plays 75% as good as he did Sunday and doesn't get hurt the rest of the year I bet Holmgren loses his job for not offering more in the trade to get the 2nd pick from the Rams. There is propably more to it than just that but it will propably be the icing on the cake. The QB guru Holmgren has drafted MCcoy and Weeden, picked up a bunch of mediocre WR's as high draft picks and really I think the Browns were better off before he got there.

Archived