Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do people still think we overpaid for Griffin?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Vegas sets the line. The line may move due to bettors, but Vegas sets the line first according to how they think the game will go. If a QB goes out, the line moves. If other players go out, it hardly moves. That's gotta tell you something. Vegas makes their NFL money by wins and losses, They know how important a QB is and so does Mike Shanahan. Thats why he traded up. You've made a ton of post that try to devalue a QBs significance to their teams and none of your arguments against them hold much water. There is a F ton of evidence that the QB is the most valuable player by far on the field. Look at how the NFL rules are skewed. They want to keep the most important players healthy and available because if the starting QBs aren't on the field it hurts their product.

I know you'll disagree, but that's fine, you may. I just disagree with you.

Vegas sets the line. The line may move due to bettors, but Vegas sets the line first according to how they think the game will go. If a QB goes out, the line moves. If other players go out, it hardly moves. That's gotta tell you something.
Yes, it does tell me something. It tells me that the people who set the line know how much emphasis the typical fan-bettor puts on the QB.
There is a F ton of evidence that the QB is the most valuable player by far on the field. Look at how the NFL rules are skewed. They want to keep the most important players healthy and available because if the starting QBs aren't on the field it hurts their product.
Can you quote me? Where did I deny that the QB position was the most important?
I know you'll disagree, but that's fine, you may. I just disagree with you.
Sure. That's okay.

Yes, it does tell me something. It tells me that the people who set the line know how much emphasis the typical fan-bettor puts on the Q.

Can you quote me? Where did I deny that the QB position isn't the most important?

Sure. That's okay.

C'mon OF, you've made a bunch of posts that the QB positon is overvalued by most people. That's what this whole argument comes down to. Is an extraordinary QB worth giving up the chance to draft first round talent at other positions in the next two drafts. The answer to that question is unequivocally yes if you're not busy undervaluing the QB position as I've see you do time and time again.

And Vegas doesn't set the lines according to how they think Bettors value the QB's, they set the lines according to whom they think will win. Stop being silly.

C'mon OF, you've made a bunch of posts that the QB positon is overvalued by most people. That's what this whole argument comes down to. Is an extraordinary QB worth giving up the chance to draft first round talent at other positions in the next two drafts. The answer to that question is unequivocally yes if you're not busy undervaluing the QB position as I've see you do time and time again.
The QB position is the most important.

Most fans overvalue the QB position.

Those two statements are not in conflict. They say two entirely different things. IMO, both are true.

The QB position is the most important.

Most fans overvalue the QB position.

Those two statements are not in conflict. They say two entirely different things.

Well that's the crux of the argument in this thread isn't it? The degree to which a QB is valued. Most people would say the cost is justified. Not only on this board, but around the NFL you hear all kinds of people say that it was. After two games no less. A lot of times in life the majority is right and this is one of those times.

im in patriots country here so i fully expect bias opinions just as mine is bias in favor of the redskins, but one of the things ive been asking patriots fans is, if they were a g.m and building a team today, if they could pick one to build around which qb would they take, rg3 or brady.

I can not believe how many of them told me brady and it was a no brainer, because rg3 hasnt proven anything.

As if age was not even a consideration.

Two of them last night actually said they would take brady over arron rodgers, talk about homerism.

...And Vegas doesn't set the lines according to how they think Bettors value the QB's, they set the lines according to whom they think will win. Stop being silly.
Here's an explanation of what the bookmaker's are trying to do when they set the line:
Bookmaker's interest - In order to guarantee a profit for the house, a bookie needs to create even action on both sides of a particular game. In a perfect world the bookie would have 50 percent of the handle come in on the underdog and 50 percent on the favorite. This ensures that the sports books are guaranteed a profit because of the 10 percent commission or "vigorish" charged on most sports wagers. This is why there is "movement" on the point spread. If one side on a game is being bet more heavily, the bookie must move the number in order to attract interest on the other side in order to balance action.

---------- Post added September-23rd-2012 at 12:33 PM ----------

Well that's the crux of the argument in this thread isn't it? The degree to which a QB is valued. Most people would say the cost is justified. Not only on this board, but around the NFL you hear all kinds of people say that it was. After two games no less. A lot of times in life the majority is right and this is one of those times.
1) You have no idea what most people would say and 2) Since most people would overvalue the QB position, you could be right.

Archived