Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do people still think we overpaid for Griffin?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

It sure as heck doesnt look like it after game 1, but it is still way too early to tell. He palyed great, better than I hoped, but even if he turns out to be the best QB of all time, it still doesnt mean the team did not overpay for Griffin. He is not signed to a 15 year deal, he could leave the team after his first contract is up and go somewhere else as a FA, would all the people who think we didn't overpay for RGIII still think so if he is only a Skin for 4 years? Also, this is his first NFL game, you have to wait until he plays a division rival a second time in one year before claming he is an unstoppable force that is impossible to game plan for. I hope he becomes like that, and again it looks like he will, but still too early to tell.

This team still lacks not only depth but could use upgrades on a few starter, and the team now has 2 less first round picks to go get that talent cheaply. This team could use some new starters on the O line, D line, and secondary to begin with, and I am not sold on any of the WR's past Garcon. In fact I get a little bit of a felling of Santana Moss 2.0, where the team has a good #1, but the drop off to #2 is huge and defenses start double teaming garcon shutting him down while the #2 on the other side of the field is not good enough to get separation in one on one or find the hole in the zone. RGIII threw 13 passes to WR's in game one, 4 to Garcon & 4 to his replacemnt Robinson for a total of 8 to the #1 WR. Moss caught 3, Morgan & Banks 1 each, which is over 60% of passes to WR's going to the #1.

Now RGIII's talent and ability can cover some other shortcomings on the team, but not all. My one fear with him is that the Skins are not able to get enough good pieces around him quickly enough, that results in either RG3 not wanting to be part of the Skins or gets him hurt to teh point where he isn't the same QB he was before. Even if he stays here 10 years and wins 10+ games a season but loses in the first or second round of the playoffs everytime because the team could not put players around him, some would argue that the skins overpaid.

I am really splitting hairs here with the what ifs, but again, way too early to tell. I sure as heck hope the skins didnt over pay and RG3 plays as good as people project him to be, but I wont think about this much at all this season, I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

We paid a lot, but Bob Griffin looks like he was worth every penny. Would all of those guys add up to the level of talent and potential talent that we've seen? Time will tell. But, I have no remorse and I love having RG3 on my team. I would have been so pissed off if he had done all of that in a Browns jersey.

We paid a historically high price, and it looks like we will have a historically good QB.

Time will tell the whole story.

Even at the time, I thought you had to try something. You're conventionally overpaying, but you're overpaying because it's worth it to you. So are you really overpaying?

Look, quarterbacks don't win games by themselves, but without a good QB, the rest of the team doesn't matter. They're the key to unlocking the possibility of being good. When's the last time the Skins had a truly good quarterback? I might make an argument for Brad Johnson, but I don't think you have an uncontroversial choice until you get to Theisman.

So even if they got the wrong guy, I'm glad they made the move. I'm even more glad it looks like Bob might be the right guy.

Here's a wild question: would you trade Griffin straight-up for any other player in the NFL right now?

Honestly, and I realize this sounds crazy after just one game, but I don't think I would. He has too much upside.

This morning on drive-time SF Bay Area sports radio, John Madden called Griffin the best player in the NFL. Pretty good praise...

I think we underpaid for once. When can get a player that everyone believes in and excites it's priceless. Then to have it that player at the QB position is tremendous. These days are not like the old ones. Where it was smashmouth. In your face type of game. And for to hold that stance is crazy. The QB position is the Most Important Position In The NFL. Case in point SF. And yeah I brought up SF because they are the perfect example. SF is built around a run game and defense. But won them and lost them their most important games of last year? That's right the QB. They wouldn't have won vs the Saints if it wasn't for Alex Smith playing out of his mind that game. Matter fact the last play was his TD pass. He played Elite in that game. Next game he played like trash. This the point no matter how good your defense is or run game and line is. If you don't have a QB that can consistently play at a high level when it matters than sorry you're not winning in this NFL.

Here's a wild question: would you trade Griffin straight-up for any other player in the NFL right now?

Honestly, and I realize this sounds crazy after just one game, but I don't think I would.

It's still a good point, but Aaron Rodgers is a no brainer.

Let's see who Grantland suggests is worth more in a trade...

16. Bob Griffin

15. Philip Rivers -- close, but no

14. Ben Roethlisberger -- close, but no

13. Joe Thomas -- no

12. Calvin Johnson -- closer, still no

11. Patrick Peterson -- no

10. Clay Matthews -- no, but I feel like I should consider it. Still no.

9. Matt Ryan -- kidding?

8. Cam Newton -- again, kidding me?

7. DeMarcus Ware -- closer

6. Darrelle Revis -- Can the Jets throw in a third rounder?

5. Eli Manning -- Tough, but no

4. Andrew Luck -- kidding?

3. Drew Brees -- okay, even with last week, yes, but I could be wrong.

2. Tom Brady -- no. But only b/c I hate Brady.

1. Aaron Rodgers -- yes. Like Laveranues said, "Why are you calling me?" You take this deal. Potential is one thing. Aaron Rodgers is another. Brees of two years ago too.

So that's one I know's better, three (including Rodgers) that I probably should trade for Bob, and maybe 5-7 more than I would take a second to consider before saying no.

That's a pretty good pick.

2) I don't value the QB position as highly as most fans. QBs have been telling us for decades that they get too much credit or wins and too much blame for losses. I agree with them.

That statement falls into the category of sportsmanship. Of course a QB isn't going to come out and say "Man if it wasn't for me this team would have lost". Part of being a QB is being a leader. That statement is just lip service. Nowadays with the high octane offenses in this league QB is more important than ever. Besides there is no sure thing that the two firsts we traded would have even panned out for us. There are 7 rounds in a draft. And free agency, which is also vital to building a team.

We payed a really steep price, but it was worth it (as it stands right now). I guess what I hate about it most is that the next two(!) years offseason/draft time are going to be so much more boring. Free agency will be fun as always, but I am really going to miss the draft debates and the whole draft process in the offseason, I absolutely love it. It will still be there but talking about 2nd round prospects not as fun as talking about the college football all stars and high draft selections.

16. Bob Griffin,15. Philip Rivers -- close, but no, 14. Ben Roethlisberger -- close, but no, 13. Joe Thomas -- no, 12. Calvin Johnson -- closer, still no, 11. Patrick Peterson -- no, 10. Clay Matthews -- no, but I feel like I should consider it. Still no., 9. Matt Ryan -- kidding?, 8. Cam Newton -- again, kidding me?, 7. DeMarcus Ware -- closer, 6. Darrelle Revis -- Can the Jets throw in a third rounder?, 5. Eli Manning -- Tough, but no, 4. Andrew Luck -- kidding?, 3. Drew Brees -- okay, even with last week, yes, but I could be wrong., 2. Tom Brady -- no. But only b/c I hate Brady., 1. Aaron Rodgers -- yes. Like Laveranues said, "Why are you calling me?" You take this deal. Potential is one thing. Aaron Rodgers is another. Brees of two years ago too.

So that's one I know's better, three (including Rodgers) that I probably should trade for Bob, and maybe 5-7 more than I would take a second to consider before saying no.

That's a pretty good pick.

I'd take any of the QBs ahead of him if they had their current skills, but were 25 or younger (excluding Manning, because screw him; Newton, because ours is better; and Luck because we got the better of the two prospects :pfft:). If we have to take them at their current age, then yeah, only Rodgers, though Ryan might get consideration if he consistently plays like last week (including in the playoffs, but that's the problem...). Big Ben, Rivers, Manning, Brees, and Brady are all on the wrong side of 30.

Also, how in the friggity-frag is Mike "32 y.o. and only played 16 games once in his career" Vick ahead of Jay Cutler?

Big Ben, Rivers, Manning, Brees, and Brady are all on the wrong side of 30.

Yep, that's why those names make me stop and think, but ultimately I wouldn't want them to give Griffin away for those guys until you get to Brees and Brady. And I'm not sure about Brees.

But then I don't think anybody but the Chargers would trade their guy for Griffin either.

Absolutely worth the cost. He'll hit a valley eventually and a lot of the naysayers will crawl out of the woodwork to boo-hoo the trade, but I think he was absolutely worth the cost.

---------- Post added September-13th-2012 at 12:06 AM ----------

I'd also say you should watch Tannehill and Weeden's game this past weekend, and then ask yourself if we really overpaid.

No.

It's still going to be irritating to watch the next 2 drafts. Then again, ShannyAllen's drafts have shown to be 'eventful' so to speak throughout the later rounds. If the problem now is "less ammo to get RG3 weapons", I'd tell you we get weapons in nearly any round. He's already likely to benefit from a 6th round running back. The question is: does it absolutely have to be first round talent to suitably build around Rob. History shows it doesn't have to be, and it seems to be even more likely with Shannahan. Still, no doubt we will be irritated when there's some great safety sitting at the Rams pick that was once ours. I'm thinking Rob will do more than enough to make us, well, not give a ****.

Archived