Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2012-13 NBA THREAD!!! New Season/New Thread - LET'S GO!!!!!***

RonArtest15

After his performance tonight late, I'm happy for LeBron, but disappointed the Sports Gods gave a ring to a bunch of quitter fans.  Miami walks out on its own team and then gets a ring.  That sucks.  But LeBron has cemented his legacy as far as I'm concerned.  San Antonio will look back at Game 6.  One more FT, one more rebound or one less turnover and they win.  Oh well, they can watch tapes of 99 03 05 and 07 to ease the pain tonight.

The Heat fan base is sketchy.  It is flat out bad karma that they bounced early from a winnable game in the FINALS.  Even if your team loses, stay to the end, and show some class by congratulating your team for the wonderful season they just gave you.

Miami has a lame ass basketball culture compared to NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, Boston, San Antonio, Indiana, and LA and practically every other city in the NBA really.  At every single level of the sport, I think Miami's bball culture is one of the worst in the NBA, the city is so undeserving of having this lightning in a bottle captured right in their midst.  Actually come to think of it, Miami's sports culture in general is bad outside of H.S. football.  The U couldn't even fill up their stadium when they were a yearly contender.

Whatever.  Winning helps.  Maybe LeBron will make some inroads there and help create a worthy culture and classy, loyal fan base for later generations.  Maybe he can generate a basketball renaissance there down to the youth level.

In their last home game of this season, after watching a game but undermanned team give a herculean effort, the Chicago Bulls fans fled the United Center like it was on fire in the final quarter. The lower bowl was nearly empty with more than five minutes to go.

Tuesday night in Miami a couple hundred in attendance, out of 20,000+, leave early. Watch the overtime again, you will struggle to find empty seats. 

Some of you really need to get a life.

In their last home game of this season, after watching a game but undermanned team give a herculean effort, the Chicago Bulls fans fled the United Center like it was on fire in the final quarter. The lower bowl was nearly empty with more than five minutes to go.

Tuesday night in Miami a couple hundred in attendance, out of 20,000+, leave early. Watch the overtime again, you will struggle to find empty seats. 

People need to get a life for posting something on a forum that took all of 10 seconds?

After his performance tonight late, I'm happy for LeBron, but disappointed the Sports Gods gave a ring to a bunch of quitter fans.  Miami walks out on its own team and then gets a ring.  That sucks.  But LeBron has cemented his legacy as far as I'm concerned.  San Antonio will look back at Game 6.  One more FT, one more rebound or one less turnover and they win.  Oh well, they can watch tapes of 99 03 05 and 07 to ease the pain tonight.

Whatever.  Winning helps.  

Simplified it for you. That's the only thing that matters...

Winning

History of winning

Age of the franchise

Things to do in the city the team plays in

The people who live there

No team ever got any kind of "Loyal" fan support by not winning, and not having great players. That's it. That's all there is. There is already a fanbase there, and it has been there long before Lebron James. I honestly don't really understand this perception that is allowed to exist in professional sports. It's a lie. A straight up lie.

There is very little loyalty. There is plenty of entitlement, masquerading as loyalty. It's easy to be loyal when you have a long and storied history of winning championships, even if you suck (you can just watch YouTube clips, and live off of nostalgia wiht your head up your ass. It's easy to be loyal when many teams in your city have had tons of great players, and one team has won damn near half (seemingly) of the titles in one sport. There's nothing "Loyal" about some jagoff crying to the local talk radio guy about how his life is horrible because his super awesome team missed the playoffs once out of the last 10-15 years. That's called entitlement. True loyalty is sticking by your team, knowing they have no hope, year after year. There are very few "Super Duper fans" out there who can lay claim to that

Everyone take notice of how every "Great sports town full of great sports fans" has a long history of winning. People are fickle/stupid, and in some cases just straight retarded, and they want to make themselves feel special as a group.. About 98% of fans fall into that category.  Give them a 2,3,4 year playoff drought and then see how loyal they are. In pro sports, no one wants to make rich people richer by supporting their crappy product. They have lives, and would rather spend it doing something fruitful and worthwhile, and not tearing their hair out, and fantasizing about pipe dreams that will never come true.

And I really don't want to here another word about loyal Boston/Chicago/NY/LA fans They are all spoiled ****es. The Bulls could've gone 10 years without making the playoffs, and I still wouldn't have given a damn. BTW, maybe LKB can answer this , but how good was Chicago's basketball culture before MJ arrived? I would really like to know the answer to that, to see if there indeed was a vibrant, ever so visible basketball culture, or if it was built from the ground up by Jordan.

As for the Pacers, nostalgia can be a very very bad thing. It can cause you to watch Hoosiers, then watch a couple clips of Reggie Miller against the Knicks, then play a little NBA Jam, then see the fans decked out all in their Gold Swagger during the ECF, and it'll cause you to think "Man, the Pacers sure do have great fans!" when in reality, they have had some of the worst for years... years.

Don't worry about Miami's fanbase. This franchise is still young, and already has more history, and championships than franchises that have been around for decades and decades, along with a fanbase that will keep growing as the years go by. I don't understand the "That city doesn't deserve the Heat" crap anyway, especially on here. I asked quite a few of you (before The Decision) if you would like to see James play for the Wizards, and you said no. So you don't want him, but you think another city doesn't deserve him??? Because of something that happened long enough ago that people really neeed to move on with their lives???

People need to get a life for posting something on a forum that took all of 10 seconds?

I think the point of his post sailed right over your head, champ...

Winning

History of winning

Age of the franchise

No team ever got any kind of "Loyal" fan support by not winning, and not having great players. That's it. That's all there is. There is already a fanbase there, and it has been there long before Lebron James. I honestly don't really understand this perception that is allowed to exist in professional sports. It's a lie. A straight up lie.

eagles-for-assembler.jpg?w=400

Happy for Lebron. He is the epitome of one of the greatest of all-time. The pressure this guy faces day in and day out because of all of the media outlest, social media, radio, etc would break most athletes.

Not many athletes have faced the scrutiny he has and used it as motivation the way he has.

Congrats Lebron. You have pissed a lot of people off. Good for you.

There are plenty of teams out there that have a loyal fan base that haven't won anything recently.  I also wouldn't call the majority of Heat fans, true Heat fans but more LeBron fans.  Half of the people that talk about the Heat weren't there 4 years ago- they weren't there during the times with Bimbo Coles, Zo, PJ Brown, Tim Hardaway, Vashon Lenard, Mashburn, etc.

Do you remember when all of the Cavs fans came out of nowhere when LeBron came into the league?  Yeah, those are Heat fans now.  They will become a fan of another team if/when LeBron leaves Miami.

Following players around doesn't define a fan of a team, that's a fan of certain players. 

Wizards?  How about the browns!  They left and became the Ravens.  The new team took on the Browns name and became... well they became the Browns.  Their fans are crazy.  

Also NBA players reading mean tweets 

Winning

History of winning

Age of the franchise

There is very little loyalty. There is plenty of entitlement, masquerading as loyalty. It's easy to be loyal when you have a long and storied history of winning championships, even if you suck (you can just watch YouTube clips, and live off of nostalgia wiht your head up your ass. It's easy to be loyal when many teams in your city have had tons of great players, and one team has won damn near half (seemingly) of the titles in one sport. There's nothing "Loyal" about some jagoff crying to the local talk radio guy about how his life is horrible because his super awesome team missed the playoffs once out of the last 10-15 years. That's called entitlement. True loyalty is sticking by your team, knowing they have no hope, year after year. There are very few "Super Duper fans" out there who can lay claim to that

Everyone take notice of how every "Great sports town full of great sports fans" has a long history of winning. People are fickle/stupid, and in some cases just straight retarded, and they want to make themselves feel special as a group.. About 98% of fans fall into that category.  Give them a 2,3,4 year playoff drought and then see how loyal they are. In pro sports, no one wants to make rich people richer by supporting their crappy product. They have lives, and would rather spend it doing something fruitful and worthwhile, and not tearing their hair out, and fantasizing about pipe dreams that will never come true.

And I really don't want to here another word about loyal Boston/Chicago/NY/LA fans They are all spoiled ****es. The Bulls could've gone 10 years without making the playoffs, and I still wouldn't have given a damn. BTW, maybe LKB can answer this , but how good was Chicago's basketball culture before MJ arrived? I would really like to know the answer to that, to see if there indeed was a vibrant, ever so visible basketball culture, or if it was built from the ground up by Jordan.

As for the Pacers, nostalgia can be a very very bad thing. It can cause you to watch Hoosiers, then watch a couple clips of Reggie Miller against the Knicks, then play a little NBA Jam, then see the fans decked out all in their Gold Swagger during the ECF, and it'll cause you to think "Man, the Pacers sure do have great fans!" when in reality, they have had some of the worst for years... years.

Don't worry about Miami's fanbase. This franchise is still young, and already has more history, and championships than franchises that have been around for decades and decades, along with a fanbase that will keep growing as the years go by. I don't understand the "That city doesn't deserve the Heat" crap anyway, especially on here. I asked quite a few of you (before The Decision) if you would like to see James play for the Wizards, and you said no. So you don't want him, but you think another city doesn't deserve him??? Because of something that happened long enough ago that people really neeed to move on with their lives???

No.  It's not just about having great pro teams.  Miami has had those.

It's Miami.  

It's a flat out crappy sports town outside of H.S. football.  The town's support of the U and the Dolphins is lukewarm even though they are two of the most storied teams in the history of their respective levels of competition.  The U would be in the middle of an undefeated season and you'd see empty seats everywhere during a conference game.  And somehow, baseball is even worse than football.  The support of the Marlins is downright pathetic and one of the biggest jokes in sports even though the team has won TWO world series in recent history and Miami baseball was a powerhouse that's won four National Championships and made the CWS almost every year for decades.  And they've got a huge Latin American population.

After the merger, and before and after the Reggie Miller era, the Pacer's have largely been irrelevant.  The Wizards have been a near continuous laughing stock since that '78 title team.  The 76ers have had one great season since the Dr. J & Moses Malone era.  The Knicks have ranged from being a big disappointment to a terrible joke since the 70's.  And yet NY, DC, Philly, and Indiana remain four of the greatest basketball regions in the country.  It's a rich and authentic basketball culture that goes all of the way down to the youth level.  LA, Boston, and Chicago all have it too.  Parts of Texas have it.  North Carolina is a basketball Mecca and look at the history of pro basketball in NC!

Miami simply lacks this.

And to think Lebron was about 28 seconds away from becoming a choke artist in game 6 with those two possessions he messed up. But he bounced back in a mean way. Earlier in the game last night, I told somebody that the Spurs should just keep letting Lebron shoot. And that's what they did, unfortunately for them, he kept knocking them down.

But it's two people that I am mad at.

1.Danny Green

Well I am not necessarily mad at him, but it's just so frustrating to see him miss the shots in game 7 that went in games 1-5.

2.Ginobili

He wasn't as bad as he was in game 6, but he still had some wtf moments.

I give props to Lebron and the rest of Miami, but it is one person who deserves major props too....

Erik-Spoelstra-sideline-2.jpg

Dude earned major props from me this year. I still remember when the big three was formed. Everybody was like, "how this clown going to coach Lebron, Wade, and Bosh?" But he found a way and he went to three straight finals. We can say that the East is a weak conference and he had the best player in the world yada yada yada. But dude has brought it. He seems to make the right moves at the right time. He gets forever props from me.

But yeah, Ginobili sucks....

Eagles Logo

The Eagles have at least won a bunch of division championships and playoff games recently. I'll see your Eagles logo and raise you this:

539px-Washington_Wizards_Logo.svg.png

Been a near-constant laughing stock for over thirty years.

I heard that of all the Heat and Spurs players on the rosters in last night's game, only two were alive the last time the Wizards won the championship.

WOOO!!! what a game last night, and what a great feeling to get another ring for the king... Man I couldn't sit still after game last night, my boy showed up and got it done.

Tim Duncan, I feel so sorry for him, one of the best players the NBA has ever seen and he left it all out there but just fell short. I never like the Spurs, only Duncan, but they sure as hell gained more respect from me after this series. Congrats to them for their Western Confrence Championship!

LeBron played his heart out last night and hit his jumpers, D.Wade played well also and put up good numbers, Bosh's defense was better than most games against Duncan but his O wasn't there unfortunately.

Congrats to my boys for bringing home another trophy!

Let's Go Heat!!!!

WOOO!!! what a game last night, and what a great feeling to get another ring for the king... Man I couldn't sit still after game last night, my boy showed up and got it done.

Tim Duncan, I feel so sorry for him, one of the best players the NBA has ever seen and he left it all out there but just fell short. I never like the Spurs, only Duncan, but they sure as hell gained more respect from me after this series. Congrats to them for their Western Confrence Championship!

LeBron played his heart out last night and hit his jumpers, D.Wade played well also and put up good numbers, Bosh's defense was better than most games against Duncan but his O wasn't there unfortunately.

Congrats to my boys for bringing home another trophy!

Let's Go Heat!!!!

For all D. Wade did, he was still a -2 for the game. It was the LeBron and Battier show.

For all D. Wade did, he was still a -2 for the game. It was the LeBron and Battier show.

What is the odds that for two years straight, a role player hit 6 threes in a finals clinching win for the Heat. It was so maddening lol

Especially with it being a Duke player. It will probably be over looked cause people like to slurp up superstars, but this series was also  about certain role players stepping up huge. Green for the Spurs and Ray Allen and Battier for the Heat.

What is the odds that for two years straight, a role player hit 6 threes in a finals clinching win for the Heat. It was so maddening lol

Especially with it being a Duke player. It will probably be over looked cause people like to slurp up superstars, but this series was also  about certain role players stepping up huge. Green for the Spurs and Ray Allen and Battier for the Heat.

And about Giniobili falling down :(

That might have been the best NBA Finals since 1984. I need to think about it, but that's where my mind is now. These two teams are just so good at basketball.

I agree with SteveMcQueen that searching for a goat is the kind of thing Skip Bayless would do. Don't be Skip Bayless. He doesn't watch sports to see people win. He watches sports to see people lose. What's the point in that? Tim Duncan didn't miss that little hook because he choked. He missed that shot because he missed that shot.

Ginobli had a dreadful Game 6. His team also wins 98 percent of the time in that situation. And he played really well last night. That turnover at the end was what happens when the things you have done for 20 years suddenly don't quite work any more. Age is undefeated in sports.

That kind of thinking is also what creates false narratives like "Lebron's not clutch." Did you see the numbers he has put up in elimination games in his career? You did? Good. Then let's move on with our lives.

It might have been injury. It might have been Lebron's defense. But Tony Parker vanished in this series. It's a testament to how good the Spurs are that they kept scoring with Parker creating the easy looks they are accustomed to.

It will be interesting to see where Leonard's career goes from here. You can make a lot of money for a long time in the NBA if you do one thing really well. He already does two things (defend the wing and rebound) at an elite level. He is a pretty good scorer and shooter already. It's entirely possible that he makes six or seven All Star games in his career. On the bus back to the hotel, he probably deflected a pass just out of habit.

With the weird criteria used by the Basketball Hall of Fame (looking at college as well as the pros), Shane Battier is going to be a Hall of Famer. That's kind of bizarre to think about, isn't it?

This discussion on fanbases is stupid. I think there are maybe four truly loyal fanbases in all of professional sports. And one of those should not count.

1. Cubs

2. Browns

3. Trailblazers

4. Packers

The Packers don't count because that's not really a football team - it's a small town cult. The Blazers barely count since they are usually pretty good and are the only team in the city. Cubs fans and Browns fans fill their stadiums year after year for no clear reason.

Everyone else is a bandwagon fan base. In the late 90s, you could walk up to the gate at Fenway Park and get pretty much any seat you want. The Redskins had to remove 20,000 seats to keep up the idea that there is a season ticket waiting list.

Miami is a transient/immigrant city with a perfect climate. It's like LA in the sense that you can spend hundreds of dollars to watch a mediocre sporting event.....or roller skate on a beach and maybe have sex with a former homecoming queen from Iowa.

Back to the game....when either Lebron or Wade is hitting jumpers, Miami is difficult to beat. When both are, they are damn near impossible to beat. Yet, San Antonio had a chance to tie the game with under a minute left. On the road. God, these teams were good. Can we keep playing?

Danny Green got a very dramatic lesson in what the concept of "regression to the mean" is all about.

Is JMS still around? I want to hear his thoughts on Lebron's season. (Not bad for a 32-year-old second banana is the likely answer).

Probably pretty good actually. The Heat's offense is built to get guys like Miller, Battier, and Allen wide open threes. If you are hot, you can make a ton of them in a hurry.

It's no weirder than Robert Horry or Steve Kerr having monster playoff games.

Probably pretty good actually. The Heat's offense is built to get guys like Miller, Battier, and Allen wide open threes. If you are hot, you can make a ton of them in a hurry.

It's no weirder than Robert Horry or Steve Kerr having monster playoff games.

I get that LKB, but it was two different people in back to back years hitting the same ridiculous amount of six.

BTW, maybe LKB can answer this , but how good was Chicago's basketball culture before MJ arrived? I would really like to know the answer to that, to see if there indeed was a vibrant, ever so visible basketball culture, or if it was built from the ground up by Jordan.

Jordan joined the Bulls for the 84-85 season. Take a look at their attendance figures in the years leading up to his arrival.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=chi&lg=n

Archived