Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2012-13 NBA THREAD!!! New Season/New Thread - LET'S GO!!!!!***

RonArtest15

I dot understand why Parker barely touches the ball at the end and Manu just decides to take over. Never seen a great/former great player single handedly cost his team a series like Manu.

He was awful every single game except for game 5. why Pop stuck with him so much is inexplicable. Makes no sense at all.

Congrats to the real Heat fans. Enjoy the championship. Was a great season and Lebron played out of his mind tonight

After his performance tonight late, I'm happy for LeBron, but disappointed the Sports Gods gave a ring to a bunch of quitter fans. Miami walks out on its own team and then gets a ring. That sucks. But LeBron has cemented his legacy as far as I'm concerned. San Antonio will look back at Game 6. One more FT, one more rebound or one less turnover and they win. Oh well, they can watch rapes of 99 03 05 and 07 to ease the pain tonight.

I said it after game 6. The sports gods do not reward teams that give games away, the spurs did that in game 6 and I never for a second thought they'd win tonight.

I dot understand why Parker barely touches the ball at the end and Manu just decides to take over. Never seen a great/former great player single handedly cost his team a series like Manu.

He was awful every single game except for game 5. why Pop stuck with him so much is inexplicable. Makes no sense at all.

Congrats to the real Heat fans. Enjoy the championship. Was a great season and Lebron played out of his mind tonight

Because Parker had his confidence stolen by Lebron and that injury. Check out his fg% in games 6 and 7.

Manu was a team killer all series.  Period.  1 good game doesn't change that.  His turnovers lost them a title.

Boo. Frickin. Ya.

*Fist bump*

After his performance tonight late, I'm happy for LeBron, but disappointed the Sports Gods gave a ring to a bunch of quitter fans. 

More like Lebron and the Heat earned a ring for a few quitter fans that walked out while the overwhelming majority stayed. But we'll take it!

In other news...Ginobili is a distant relative to Tony Romo sits to pee

I think he did his best to sign for the vet min with Miami next year lol

I still think Ray Allen is a chump for signing with them but honestly the NBA as a whole is a joke now. Won't be long before Wall decides to leave and team up with his superstar trio somewhere.

Great championship for Miami. A war with the Pacers and a war with the Spurs. I'm not a fan of any of these teams but I love good playoff series and the heat gave me two great ones.

Feel bad for Manu. He's the goat, clearly, and that's a terrible way to end a brilliant career if he retires.

Great championship for Miami. A war with the Pacers and a war with the Spurs. I'm not a fan of any of these teams but I love good playoff series and the heat gave me two great ones.

Feel bad for Manu. He's the goat, clearly, and that's a terrible way to end a brilliant career if he retires.

Yeah.  He was a catalyst in three NBA championships and he'll be remembered for being the main reason San Antonio let a title slip away. 

Yeah. He was a catalyst in three NBA championships and he'll be remembered for being the main reason San Antonio let a title slip away.

Check out this résumé:

3x NBA Champion

Euroleague Champion

2x FIBA world Champion

Olympic Gold Medal 2004 (not on a dream team)

Manu is a walking embodiment of global basketball. Today however he's a goat. He was amazingly bad in this series.

Yeah.  He was a catalyst in three NBA championships and he'll be remembered for being the main reason San Antonio let a title slip away. 

I hate this attitude of immediately searching for goats after games like this.  It's the First Take way of talking about sports and it's lame.  Manu is not a goat.  He actually played well tonight.  Miami was just a little bit better of a team, and they won at home in the tightest of series that came down to the final 30 seconds.  There is no goat.  Miami was a little bit better and they had home court advantage and that was the difference.

I hate this attitude of immediately searching for goats after games like this.  It's the First Take way of talking about sports and it's lame.  Manu is not a goat.  He actually played well tonight.  Miami was just a little bit better of a team, and they won at home in the tightest of series that came down to the final 30 seconds.  There is no goat.  Miami was a little bit better and they had home court advantage and that was the difference.

He did cost them Game 6 though.  The 8 turnovers were the difference.  That's the truth.

In other news...Ginobili is a distant relative to Tony Romo sits to pee

I think he did his best to sign for the vet min with Miami next year lol

I still think Ray Allen is a chump for signing with them but honestly the NBA as a whole is a joke now. Won't be long before Wall decides to leave and team up with his superstar trio somewhere.

Not going to happen any time soon.

What Miami did will not happen again for a long time, if ever.

I wonder if people realize how incredibly rare that scenario was.

First: there needs to be a draft class that puts three perennial All NBA players and Olympians in to the NBA at the same time.  This is alone incredibly rare.  They have to come in at the same time so they can hit unrestricted free agency at the same time.  And they all have to play different positions and have their strengths compliment each other.  And at least one of the guys has to have the personality to accept being the third banana, which is going to be extremely rare for a superstar in his prime.

Second: those three players need to be drafted into somewhat unstable situations so that they want to leave after the first 7 or 8 years where their original team owns them.  They need to not sign early second extensions, which means they're unsatisfied with the team.  But their teams can't be too unstable because they need to be able to get good enough to succeed and be super relevant and go to Olympic games with each other to build familiarity and not get traded or let walk or sign with other teams in RGA too early to mess with that timeline of hitting FA at the same time as his Superstar buddies.

Third: those three players have to be good enough that a team will actually plan years in advance to completely clear out the room to sign all three of them outright.  This alone would be incredibly hard to do, and I think that team needs one of those stars already on their roster.

Fourth: those teams which are losing their superstars HAVE to play along and do sign and trades.  What if a team said, "**** it, walk then."??  That superstar player would have to leave the extra year and 30 million dollars on the table.  Which has never been done.  Losing a superstar is pretty hard to do.  The team has to accept that their best option is to trade the guy.

Other teams have tried to exploit star player dissatisfaction to try and build super teams through FA and through trades.  All have failed to build true contenders from doing so.  Aside from Miami, the best teams with sustainable builds did it through the draft and through making modest trades and FA acquisitions.  Same as always.  Good drafting and development is and always will be the surest way to be successful.

He did cost them Game 6 though.  The 8 turnovers were the difference.  That's the truth.

It was a difference.  But SA had chances to win it late no matter his turnovers.  If a couple of long rebounds don't go right into Chris Bosh's and Mike Miller's hands then SA wins that game.  Sometimes it just comes down to the way the ball bounces.  This series pitted the two most evenly matched heavyweight teams since the Boston-LA matchups in 2010 and back in the 80's.  Or maybe Lakers versus the Bad Boys Pistons.  It was just going to come down to who made a few more plays.

Not going to happen any time soon.

I think it is even harder than that.  The other issue I think is just people getting along.  The reports seem to be the three guys are actually friends, and then I think unless somehow there are never major issues (which seems unlikely), I think having somebody like a Pat Riley there helps a ton.

The other reason why it works is I think its important that best player (Lebron in this case) doesn't care too much about scoring.  I think he'd be plenty happy if Bosh and Wade scored more than he did in a series.

And that Wade has his championship already, and they came to his team.  I think being the #2 would be harder if you didn't already have one, and it isn't your town already.

I also don't get the issue with Allen leaving (not your post, but in general).  He and Rondo didn't get along, and the Celtics tried to trade him the year before.  Allen has enough money that he doesn't need to worry about the few extra bucks the Celtics were offering.

As an older player, why would you return to a team where they are building around a younger player that you don't get along, tried to trade you before, and wasn't likely to win the championship?

I completely understand why he left.

Archived