Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2012-13 NBA THREAD!!! New Season/New Thread - LET'S GO!!!!!***

RonArtest15

In their last home game of this season, after watching a game but undermanned team give a herculean effort, the Chicago Bulls fans fled the United Center like it was on fire in the final quarter. The lower bowl was nearly empty with more than five minutes to go.

Tuesday night in Miami a couple hundred in attendance, out of 20,000+, leave early. Watch the overtime again, you will struggle to find empty seats. 

Some of you really need to get a life.

People need to get a life for posting something on a forum that took all of 10 seconds?

I think the point of his post sailed right over your head, champ...

No, I understood exactly what he meant.  He's saying people are finding small things to nitpick about regarding the Heat fanbase and it seems tacky and exaggerated.  To be fair, it sort of is. 

That might have been the best NBA Finals since 1984. I need to think about it, but that's where my mind is now.

Back to the game....when either Lebron or Wade is hitting jumpers, Miami is difficult to beat. When both are, they are damn near impossible to beat. Yet, San Antonio had a chance to tie the game with under a minute left. On the road. God, these teams were good. Can we keep playing?

Danny Green got a very dramatic lesson in what the concept of "regression to the mean" is all about.

Is JMS still around? I want to hear his thoughts on Lebron's season. (Not bad for a 32-year-old second banana is the likely answer).

Whatever, the 2008 Magic would've squashed these two teams.  Greatest team ever assembled. 

In all seriousness, that was one of the best NBA Finals ever.  Two incredibly good teams.

Lol. McD5 references never get old. 

LeBron really stepped it up and took that game. Duncan couldn't do that last night and Ginobli shouldn't have been on the court, he played awful.

Congrads to the Heat and their fair weather fans.

Absolutely nothing tastes sweeter than the bitter tears of a sore loser. ;)

One thing about those attendance number charts....no NBA team really drew fans before the 80s.

Look at the Celtics in the early 70s. They were still winning titles, had maybe the two most beloved Celtics ever in Hondo and Cowens (who should be pointed out were white at a time when that really mattered in the NBA and in Boston), and were basically at 70 percent capacity on most nights.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=bos&lg=N

Holy crap!

The 1983 Cavs averaged 3900 fans per game. I bet the Toledo Mud Hens beat that in 83.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=cle&lg=N

Want to know David Stern got to retire at the precise moment he wanted to? The fact that the Cavs averaged over 16K per game in 2013 is the reason why.

I really don't think people completely understand how indifferent the US was towards the NBA until the early 80s.

One thing about those attendance number charts....no NBA team really drew fans before the 80s.

Look at the Celtics in the early 70s. They were still winning titles, had maybe the two most beloved Celtics ever in Hondo and Cowens (who should be pointed out were white at a time when that really mattered in the NBA and in Boston), and were basically at 70 percent capacity on most nights.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=bos&lg=N

I was referring to the numbers IN the 80's.

Lol. McD5 references never get old. 

LeBron really stepped it up and took that game. Duncan couldn't do that last night and Ginobli shouldn't have been on the court, he played awful.

Congrads to the Heat and their fair weather fans.

Absolutely nothing tastes sweeter than the bitter tears of a sore loser. ;)

I hope they give you the runs  :ols:

Despite rooting for the Bulls, Pacers, and Spurs this spring, I have to give Miami credit for winning the title. They beat some very worthy opponents and got it done. 

The idea that a loss last night would have tarnished LJ's legacy is ridiculous. The "Big 3" came together and won the Eastern Conference 3 times in a row. Once you get into the finals against another conference champion, all bets are off. This assembly of talent became a success the second the Heat survived the Pacers. 

The amount of pressure on LJ is something I've never seen before. It's amazing that he can function. I give him all the credit in the world. I also feel bad that the Spurs couldn't put a bow on their remarkable run of the past decade and a half. But, you can't hang your heads too low after what they accomplished. Duncan will have nightmares about that layup and the entire team will wake up in a cold sweat thinking back to the closing seconds of game 6. 

I think the Redskins lead the league in attendance every year in the 00's and we had 2 winning seasons. 

• "I don’t want to go "Ring - Chasing" as I call it, you know. Going to a team that’s already pretty established and trying to win a ring with them. I want to stay with the Cavs and build a champion." - LeBron James

• "I don’t want to go "Ring - Chasing" as I call it, you know. Going to a team that’s already pretty established and trying to win a ring with them. I want to stay with the Cavs and build a champion." - LeBron James

He then quickly woke up from that nightmare and realized the Cavs weren't doing anything to help him win

He then quickly woke up from that nightmare and realized the Cavs weren't doing anything to help him win

Not true man.  They gave him a father figure in Delonte West. 

He avoided the fate of so many great players that stay with terrible organizations.  His mistake was going on TV and trying to turn his free agency decision into his own version of college decision day.  Leaving Cleveland for Miami should have been the easiest decision of his life.  Better team, taxes, media exposure, weather, and city.  Three years later he's got two rings and in sports decisions are usually judged by results.  

In all seriousness, that was one of the best NBA Finals ever.  Two incredibly good teams.

I don't think the two teams were incredibly good as much as they turned out to be very well matched.  Injuries majorly impacted both teams, the Spurs are old, and despite the Heats stars their interior defense almost proved to be the ventilation shaft on the death star.  A lot of recent NBA championship teams wold have likely destroyed what either squad put on the floor in the finals.  Last years Heat team looked a hell of a lot more potent for example.  

Whatever weird mix of injuries and team weaknesses made this years finals up did succeed in creating a great series to watch.  The teams were close enough that we saw a great coaching battle with major adjustments taking place from game to game, that I don't think are commonly seen in the finals.  Starting lineups changed, big contributors saw their minutes vanish completely and vice versa with games ending in alternating blowouts.  Awesome series to watch.  

This is not to say the Heat weren't good or unworthy.  They earned this ring and showed great heart in winning it and were obviously the best team in the NBA this season. 

He avoided the fate of so many great players that stay with terrible organizations.  His mistake was going on TV and trying to turn his free agency decision into his own version of college decision day.  Leaving Cleveland for Miami should have been the easiest decision of his life.  Better team, taxes, media exposure, weather, and city.  Three years later he's got two rings and in sports decisions are usually judged by results.  

and as a reminder, here's KG's quote...he shared the same sentiments as Lebron:

Garnett advised James to put loyalty to the Cavaliers aside and do what's best for himself and his family.

Noting the similarity in the two situations, Garnett said, "If I

could go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with

this organization, I'd have done it a little sooner."

Link

Anyways, I couldn't be happier for Lebron.  Games 6 and 7 defined his legacy.  To me, he's firmly cemented himself amongst the all-time greats.  I have never seen a better individual talent on the basketball court.  He's absolutely breathtaking to watch. 

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the HEat going forward. 

Just a random thought...can anyone else envision Carmelo bolting from the Knicks, taking less money, and joining LeBron in Miami in 2 years?  If not him, other players?  If you want a LEGIT chance of winning a ring, the mealticket is in Miami. 

Great point, if he had just made the decision without The Decision, people might look at him differently. 

Great point, if he had just made the decision without The Decision, people might look at him differently. 

The Decision is what soured a lot of people on Lebron.  It was a complete joke.  It should have never been done, and I think Lebron learned a huge lesson from that ordeal. 

However, that was 3 years ago and SHOULD be water under the bridge.  Most HOF players have some sort of hiccup either on or off the court.  The Decision was Lebron's. 

>> 

Garnett advised James to put loyalty to the Cavaliers aside and do what's best for himself and his family.

this organization, I'd have done it a little sooner."

Link

Anyways, I couldn't be happier for Lebron.  Games 6 and 7 defined his legacy.  To me, he's firmly cemented himself amongst the all-time greats.  I have never seen a better individual talent on the basketball court.  He's absolutely breathtaking to watch. 

Just a random thought...can anyone else envision Carmelo bolting from the Knicks, taking less money, and joining LeBron in Miami in 2 years?  If not him, other players?  If you want a LEGIT chance of winning a ring, the mealticket is in Miami. 

They'd have to do something with the Bosh or Wade for that to happen. Wade isn't going anywhere though because of his player option on his contract unless Miami wants to have a PR nightmare and trade him.

Honestly, if I am choosing between Bosh and Wade, I'd take Bosh at this point. His body isn't as broken down as Wade's appears to be heading and he does something different. Lebron and Wade have similar games and the +/- from this series has indicated its easier to defend when both are on the court even though it is a small sample size. Its been talked about the entire time the big 3 have been in Miami with some of the difficulty having both on the floor together on offense.

If I am looking to add to that core I want Lebron, Bosh and another player that brings something different to the table. It might not make them as exciting on offense but they might end up being a better team overall and better positioned for the long term.

Melo would be an interesting swap for Wade because while losing quite a bit defensively which is their identity, their offense would be insane with Melo. It probably wouldn't work though for much of the same reasons that they have trouble with Wade. Melo needs the ball in his hands too much. 

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the these guys in the next year or two. 

The Decision is what soured a lot of people on Lebron.  It was a complete joke.  It should have never been done, and I think Lebron learned a huge lesson from that ordeal. 

However, that was 3 years ago and SHOULD be water under the bridge.  Most HOF players have some sort of hiccup either on or off the court.  The Decision was Lebron's. 

I completely agree. I don't like Lebron but acknowledge that he gets WAY too much criticism. I don't have any facts to back this up, but had the Spurs hit a couple more shots down the stretch to steal last night's game, people would have crushed the man despite his incredibly clutch effort. 

He had a 75% chance (play well/lose, play poorly/lose, play poorly/win) of failing and a 25% chance (play well/win) of passing last night. To me, that's a bit unfair, but whatever. 

Also, I haven't checked any articles or headlines yet, but I really hope that someone has written "Re-Heat" to describe last night's win. 

I wanted to post this last night, but I was tired. But this is a perfect reason why I cheer so hard against the Heat...

This person was over my house last night and at halftime they said "I don't know who I want to cheer for. I don't like Lebron, but I like Wade. I like Tony Parker too. He is married to that Desperate Housewives lady." So I say that they got a divorce. They reply, "Oh. I am going for the Heat then." At the end of the game, all I heard from this person is "WOOOO HOOOO!!! Yeah MI-AM-MEEE!!! Champions!!! WOOOOO HOOOO!!"

That is why I root against the Heat. It aint the players, it is these bandwagon fans that hop on. This is the type of bull I have to deal with when the playoffs come around.

I wanted to post this last night, but I was tired. But this is a perfect reason why I cheer so hard against the Heat...

This person was over my house last night and at halftime they said "I don't know who I want to cheer for. I don't like Lebron, but I like Wade. I like Tony Parker too. He is married to that Desperate Housewives lady." So I say that they got a divorce. They reply, "Oh. I am going for the Heat then." At the end of the game, all I heard from this person is "WOOOO HOOOO!!! Yeah MI-AM-MEEE!!! Champions!!! WOOOOO HOOOO!!"

That is why I root against the Heat. It aint the players, it is these bandwagon fans that hop on. This is the type of bull I have to deal with when the playoffs come around.

Sounds like he's just a tool at heart.

>> 

this organization, I'd have done it a little sooner.

"

Link

They'd have to do something with the Bosh or Wade for that to happen. Wade isn't going anywhere though because of his player option on his contract unless Miami wants to have a PR nightmare and trade him.

Honestly, if I am choosing between Bosh and Wade, I'd take Bosh at this point. His body isn't as broken down as Wade's appears to be heading and he does something different. Lebron and Wade have similar games and the +/- from this series has indicated its easier to defend when both are on the court even though it is a small sample size. Its been talked about the entire time the big 3 have been in Miami with some of the difficulty having both on the floor together on offense.

If I am looking to add to that core I want Lebron, Bosh and another player that brings something different to the table. It might not make them as exciting on offense but they might end up being a better team overall and better positioned for the long term.

Melo would be an interesting swap for Wade because while losing quite a bit defensively which is their identity, their offense would be insane with Melo. It probably wouldn't work though for much of the same reasons that they have trouble with Wade. Melo needs the ball in his hands too much. 

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the these guys in the next year or two. 

If Melo was to go to Miami, I think he would actually show commitment to defense.  Spo and Lebron would demand it.  These guys know what it takes to win and would expect Melo to fall in line with their team principles. 

I know Wade's body is breaking down - and there were moments during the playoffs where he looked absolutely washed - however, he can still provide more of an in-game spark than Bosh.  On top of it all, Wade IS Miami basketball.  #3 will never be worn again in that city. 

Bosh, during the pacers series and vs. the Spurs looked COMPLETELY overmatched.  That being said, he's got trade value and there would be suitors for his services.  He's drifting further and further away from the basket on the offensive end.  I don't know if the Heat can 3-peat with Bosh playing the way he did.  I think Pat Riley is a smart man.  He'll do something to bolster the roster and I wouldn't be shocked to see Bosh playing elsewhere next year. 

You need to be more selective with your guest list. :)

You need to be more selective with your guest list. :)

It was my niece. I didn't put the gender because I wanted to see some responses....

But still, I have to deal with stuff like that around here every NBA Playoffs. It aint like bammas pick one team and stick with it. They always hope around.

Archived