Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Orleans Saints Bounty Suspensions OVERTURNED!! I AM HUGE

Sizzla3000

From Rotoworld:

In a stunning development, players suspended for their roles in the Saints' 2009-2011 Bounty Scandal have had their bans overturned on appeal.

Perhaps the most notable suspension lifted is RE Will Smith's. The Saints' best pass rusher will be able to start Sunday against the Redskins. Browns SLB Scott Fujita and Saints MLB Jonathan Vilma, among others, are now eligible to play football. Vilma has been away from the Saints rehabbing from knee surgeries, so it's unclear how much time he'll need to get back into the swing of things. Smith's return will make life quite a bit more difficult on Redskins rookie Robert Griffin III. Coaches Sean Payton and Joe Vitt, and GM Mickey Loomis' suspensions will remain intact.

So it sounds the only that will play is Smith. Vilma is still recovering from injury so who knows how close he is to playing.

"Wait... they are going to play the Redskins? **** those guys, let them play."

Will Smith is a beast. That sucks.

Maybe people can shut up about a betrayed and angry New Orleans crowd. We're the ones getting hosed with the salary cap reduction and now our offensive gameplay doesn't incorporate their best pass rusher in Will Smith.

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Like someone posted above, the Redskins pay players a lot of money during an uncapped year and lose 36 million in cap space. The Saints players were paid money to intentionally injure and knock others out of the game, and they get away scott free? I have never been more embarrassed to be a fan of the NFL, than I am right now. This whole thing was terribly handled by the NFL.

This is a good thing IMO.

We're playing the Saints...I'd rather play them at full strength to get a really good gauge of where we are as a team. Remember that their defense wasn't very good statistically WITH the suspended players last year...this isn't the death knell that some are making it out to be.

The real bonus here is the damage done to an out of control commissioner.

We're playing the Saints...I'd rather play them at full strength to get a really good gauge of where we are as a team. Remember that their defense wasn't very good statistically WITH the suspended players last year...this isn't the death knell that some are making it out to be.

We all saw how that worked out for Emperor Palpatine.

Exactly. I see a bunch of whining over one player, as if it would make a huge difference. If it did make a huge difference, then we have significant problems.

I'm curious how many people in this thread would go the other way if the redskins players continued to speak out about how this went on in our locker room (as they were until someone told them to stop), or if the NFL decided to punish us (which they could have, but elected not to to sweep the entire situation under the rug)

Absolutely ridiculous. it's one player, who cares. The damage done to the commissioner is much, much more important than the whining going on right now.

Only those players. No coaches will be un-suspended, from what I'm reading.

****...this is ridiculous. Just goes to show you that you can break the rules and get off scot-free!

They should be though now the arbitrator has decided there was no illegal bounty system in place.

It's odd how last-minute these decisions are made. They notified the Cowboys and Redskins about 24 hours before FA opened that they'd be penalized part of their cap. They overturn these suspensions to players less than 48 hours before these players might suit up for a game. Bizarre.

My thoughts exactly. Seems to reflect a lack of leadership & control, IMO.

It's odd how last-minute these decisions are made. They notified the Cowboys and Redskins about 24 hours before FA opened that they'd be penalized part of their cap. They overturn these suspensions to players less than 48 hours before these players might suit up for a game. Bizarre.

But remember this one wasn't made by the NFL

Wow:

1) On the "EVE" of free agency, the NFL informs the Washington Redskins that they will be penalized 36 million in cap space and 18 million of it will count this year.

2) On the "EVE" of final roster cutdowns, the NFL informs the Washington Redskins that the have finally made a decision on Tanard Jackson and he will be suspended for 1 year.

3) On the "EVE" (well, 2 days before) of the first game of the season, a court informs the NFL that 2 Saints who were suspended are eligible to play against the Washington Redskins.

Nope, no conspiracy. The NFL loves us. Make it what you will.

Not only is it unfair that the Saint's won't have any player suspensions for allowing the bounties to occur, but they also violated the Salary Cap by paying out unreported money to the players for their participation and the bounty "acheivements". So, if I'm correct, the Redskins are penalized for spending too much money during an uncapped year but the Saints pay out money that isn't reported to the league and applied to the Salary Cap and there is no penalty?

Wow:

1) On the "EVE" of free agency, the NFL informs the Washington Redskins that they will be penalized 36 million in cap space and 18 million of it will count this year.

2) On the "EVE" of final roster cutdowns, the NFL informs the Washington Redskins that the have finally made a decision on Tanard Jackson and he will be suspended for 1 year.

3) On the "EVE" (well, 2 days before) of the first game of the season, the NFL informs the Washington Redskins that 2 Saints who were suspended are eligible to play.

Again, this wasn't the NFL's decision. Not protecting them, but the NFL had nothing to do with this decision.

Wow:

3) On the "EVE" (well, 2 days before) of the first game of the season, the NFL informs the Washington Redskins that 2 Saints who were suspended are eligible to play.

If you think this 3 judge panel overturning the suspension is a good thing for the NFL, or that they would allow that to somehow get after us, then you need your head examined.

I mean for crying out loud it wasn't even the NFL who made this decision, it was arbitrators...

You people will go to great lengths to pit the world against us and draw up some crazy conspiracy theories.

Archived