Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Apple triumphs over Samsung in landmark patent case

MattFancy

the iphone is mediocre for the price: it has 1 crappy speaker that is only good with earbuds or in a library. (I have the music bullet for the house for Pandora and conference calls).

I've had 5 in the last 2years so i'm biased... (1 shattered tons glass shards,1 wouldn't charge, 1 wouldn't keep a charge for 4 hours, and one if you couldn't be heard on speaker you had to hang up and call back)

Again, have your Android all you want, but Im taking the NON 4G iPhone over the Samsung any day of the week

If you picked up the S3, no way you would ever go back to an iPhone. My wife is an Apple lover and when she uses my S3, she likes it way more than her iPhone 4.

The Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy SIII are vastly superior to the iPhone 4S. Android, you can do anything. A jailbroken iPhone is okay, a rooted Android is almost limitless. I mean really, who gets a 3G phone in 2011/2012? Might as well get dial-up internet too.

The Nexus is still the best IMO because it's real Android 4.0, not the bloated nonsense on every other phone.

There's a little bit more to the case than how the phones look.

Apple apparently has a patent on the idea of using the pinching gesture to zoom in and zoom out on the screen. Since other smart phone manufacturers have adopted that mechanic I'm not surprised to see Apple suing. I certainly don't blame them. That the whole point of a patent - to protect an idea that sets your company apart from the competition. The article doesn't specify, but there are six or seven other patents involved.

I think most people would agree that if you invent something and get it patented you're entitled to legal protection.

That said, Apple's pretty clearly trying to talk out of both sides of their mouth here. They have been active in trying to prevent a perceived monopoly on the part of Microsoft in the software arena, and yet they apparently believe they're entitled to a monopoly on the smart phone market.

That said, Apple's pretty clearly trying to talk out of both sides of their mouth here. They have been active in trying to prevent a perceived monopoly on the part of Microsoft in the software arena, and yet they apparently believe they're entitled to a monopoly on the smart phone market.

This. They can't touch Microsoft in the comp world, so why not become the Microsoft of the cell phone world.

I'm in the group of never owned an apple product ever, just never got on board with them. My sister's boyfriend and my uncle are both graphics designers and swear by Apple, so those two can have it.

You could argue that Newton Laid the Groundwork for Today's Mobile Industry, you remember the iSlate? early 90's

oh, handwriting recognition.

"Had Sculley let Jobs push Apple towards a mainstream consumer market, instead of the business crowd he favored, only god knows what world we would be living in right now. "

newtonipad.jpg

tablet project, iSlate

080447-messageslate_500.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the out and out hatred some people have towards electronics companies? People swearing up and down they hate apple, proud to never own anything apple, never will?

Ok, so?

I've got an iPhone 4, it's pretty cool. It does what I need it to do. I'd probably be happy with a Samsung, too. I just don't understand "phone wars".

I liken it to politics or football team fandom. I won't deny it, I'm an apple hater. Why? I think it's mostly about not wanting to be a stereotypical apple lover. And not wanting to "follow the crowd." I think that's why most people started disliking apple. I also don't like the apple interface and I've never gotten used to their operating system. I just prefer PCs and google.

I've owned an ipod before and it broke. In order to reset it, I had to research how to do it on the internet. I prefer more controls on my things. I have a cheap little phillips mp3 player that is still going strong.

Now, if someone gave me an iPad I wouldn't complain...but I'm not going to spend $700 on one or $1000+ on a laptop when I can get a similarly spec'd product for hundreds cheaper.

. I also don't like the apple interface and I've never gotten used to their operating system.

I prefer more controls on my things

I had a problem with reading and writing. The dyslexic boarding school I attendeded was one of the first to teach through visual communication which was done through apple's iconic visual interface when PC's were still DOS back in '91'

For me its easier to use because of the visual 'icons' or navigation.

I kind of distinguish the two by

Apple-icon's

PC- words

doesn't make one or the other better just a different way of looking at things.

"Like you said prefer more stuff or controls"

All of this can be done on a MAC, but it may not be in front of you like the old apple mouse "one click," not a second button for a "control click"

Again computing etc... is personal preference, but I think back in the day Apple was trying to make a personal and easy way of computing which hide extra controls that weren't right in front of you

Pretty sure there were internal Samsung documents that flat out said they were going to blatantly copy some of Apples patents. With that said, some of the things the court found to be infringement were also pretty bogus.

I'm with a few of the others - I don't get the outright hate/fanboyism a lot of people seem to have for/against Apple/Android/etc. People are looking for different things from their phones so I'm not sure how you can come out and say "x phone is soooooooo much better than y phone". The higher-tier Android devices are definitely more suited for people who want to do a ton of customization and other cool things with their phones, while the Apple devices are pretty basic but incredibly intuitive and "just work". The lower-tiered Androids are pretty much crap IMHO.

Apple apparently has a patent on the idea of using the pinching gesture to zoom in and zoom out on the screen. Since other smart phone manufacturers have adopted that mechanic I'm not surprised to see Apple suing. I certainly don't blame them. That the whole point of a patent - to protect an idea that sets your company apart from the competition. The article doesn't specify, but there are six or seven other patents involved.

I think most people would agree that if you invent something and get it patented you're entitled to legal protection.

Apple is playing a dangerous game. Google-Moto filed suit against them for patent infringement as well and could face the same bans as Samsung.

Pretty sure there were internal Samsung documents that flat out said they were going to blatantly copy some of Apples patents. With that said, some of the things the court found to be infringement were also pretty bogus.

I'm with a few of the others - I don't get the outright hate/fanboyism a lot of people seem to have for/against Apple/Android/etc. People are looking for different things from their phones so I'm not sure how you can come out and say "x phone is soooooooo much better than y phone". The higher-tier Android devices are definitely more suited for people who want to do a ton of customization and other cool things with their phones, while the Apple devices are pretty basic but incredibly intuitive and "just work". The lower-tiered Androids are pretty much crap IMHO.

Its not that i hate the phone, I just don't understand why people insist on paying more for less. Makes no sense.

Its not that i hate the phone, I just don't understand why people insist on paying more for less. Makes no sense.

It doesn't make sense to you.

You can make lists and lists and some people like one, some like the other. Who cares, you have a choice and that's a good thing.

Paying more for less? Not sure why you say "pay more".

The Galaxy Nexus was $300 when it first came out - and has had quite a few problems since it was released. The Galaxy 3 is the same price as an iPhone 4S and you can get the 4 for $100-$150 less than that.

Any Android device that actually competes with or exceeds the iPhone in functionality isn't going to be cheap. The Nexus can be had for almost nothing now but it has also been plagued with several problems.

For those of you that don't understand the fanboy hate or whatever you want to call it, it's probably because you don't understand or care for computer history.

There's nothing wrong with that, you're more then welcome to continue making your phone calls on whatever and playing your angry birds. But if you do want to better understand what we're talking about or why we're talking about it, start by watching a movie like "Pirates of Silicon Valley". Some of us are geeks at heart and understand that a lot of American IT companies are run by thieves and liars that are hell bent on monopoly status. Learn you history before you start wondering why we give a damn...

As to the ruling, at what point is the US government going to step in on Apple and their attempts to run a monopoly over the smart phone market? They've already, along with other international governments, come after Microsoft and their ways. Typical government policy falling behind IT technology. :doh:

And if you didn't know, this does directly affect all of us.

Paying more for less? Not sure why you say "pay more".

The Galaxy Nexus was $300 when it first came out - and has had quite a few problems since it was released. The Galaxy 3 is the same price as an iPhone 4S and you can get the 4 for $100-$150 less than that.

Any Android device that actually competes with or exceeds the iPhone in functionality isn't going to be cheap. The Nexus can be had for almost nothing now but it has also been plagued with several problems.

what were the documented problems with the galaxy nexus? I've had one since day one but have been unaware of such problems.

P.S. are you formerly JMU Alum 07?

Right now Samsung is eating Apple's lunch in the smart phone market. Reading thru the OP I have to laugh at the language of a ban on the phones. It seems silly but I have to give Apple some props of being consistently ahead of the game on many fronts. The iPhone though has really fallen behind a number of other phones tho'

For those of you that don't understand the fanboy hate or whatever you want to call it, it's probably because you don't understand or care for computer history.

Some of us understand it, imagine that. :)

You are 24 and want to talk about history of computers :ols:

Yeah some of us know the history, at least I do.

Archived